• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

The German clubs cant be for it given that their majority owned by fans. Therefore they'll need to go to fans to vote for it. I suspect they'll let the dust settle and then when the ESL looks inevitable, Bayern and DOrtmund would get a vote from fans

PSG - seems odd that they're not named, and cant think why they would want it given their ownership. Maybe its to do with their spat with UEFA over financial fair play and/or they have some court case relating to that at the moment? Dont know
I thought Bayern and Red Bull were exceptions to the fan ownership. I may be mistaken.

PSG surprised me. Someone made the point that it's better for them to dominate France and when the ESL starts they have better opportunity to dominate the CL.

And therefore German fans cut their clubs out of 500M+ first year and some percentage of ongoing revenue (founder bonus), for integrity ..

Not sure. The 3 unnamed clubs have clearly been involved in discussions otherwise it wouldnt be possible to say that there are 3 of them. Maybe they'll become founder clubs, and perhaps have signed non-binding side letters which say that they'll join subject to fan approval....but they're wary of the reaction so dont want to disclose that yet?

Just look at the football pyramid it’s all set out , the league system in the country is all linked under the FA and Regional FA’s
92 league clubs
Then into the Steps of Non league and beyond promotion and relegation all the way down to the amateurs on a Saturday and kids on a Sunday playing grass roots to development football and academy. It all lives and breaths together.

I understand that in theory, but the link from Acrington Stanley to premier league is tenuous at best...it has been a "closed shop" for a very long time in my opinion. This is just more overt

Unless it expands beyond the 12 teams the new venture will become quite boring after a while - part of what makes European football interesting is the variety of opposition and the knockout nature of it - Uefa had already diluted that experience because of greed themselves, the variety taken away by seeding and the endless qualifying rounds meaning very few different teams make it through to the groups and then the group stages themselves which are mostly a bore.

Unless it expands beyond the 12 teams the new venture will become quite boring after a while - part of what makes European football interesting is the variety of opposition and the knockout nature of it - Uefa had already diluted that experience because of greed themselves, the variety taken away by seeding and the endless qualifying rounds meaning very few different teams make it through to the groups and then the group stages themselves which are mostly a bore.

Its 15 teams plus 5 qualifiers isnt it? And split into 2 * 10 team divisions, presumably randomly drawn each year

What backlash mate? you think people didn't know there would be some negative press?

Choice
- Give into some people who probably don't spend any money at your club anyway or take £500M and ride it out?

There will be a huge marketing campaign already built
- Ronaldo, Messi, Kane, KDB, etc. play each other every week

This is back to the fallacy that local supporters have some material leverage over these clubs, you think United is huge because of UK fans?

Maybe not to the extent there has been ultimately football is about the fans and if the ones who go to the games lose interest then I wonder what's really left.

I don't blame Levy for signing up to it, given we've won nothing of note in years how could he really say no.

I still believe fans have leverage but we'll soon see.

Not even against the idea of a league really, more against one that gives you mandatory entry and reduces the league to a 2nd tier competition.

Do you know what’s absolutely hilarious, all these pundits getting on their high horse saying its not good for football, its all about the money etc knowing full well the company they work for will be one of the biggest contributors to this. I wonder if they all quit their jobs when Sky and BT follow the cash.

I understand that in theory, but the link from Acrington Stanley to premier league is tenuous at best...it has been a "closed shop" for a very long time in my opinion. This is just more overt
What about clubs like Bournemouth ? They were on the brink of Non League got to the prem stayed there for a while. There has to be the possibility of movement.

It’s a horrible idea. And I hope the domestic leagues rightly get it stamped out. Joel Glazer and Woodward and JP Morgan are the architects disgusting to think these entity’s are trying to do this. It’s about Money more and more Money.

Who will pay for it ultimately ? Us . Expensive subscriptions already exist it will get worse. PPV games it’s all coming if this goes through.

Spurs fans have sneered at the likes of City and Chelsea and their doped clubs skewing the league. But it’s ok now to do the same to feather our nest and dance on the rest of the English leagues by joining the ESL cartel.

Back