• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - QF Draw Friday 11.40 am

I bet we draw and then lose to Saudi Sportswashing Machine. That would be seriously hard to stomach :-&

Looking at Saudi Sportswashing Machine's team tonight, are a lot of their January signings cup-tied? If so then I'm glad they got through instead of Anzi, even more so if Cabaye is out for a while.

Draw hopes:

1 Basel
2 Benfica
3 Fenerbache
4 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
5 Rubin Kazan
6 Lazio
7 Chelsea

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Round of 16: Inter (ITA)

For what reason? I can understand wanting to avoid Chelsea but why Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

I can't answer for diego but I hate drawing English sides in European competition. We play them all the time. Been there. Seen it. Done it. Boring.

When Spurs play in European competition, I want to play against teams from other countries.

at home second leg in both ties and im not fussed who we get in the draw

Next games are played 4th and 11th of april.
If we draw Chelsea, since we meet them in the league as well at the time, 3 out of 4 games will be against them

So, did we actually gain anything for our UEFA co-efficient number by beating Lyon? According to the text copied below, from the UEFA web site, it would seem our win at WHL or draw at Lyon didn't gain us any points.

Advancing past Inter to the 1/4 finals seems to have only granted us a single, meagre point and would appear our 3-0 win doesn't earn us the two points granted for earlier, less important group wins. Seems strange. Anyone know better?

UEFA Europa League points system
First qualifying round elimination – 0.25 points
Second qualifying round elimination – 0.5 points
Third qualifying round elimination – 1 point
Play-off elimination – 1.5 points
Group stage win – 2 points
Group stage draw – 1 point

Since 2009/10, clubs have been guaranteed a minimum of two points if they reach the group stage and are awarded an additional point if they get to the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final.

*Penalty shoot-outs do not affect the calculation system.

Taken from here: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

Tottenham Hotspur (1971-72 & 1983-84) are the sole remaining previous winner of the trophy.

Lazio (1997-98 ) and Benfica (1982-83) have both been UEFA Cup runners-up.

UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea and Benfica are the only former European Cup winners in contention.

Last edited:

draw prediction........

Lazio v Rubin

Saudi Sportswashing Machine v Chelsea

Fenerbache v Tottenham

Benfica v Basel

I'd take this:

Chelsea vs Rubin
Saudi Sportswashing Machine vs Lazio
Basel vs Tottenham
Fenerbahce vs Benfica

So, did we actually gain anything for our UEFA co-efficient number by beating Lyon? According to the text copied below, from the UEFA web site, it would seem our win at WHL or draw at Lyon didn't gain us any points.

Advancing past Inter to the 1/4 finals seems to have only granted us a single, meagre point and would appear our 3-0 win doesn't earn us the two points granted for earlier, less important group wins. Seems strange. Anyone know better?

UEFA Europa League points system
First qualifying round elimination – 0.25 points
Second qualifying round elimination – 0.5 points
Third qualifying round elimination – 1 point
Play-off elimination – 1.5 points
Group stage win – 2 points
Group stage draw – 1 point

Since 2009/10, clubs have been guaranteed a minimum of two points if they reach the group stage and are awarded an additional point if they get to the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final.

*Penalty shoot-outs do not affect the calculation system.

Taken from here: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

UEFA's website is not very clear but we got 3 coefficient points from the results against Lyon - 2 for the win and 1 for the draw. We also will get 3 from the results against Inter - 2 for winning the 1st Leg and 1 for advancing to the quarter-final.

On UEFA's "Season club coefficients" page http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/seasonclub/index.html it currently shows we have 13 coefficient points for this season (plus 2.714 from the association coefficient). They haven't updated yet the 1 point from reaching the quarter-final so these points are:
2 group match wins = 2 x 2 = 4 points
4 group match draws = 4 points
Lyon = 3 points
Inter 1st Leg = 2 points
4 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 13 points

Good few outsiders laughed when AVB said these last two rounds were Cl type ties
Well the coefficient table tells you we have knocked out the 7th and 11th best teams in Europe (averaged over the last 5 years)

Nothing much to laugh about there. Excellent effort from the team - 2 x squeaky bum times negotiated too - not very Spurs like!

Next games are played 4th and 11th of april.
If we draw Chelsea, since we meet them in the league as well at the time, 3 out of 4 games will be against them

Not necessarily. If Chelsea progresses to the FA Cup semifinal our league game at Stamford bridge will be rescheduled.

dont care, want to avoid Rubin and Chelsea

I predict we will progress to the finals, beating team xx in last 8, Rubin Kazan in last 4 and then lose to Chelsea in the finals

Ideally I would like Basel - Not far to travel at all against a side that will test us but we can beat. Failing that then Saudi Sportswashing Machine would be my choice. Would prefer to avoid meeting Chelsea, Fenerbahce or Benfica until the semis/final if we get there. Want to avoid Rubin Kazan completely and the same applies to Lazio who will hopefully draw Chelsea, thats a nice headline in the making in relation to their fans.

My preferences are;

- Benfica
- Basel
- Fenerbache

Only because I wouldnt mind going to them games at their place.

What channel for europa draw? SSN are talking to some idiot about the champs league

What channel for europa draw? SSN are talking to some idiot about the champs league

UEFA.com

Edit: A lot of bullcrap there as well, but I guess at some point they'll get the bloody draw going.

Back