• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Leaked SL justification documentation.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ed-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

Two things jump out to be as being brilliant,

- changes in live match distribution formats
- technology-enhanced rule implementation

I'm sure there's a lot of good ideas in there, the current format of European competition certainly needs work, but they're removing the one thing that really makes it interesting: Unpredictability.

There's something that isn't needed and that's more money. It's bad enough that once great clubs from lesser leagues have been turned into also rans thanks to a small group of clubs thinking they deserve all the money, now they want to decide who gets to enter the competition in the first place.

UEFA have fudged themselves by letting the CL become what it is now in the first place. Football would be much better off with an Ajax or Porto or Spartak Moscow or Olympiakos that was able to compete at the highest level regularly and not just once in a generation if they're lucky enough to bring through and hang on to group of players long enough to achieve something before the getting ripped apart.

I'm sure there's a lot of good ideas in there, the current format of European competition certainly needs work, but they're removing the one thing that really makes it interesting: Unpredictability.

There's something that isn't needed and that's more money. It's bad enough that once great clubs from lesser leagues have been turned into also rans thanks to a small group of clubs thinking they deserve all the money, now they want to decide who gets to enter the competition in the first place.

UEFA have fudged themselves by letting the CL become what it is now in the first place. Football would be much better off with an Ajax or Porto or Spartak Moscow or Olympiakos that was able to compete at the highest level regularly and not just once in a generation if they're lucky enough to bring through and hang on to group of players long enough to achieve something before the getting ripped apart.

My hope is that with all involved being stinking rich, and now direct rivals, the financial mismatch will be neutralised somewhat, yes City can spend more but other SL clubs won’t need to sell or want their player becoming an opponent.

So who are the other 3 clubs then? German teams have said no, PSG out and Porto have also said no. Ajax perhaps and they are a genuine European giant and potentially Benfica.

I wonder if the eventual outcome might be a 2 tier league with promotion and relegation so Everton, Leicester etc could go into that.

For an English club it's just going to be repeat games against other English teams for half of it.

It’s actually MAD, to get a rival to sell you a player you want you’d have to give them so much money that they would definitely be able to go and get the player they want,

You can’t strengthen without risking your rival strengthening even more.

That could be quite good.

So who are the other 3 clubs then? German teams have said no, PSG out and Porto have also said no. Ajax perhaps and they are a genuine European giant and potentially Benfica.

I wonder if the eventual outcome might be a 2 tier league with promotion and relegation so Everton, Leicester etc could go into that.

For an English club it's just going to be repeat games against other English teams for half of it.

I wouldnt rule the Germans and PSG out yet. The germans need votes from their fans

And as someone said earlier, the press release from the ESL has German and French PR firms advising...coincidence?

Sky released a statement saying they've not been involved in any discussions with the Super League.
Which formalises their professional objection to all of this.

Sky released a statement saying they've not been involved in any discussions with the Super League.
Which formalises their professional objection to all of Derp

I imagine they are filling their pants as the six clubs must make up over 80% of their customers. I remember being at a meeting with Greg Dyke at ITV when he got the news Sky had outbid them for PL, he went mental and stormed out of the meeting leaving about 20 important people and me bemused.

I wouldnt rule the Germans and PSG out yet. The germans need votes from their fans

And as someone said earlier, the press release from the ESL has German and French PR firms advising...coincidence?

Yeah you never know, money talks but at least in Germany if they do it's because the fans have gone for it.

This. I honestly cannot believe that PSG aren't involved. This is all about money and they have a shedload of it, plus they're so far ahead of the other French teams that League 1 titles barely matter.

But who else? The German clubs all have a significant component of fan ownership, so I can see them being reticent...but maybe, like PSG, Bayern and Dortmund are holding back until they can clear it with their boards? What about Leipzig? There's another financially doped club, along with a system of financially doped feeder clubs.

I'm not sure Porto or Benfica are big enough (although I'm not doubting their pedigree). Same with the Dutch and Turkish clubs. But what about Zenit St Petersburg?

Derp I honestly cannot believe that PSG aren't involved. This is all about money and they have a shedload of it, plus they're so far ahead of the other French teams that League 1 titles barely matter.

But who else? The German clubs all have a significant component of fan ownership, so I can see them being reticent...but maybe, like PSG, Bayern and Dortmund are holding back until they can clear it with their boards? What about Leipzig? There's another financially doped club, along with a system of financially doped feeder clubs.

I'm not sure Porto or Benfica are big enough (although I'm not doubting their pedigree). Same with the Dutch and Turkish clubs. But what about Zenit St Petersburg?

The guy that owns PSG also owns the company that has most of the global CL TV rights.

Are you not a person?

I am but not as important as the others at the meeting thought they were. It was a government meeting about the impact of the high speed rail development on the Waterloo area. The major players in the area took turns hosting the meetings and this meeting was at the London Weekend Studios.

Back