• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - QF Draw Friday 11.40 am

Could have done with a home second leg but oh well.

Toon have got the trickiest game and would have wanted to avoid them.

I'd love Lazio in the semis.

We deserved to beat them in both games in the groups and i want our payback for what they did to our fans out there. I want to fudging annihilate them, although I wouldn't mind so in a final!!

So how are Basel doing this year? Have they beaten anyone of interest to get to this stage?

Pretty happy about that draw - lets hope Rubin comes out on top in the Russian battle, so we avoid Chelski if we go through. They are the only team I'm proper worried about. The others we can manage, although they will obviously be tough to beat as well.

Are the semis set already, or do they get drawn at a later stage?

Both us and Chelsea will play away on 11th April and possibly face each other in the league on the 14th.

That is about as good as we could've hoped for

So how are Basel doing this year? Have they beaten anyone of interest to get to this stage?

2nd in the Swiss League.

Knocked out by Cluj in the Champions League qualifiers.

Finished 2nd in there Europa League group, drew with Sporting Lisbon, and Genk twice. Lost to Videoton but beat Videoton and Sporting Lisbon.

Beat Dnipro 2-0 at home, drew 1-1 away in the last 32.

Beat Zenit 2-0 at home, lost 1-0 away in the last 16.

What I gather is that they aren't good away from home. Haven't won once away in Europe all season.

2 - 3 - 1 in the group stages. Finished second.
Beat Videoton and Sporting CP at home.

Took out Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk and then Zenit yesterdag, which I'd say was the biggest win for them.

Both us and Chelsea will play away on 11th April and possibly face each other in the league on the 14th.

big difference though between trips to Rubin and Basel ;)

FC Basel play their home games at the 37,500 capacity St. Jakob-Park (which translates into English as St. Jacob's Park).[16]

UEFA have awarded the stadium a 4-star rating, the highest rating that could be given to a stadium of that capacity. St. Jakob-Park was opened in 2001, originally holding a maximum attendance of 33,433. The stadium was expanded with a new stand (sector G) and upgraded to 42,500 due to Switzerland being co-hosts of UEFA Euro 2008. After the Euro 2008 a number of seats were removed, thus giving more space between them, and the capacity was reduced 37,500 seats.[17] The stadium is nicknamed "Joggeli" by the fans and has 2 restaurants called "Restaurant UNO" and "Hattrick's Sports Bar" and a shopping centre which opened on 1 November 2001. It also has parking space for 680 cars and has its own train station. St. Jakob-Park hosted 6 games during EURO 2008, including the opening game between Switzerland and Czech Republic and a semi-final between Germany and Turkey. The most interesting feature of the stadium is the translucent outer layer, which can be illuminated in different colours for impressive effects, this effect was copied three years later for the new Bayern Munich stadium, the Allianz Arena.

Before the St. Jakob-Park stadium was built FC Basel played home games in the Landhof (in the Quarter Kleinbasel) and, following the 1954 World Cup, in the newly built St. Jakob Stadium which was on the same site as the current stadium. During the construction period of the St. Jacob-Park the FC Basel home games were played in Stadion Schützenmatte.

obviously no mugs (other than our defence) at this stage of the tournament, beating Zenit is not to be sniffed at either

Rubin have played both knockout games in Moscow, but for the group stage they were at home in Kazan.

Back