• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fabio Paratici - Consultant

Trippier on the war path. Echoing what many of us have said about getting rid of Dembele.
Yes, he’s not holding back. So we finally understand what was bothering him. Re: Dembele, if we’d managed to keep him fit, he would’ve made all the difference in the final, although having said that, all the games would’ve played out completely differently, wouldn’t they? No lofted back from Sissoko to Llorente against Ajax, for sure!

Did we get rid of Dembele? Was it not more a case he wanted to leave?

We wasn't going to give him a new contract I believe it was.

'What annoyed me… as you know, people in football speak and there are always rumours, but I know 100 per cent for a fact – and this is what I was most angry about – that two months before the end of the season, Daniel (Levy, the chairman) was offering me to other clubs.'

'I knew for certain that was happening, so I knew my time there must be up. I was playing for my team-mates and the supporters, but I also knew I wasn't wanted.'

'For me, the big one was selling Mousa Dembele that January,' he added. 'I think I can speak on behalf of the players who were there.

'In the dressing room, he was an unbelievable person and all the lads loved him, but on the pitch he was the kind of player who would make a couple of per cent difference. That's what wins you things.

'It baffled me that they would sell him. I know he was going to be a free (transfer) in the summer, but with the things we were challenging for, I would have kept him there and then let him go. He was the difference between winning a trophy or not.'

We wasn't going to give him a new contract I believe it was.

'What annoyed me… as you know, people in football speak and there are always rumours, but I know 100 per cent for a fact – and this is what I was most angry about – that two months before the end of the season, Daniel (Levy, the chairman) was offering me to other clubs.'

'I knew for certain that was happening, so I knew my time there must be up. I was playing for my team-mates and the supporters, but I also knew I wasn't wanted.'

'For me, the big one was selling Mousa Dembele that January,' he added. 'I think I can speak on behalf of the players who were there.

'In the dressing room, he was an unbelievable person and all the lads loved him, but on the pitch he was the kind of player who would make a couple of per cent difference. That's what wins you things.

'It baffled me that they would sell him. I know he was going to be a free (transfer) in the summer, but with the things we were challenging for, I would have kept him there and then let him go. He was the difference between winning a trophy or not.'

Except we never did win anything when Dembele was there.
How many s/f defeats again? How many final losses?

People often compare football clubs to any other business. Not exactly a like for like comparison to a company like Apple but I can see logic in the reasoning. The big difference in football is that most companies listen to their consumers or customers. Football clubs don’t. The people at the top don’t anyway.

I understand why people respect levy and Lewis for the jobs they have done for the first 10-15 years of their tenures, but I am baffled as to why so many are so loyal to them even to this day when we’ve won 1 trophy in over 20 years. It feels like some would be perfectly happy with them in charge for another 50 years even if it brings minimal success in terms of silverware. We all want the club to be well run and economically sound, but isn’t success on the pitch the most important thing? After all, isn’t that why so many on here get so upset when Liverpool win football matches and big trophies? If money was the be all and end all then why don’t we big ourselves up more for smashing them in the money league/net spend league table?

to stick with Apple, this is Steve Jobs on listening to customers,

"Some people say give the customers what they want, but that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, 'If I'd ask customers what they wanted, they would've told me a faster horse.' People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page."

You make reasonable points and we should definitely had at least another couple of pots for our troubles over the last 20 years. However, I feel that the key here is people’s definition of success, particularly on the pitch, differs.

2015-19 was the most fun I’ve had supporting Spurs in my lifetime and we didn’t win a jot. Or be ‘successful’, to use the above yardstick. Call me an old romantic, call me a fool, but I wouldn’t roll the dice and replay those years for anything.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense yes. It’s fair to say we were an underachieving, mid-table club when ENIC took over. It took time but we did slowly climb the ladder under their tenure and managed to become a regular fixture in the top 4. That is no easy feat and they deserve credit for that. I just think they failed to recognise the opportunity we had under Poch and we paying the price for it with the lack of investment with Poch and the failed managerial appointments of Jose and Nuno. They don’t get a life pass or at least I don’t think they should. Just been too many mistakes in the last few years for me; hiring Jose, sacking him a week before a cup final, lacklustre transfer windows (or sometimes nothing at all), not to mention the farcical search for a manager last summer. If they had taken their time but ultimately appointed the right guy I think a lot of us would have accepted that. But we ended up with Nuno which was greeted with a meh response and ultimately that’s how the results played out. If you look at a club like Arsenal, they at least went for arteta who plays football akin to what they were used to under Wenger. There’s some form of continuity there. With Levy, he just goes from one type of coach to the next; experienced no-nonsense type (Harry), boring (AVB), up and coming (Poch), winner (Jose), Nuno and now Conte. Fair to say he’s pulled off a blinder getting Conte but looking back at those other coaches, they have a different style of play. Almost like he is guessing and doesn’t really know what he’s doing some might say.

