• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European U-21 Championship

theres nothing much wrong with the current generation of u21-u23 players. its just that our best ones didnt play in this tournament.

I might be wrong here but other nations surely must have left a few good players at home as well?

I might be wrong here but other nations surely must have left a few good players at home as well?

The two countries in each group with most senior internationals in their squad went through.

Group A Pts Players with caps
Denmark 6 10
Germany 5 6
Czech 4 4
Serbia 1 3

Group B Pts Players with caps
Portugal 5 8
Sweden 4 11
Italy 4 0
England 3 5

The two countries in each group with most senior internationals in their squad went through.

Group A Pts Players with caps
Denmark 6 10
Germany 5 6
Czech 4 4
Serbia 1 3

Group B Pts Players with caps
Portugal 5 8
Sweden 4 11
Italy 4 0
England 3 5

Appears I am wrong then. But at the same time I still think success at this competion is over rated.

We finished as runner ups in 2009 and since then that team has gone on to achieve.. well nothing.

In 1984 we won the tournament, just two years beofre we were robbed by Diego Marradona in Mexico. But if you look at that team that won it in 1984, in their international careers they went on to achieve... : (old daily mail) link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...9/Whatever-happened-Englands-heroes-1984.html

well, again nothing.

EDIT: Mind you reading through the link seems half the squad were cursed and either had their careers ended or ended up battling life threatening conditions!

Last edited:
Appears I am wrong then. But at the same time I still think success at this competion is over rated.

We finished as runner ups in 2009 and since then that team has gone on to achieve.. well nothing.

In 1984 we won the tournament, just two years beofre we were robbed by Diego Marradona in Mexico. But if you look at that team that won it in 1984, in their international careers they went on to achieve... : (old daily mail) link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...9/Whatever-happened-Englands-heroes-1984.html

well, again nothing.

EDIT: Mind you reading through the link seems half the squad were cursed and either had their careers ended or ended up battling life threatening conditions!

The problem really is players don't want to step down a level from full international to u21 to play in the tournament when they qualify.
But when a country like Sweden or Denmark qualify their players are happy to as its seen a bigger thing for their country.

The German team that beat England from 2009 hasnt done to bad. Neuer, Ozil, Kheidra, Boeteng, Hummels, Howedes.

The problem really is players don't want to step down a level from full international to u21 to play in the tournament when they qualify.
But when a country like Sweden or Denmark qualify their players are happy to as its seen a bigger thing for their country.

The German team that beat England from 2009 hasnt done to bad. Neuer, Ozil, Kheidra, Boeteng, Hummels, Howedes.

Probably because their players aren't paid £70k a week in the EPL and actually think playing for their country is an honour and not a burden against their social life.

That's good point, I do seem to recall Bentley refusing a call up for the same tournament, but maybe at that point he'd fallen out of love with international football after realising the pay isn't as great.

those guys werent senior players for germany at the time iirc. that was just a freak golden generation imo.

Portugal making fun of Germany right now, 5-0 up

What a brilliant player William Carvalho is - player of the tournament for me

If only we could get him to Spurs - an absolute beast

Back