• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League - Round of 32: Fiorentina (ITA)

Re: The Race for Europe/6th Place

Of course if hull win next week they go straight into the group stages and we enter the 3rdqualifying round.

To reference an earlier post I don't think there's any 'crap countries' but there sure are some pub teams, who due to our high seeding are likely to be drawn against. Generally there are a higher proportion of east European venues than west European so unless we get an Irish or Scottish team as we have with hearts and shamrock in the past we are going to have to travel which for me is what makes the early rounds a chore.

Personally, in its current format, I think the top seeded teams should receive a bye into the first knockout round (round of 32).

3728.jpg

1445550_w2.jpg

COYS

Pleased we qualified. I remember the feeling when we played in Europe for the first time in 7 years in 2006 and the first time we properly progressed in 15/16 years and it was fantastic. That run to the quarter finals in 06/07 was brilliant and I want it again. I think some of our players like Kane, Bentaleb, Pritchard and Livermore will flourish in those qualifiers and the group stage and it will give them valuable, competitive game time against very different teams they would otherwise come up against.

Not to mention the CL qualification for the Winner which is massive but it will also be the eighth season from nine that we have played in European competition which can only be good for the club in terms of it's standing and the exposure we get across the continent.

Given their co efficients, we could easily get the likes of Mainz, Wolfsburg, Borussia Monchengladbach, Fiorentina, Real Sociedad and Saint Etienne in our group, should we get to that stage.

We need to manage the players that are available for those games better than we have this season at times and I think with the benefit of hindsight, a years more experience for certain players and better fortune, we will do.

Last edited:

Pleased we qualified. I remember the feeling when we played in Europe for the first time in 7 years in 2006 and the first time we properly progressed in 15/16 years and it was fantastic. That run to the quarter finals in 06/07 was brilliant and I want it again. I think some of our players like Kane, Bentaleb, Pritchard and Livermore will flourish in those qualifiers and the group stage and it will give them valuable, competitive game time against very different teams they would otherwise come up against.

Given their co efficients, we could easily get the likes of Mainz, Wolfsburg, Borussia Monchengladbach, Fiorentina, Real Sociedad and Saint Etienne in our group, should we get to that stage.

We need to manage the players that are available for those games better than we have this season at times and I think with the benefit of hindsight, a years more experience for certain players and better fortune, we will do.

I'd be excited if we get the teams you mention but we'll end up getting teams that none of us has ever heard of. The fact that the CL is on offer to the winners is incentive, about they only thing they could have done to make it more glamorous.

I'd be excited if we get the teams you mention but we'll end up getting teams that none of us has ever heard of. The fact that the CL is on offer to the winners is incentive, about they only thing they could have done to make it more glamorous.

Well to be honest, if those teams all make it to the draw for the group stages then it is likely that we will get at least one of those I have mentioned. Of course, in the 4th seeded pot especially, you will end up getting the likes of Tromso which is a bit of a waste of time but then that is what the extended squad is for and those games would be handled more comfortably next season by the players I mentioned than perhaps they would have been this season.

Straight knock out 2 legged ties (no groups) and no CL drop-outs. That would properly restore the prestige of the competition.

Winner goes in to the ECL right? If so - about effin time

Yup.

Spurs are on their way to Warsaw... [-o<

BBC Sport - Europa League winners will get Champions League place
The 2015 Europa League winners will qualify for the following season's Champions League, Uefa has confirmed.

The move is designed to boost interest in Europe's secondary club tournament.

The decision at Uefa's Congress follows months of talks between the governing body and the European Club Association.

Meanwhile, Berlin's Olympic Stadium has been revealed as the venue for the Champions League final in 2015, while the Europa League final that year will be held at Warsaw's National Stadium.

If it can happen, can't see why if we play away on a Thursday night play on a Monday night instead of a Sunday.

If the club are serious about the Europa cup put the question to the premier league. Getting a bit boring now on the same things getting said again and again about playing Thursday/Sunday.......put some ideas forward on how we can do things differently then.

Well I am looking forward to it, even if nobody else is.

Strange though, its apparantly that cr@p we still cant get a ticket for some of the away games if we can get the chance to go!

Every european away trip I've been on, there's always tickets available out there. There was plenty of tickets available for Benfica on twitter.

A couple of things I'm not clear about.

If we were to win the Europa Cup and finish the PL below fourth place, does the fourth place finisher still qualify for CL or does England earn a fifth berth?

If so, does the EL winner have to enter into early qualification rounds for CL or do they get straight entry into group stages (seems appropriate)?

Let's say Spurs play in the EL final and lose to a club who have already earned CL qualification by their domestic league placing. Would we get into CL play as losing finalist?

If the EL winner is not otherwise qualified for the CL, that country gets an extra spot.

If the CL winner is not otherwise qualified for the CL that country gets an extra spot unless it's a country with 4 spots, in that case the 4th placed team is dropped into the EL.

Let's say Spurs play in the EL final and lose to a club who have already earned CL qualification by their domestic league placing. Would we get into CL play as losing finalist?
No.
If the EL winner is not otherwise qualified for the CL, that country gets an extra spot.

If the CL winner is not otherwise qualified for the CL that country gets an extra spot unless it's a country with 4 spots, in that case the 4th placed team is dropped into the EL.

I think that's changed now but, as I understand it, the max number of CL places will be 5 so if EL and CL winner both come from a country which normally has 4 CL places and both finish outside top 4 the 4th placed team would not qualify for CL.

I think that's changed now but, as I understand it, the max number of CL places will be 5 so if EL and CL winner both come from a country which normally has 4 CL places and both finish outside top 4 the 4th placed team would not qualify for CL.

The 2014/15 regulations are still the same and I haven't seen anything written about a change regarding the CL winner.

Back