to stick with Apple, this is Steve Jobs on listening to customers,

"Some people say give the customers what they want, but that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, 'If I'd ask customers what they wanted, they would've told me a faster horse.' People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page."

Yes but if a product doesn’t sell they retire it and replace it with something else. So in essence they do listen to customers, ie the sales tell them that a product isn’t what the customer wants, they don’t keep selling it.

I think it’s more than reasonable to respect the job they did for the first 15 years but not be so enamoured with the job done over the last 5. No player or manager gets a life pass so why should it be any different for the owners? Wenger won everything at Arsenal except for the CL but he was still their most successful manager in their history, but even he should have called it day sooner than he did.

Yes but if a product doesn’t sell they retire it and replace it with something else. So in essence they do listen to customers, ie the sales tell them that a product isn’t what the customer wants, they don’t keep selling it.

I think it’s more than reasonable to respect the job they did for the first 15 years but not be so enamoured with the job done over the last 5. No player or manager gets a life pass so why should it be any different for the owners? Wenger won everything at Arsenal except for the CL but he was still their most successful manager in their history, but even he should have called it day sooner than he did.

They retire and replace products that did sell, because better was possible, look at the iPod.

There is a better way of wining football, a doped financial arms race is bad, we're trying to do things differently, if it comes off not only do we win, but we cut the legs out of everybody else, completely discredit their so called achievements, I'd rather strive for perfection and miss than cheat our way to some hollow fleeting success.

Absolutely no headwinds in the last 5 years?

They retire and replace products that did sell, because better was possible, look at the iPod.

There is a better way of wining football, a doped financial arms race is bad, we're trying to do things differently, if it comes off not only do we win, but we cut the legs out of everybody else, completely discredit their so called achievements, I'd rather strive for perfection and miss than cheat our way to some hollow fleeting success.

It’s not cheating to spend money. At this point it would be levelling the playing field. We have tried admirably to do things right but you reduce your chances of winning if you aren’t willing to spend money. What if we go another 10-20 years and don’t win anything? At what point will your opinion of them change? Do you not agree that they should be held to the same standards as players and managers are? If a player doesn’t perform he gets sold. If a manager achieves poor results he gets sacked.

Absolutely no headwinds in the last 5 years?

Of course we have but I would put that down more to Poch and the development he oversaw with the squad more than Levy’s brilliance. We achieved great things on the pitch in spite of not signing a single player for three consecutive windows. The decline of the team is down to the mismanagement of the squad and poor transfer windows. Levy has redeemed himself somewhat by getting Conte but if he doesn’t back him or it fails then i really don’t see where Levy goes next as he has tried just about everything else.

Remember when people were saying the club should move players on quicker before they decline?
Selling Dembele was the right thing to do. He was broken and his performance level had dropped massively. The lack of replacement is the issue not the sale.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It’s not cheating to spend money. At this point it would be levelling the playing field. We have tried admirably to do things right but you reduce your chances of winning if you aren’t willing to spend money. What if we go another 10-20 years and don’t win anything? At what point will your opinion of them change? Do you not agree that they should be held to the same standards as players and managers are? If a player doesn’t perform he gets sold. If a manager achieves poor results he gets sacked.

it is cheating if it's money you've not earned

my opinion changing is irrelevant, they can't really be held to any standards as the club is theirs, they are free to do with it as they wish, if I didn't agree with their direction and management I'd maybe go and support a club who's owners did match my ideals, it's only football

Back