• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Won't be long till there's official time outs sponsored by Lucozade and matches dividied into quarters sponsored by McDonalds. Then probably no more draws - pelanty shoot outs after 90 minutes etc.

You know one of those things already exists right.

These clubs can’t be relegated from the ESL as founder members. Means they can loose every week and there’s no problem . Will still get their money. That’s not how sport should work. You think Levy will care if we are winning it ? Not in my eyes as the revenue is protected.

Destroys sporting merit. Us and the scum are both awful sides not qualifying for Europe but low and behold it does not matter we’ve wangled our way in.

Real Madrid are skint . Spunked 130 million on a 29 year old Hazard and now want to moan about revenue it’s wrong. Juve going to miss out on Champs league revenue and they want to jump ship.

American business model of a closed shop to keep revenue high regardless of performance.

Please .. there are many sports without relegation, international sport has no concept of relegation

There is titles to win (thought players want to leave for medals all the time?), pride and yes, extra money for finalists

You think Messi, Ronaldo, etc. don't want to win, the coaches don't want to win?

Please .. there are many sports without relegation, international sport has no concept of relegation

There is titles to win (thought players want to leave for medals all the time?), pride and yes, extra money for finalists

You think Messi, Ronaldo, etc. don't want to win, the coaches don't want to win?

Relegation is a part of football leagues. This takes that away. not a league that always has same 15 teams.

Messi and Ronaldo ok they might . What about Mr Levy ? He’s not done to great lately on squad investment and football side of things.

He’s a money man that’s it. Wants to make maximum profit without any risk. That’s what happens in American Sport once you are in it’s the gravy train. They don’t want to operate when their is risk of relegation involved in the business model.

Levy liked the extra revenue from the Champs league we have had stadium to pay for all that. He’s failed to back Poch and the squads not what it should be so now we are going gonad*s to getting to the big comps on merit we will join a closed shop. Franchise football.

Relegation and promotion.

But this is about the mid-week European competition. It doesn't replace the Premier League or national leagues. They would continue with promotion and relegation, and the Super League clubs would continue to be a part of them with the risk (now reduced due to the cash) of low position and relegation within them.

There's never been promotion or relegation from European-wide competitions, just qualifying for it each season.

Relegation is a bit of a misnomer imo. Qualification is a part of the exciting CL structure and international football.

Scrapping that is the one biggest change this brings (assuming clubs stay in domestic competitions), but it's a massive one. If not for that change I wouldn't care much about UEFA losing power, money and influence to clubs.

I'd definitely rather be in than out, I don't want it to happen, I don't think Spurs and Levy have any real influence on it happening or not.

It's a seismic shift, it's not the end or death of football, but the consequences will be massive. Particularly for clubs that are big, but not quite big enough to be founding members.

But this is about the mid-week European competition. It doesn't replace the Premier League or national leagues. They would continue with promotion and relegation.

There's never been promotion or relegation from European-wide competitions, just qualifying for it each season.

Qualifying is the same thing. You should only be there if you are good enough on the pitch. Not because you have financial clout. Us and the scum are not good enough to be there. It’s a nonsense makes a mockery of sporting merit.

I don't like West Ham but how are they and Leicester feeling right now? They've had much better seasons than us but it could all be for nothing.

A data point to add, there are active league systems which use averaging (historical performance) to determine relegation places, Argentina for example.

And, not every team that wins its division in the English pyramid is guaranteed promotion, this is in some cases determined by whether or not you have the money required to bring your stadium up to minimum league standards.

But this is about the mid-week European competition. It doesn't replace the Premier League or national leagues. They would continue with promotion and relegation, and the Super League clubs would continue to be a part of them with the risk (now reduced due to the cash) of low position and relegation within them.

Yes that’s what the clubs want. But you can’t have club A in a competition that clubs G-T can’t compete in and therefore can’t have any chance of gaining financially from it. Creates a complete unbalanced playing field in the national leagues.
That’s why the leagues say if your in that then your out.

Relegation is a bit of a misnomer imo. Qualification is a part of the exciting CL structure and international football.

Scrapping that is the one biggest change this brings (assuming clubs stay in domestic competitions), but it's a massive one. If not for that change I wouldn't care much about UEFA losing power, money and influence to clubs.

I'd definitely rather be in than out, I don't want it to happen, I don't think Spurs and Levy have any real influence on it happening or not.

It's a seismic shift, it's not the end or death of football, but the consequences will be massive. Particularly for clubs that are big, but not quite big enough to be founding members.

Yes, and there's probably some scope about qualifying to make it more open which will get this over the line

Perhaps a SuperLeague A and B or something like that, or gauranteed places for the first 5 or 10 years or something

I guess that makes me an old fart but that would probably be the last straw for me, too.

I understand it could be considered irrational or even hypocritical coming from an oversea fan (one who hardly goes to game anymore, I might add) but one of the reasons I never got into American sports is precisely the concept of seeing the same teams (sorry 'franchises') compete against each other, over and over again. Spoils the fun for me. I only watch the Champions League when we're in it. Like others have said in this very thread, they let the big clubs grow too big and now it's (predictably) out of control.

In any case, I have no interest in seeing us play Real Madrid or Emirates Marketing Project every other week. I'll go even further and say I had more fun watching Ardiles' team playing Swindon and Oldham than anything I've experienced with Spurs over the last couple of seasons - CL run excluded. What made that run or the Inter games so exciting at the time is that they were something out of the ordinary. Where are we going to get that sense of wonder from, once the novelty of the ESL has worn off?

Again, I don't dispute the fact that it was always meant to evolve the way it has. I also agree that the ESL is just a step up from the Champions League. And I understand why that might appeal to some people - it's just not for me. I still love the club and I can't wish anything bad to Spurs but if I'm being honest with myself, if I were supporting any other team, I'd wish they'd kick us out of the Premier League. The gap in financial income is going to make the competition completely irrelevant, if it wasn't already. At least, let the other fans have some fun.

Yes that’s what the clubs want. But you can’t have club A in a competition that clubs G-T can’t compete in and therefore can’t have any chance of gaining financially from it. Creates a complete unbalanced playing field in the national leagues.
That’s why the leagues say if your in that then your out.

That is already the case with CL money.

I guess that makes me an old fart but that would probably be the last straw for me, too.

I understand it could be considered irrational or even hypocritical coming from an oversea fan (one who hardly goes to game anymore, I might add) but one of the reasons I never got into American sports is precisely the concept of seeing the same teams (sorry 'franchises') compete against each other, over and over again. Spoils the fun for me. I only watch the Champions League when we're in it. Like others have said in this very thread, they let the big clubs grow too big and now it's (predictably) out of control.

In any case, I have no interest in seeing us play Real Madrid or Emirates Marketing Project every other week. I'll go even further and say I had more fun watching Ardiles' team playing Swindon and Oldham than anything I've experienced with Spurs over the last couple of seasons - CL run excluded. What made that run or the Inter games so exciting at the time is that they were something out of the ordinary. Where are we going to get that sense of wonder from, once the novelty of the ESL has worn off?

Again, I don't dispute the fact that it was always meant to evolve the way it has. I also agree that the ESL is just a step up from the Champions League. And I understand why that might appeal to some people - it's just not for me. I still love the club and I can't wish anything bad to Spurs but if I'm being honest with myself, if I were supporting any other team, I'd wish they'd kick us out of the Premier League. The gap in financial income is going to make the competition completely irrelevant, if it wasn't already. At least, let the other fans have some fun.

Teams do change though, yes the shirt is the same colour but playing Fergie’s United was a very different spectacle to Moyes’ side.

There is always something new to analyse.

I don't like West Ham but how are they and Leicester feeling right now? They've had much better seasons than us but it could all be for nothing.
How would it be for nothing? The Champions League will still exist and there will be better sides than them for them to put their wits against....

Back