• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Do we KNOW this? Is it a fact, some statement I missed where we said "EUROPA League, taking that seriously..."?

IMO Harry completely disregarded the competition, didnt value it at all. I dont imagine that was a "Harry" decision in isolation.

I imagine we we take it seriously, all the time it doesnt interfere with the league. which means in reality we will drop it like a hot coal as soon as it presents an issue.

We were dreadful in the FA Cup last season. Very lucky to get as far as we did, despite benefitting from a very favourable draw.

Cheltenham: 3-0 win - nothing less than expected.

Watford: incredibly fortuitous and undeserved win. Totally dominated by a poor Championship team. One of the worst performances of Harry's time at the club.
Stevenage: needed two bites at the cherry against a League One team. Poor in both games.
Bolton: decent performance but in especially difficult circumstances for the opposition.
Chelsea: shambolic second half, even if we were shafted by the ref.

OT, but Im really surprised Watford have given Dyche the sack in favour of Zola. He was doing a quality job there and I will watch with interest to see how he does in his next appointment.

I appreciate they got new owners, but why kick out an existing and quality manager? Especially when its Zola you have an eye on replacing him!?!

Do we KNOW this? Is it a fact, some statement I missed where we said "EUROPA League, taking that seriously..."?

IMO Harry completely disregarded the competition, didnt value it at all. I dont imagine that was a "Harry" decision in isolation.

I imagine we we take it seriously, all the time it doesnt interfere with the league. which means in reality we will drop it like a hot coal as soon as it presents an issue.

Well i guess we will soon find out, but i do not doubt he will treat it with more respect then Redknapp did.

Thats kind of my point. People talking about what WILL happen - we just dont know.

I agree, I think he will take it more seriously, but how much more? No idea...

Thats kind of my point. People talking about what WILL happen - we just dont know.

I agree, I think he will take it more seriously, but how much more? No idea...

I honestly believe that Levy will want us to win a trophy this year. He has taken a massive gamble ( which i agree with) on appointing AVB and with the long term plans for our footballing future, it is going to be hard to bring new players in, play with a new system and try and win the Prem ( which we will not do).

However if we achieve a trophy it will give the new manager and the system a bit more breathing space ( from disgruntled fans, redknapps mates in the press etc) and allow AVB the time he is going to need to turn us ( hopefully) into a team that CAN challenge for the title.

OT, but Im really surprised Watford have given Dyche the sack in favour of Zola. He was doing a quality job there and I will watch with interest to see how he does in his next appointment.

I appreciate they got new owners, but why kick out an existing and quality manager? Especially when its Zola you have an eye on replacing him!?!

dunno if you read much on the new owners at Watford but they own several clubs - with Udinese being kind of like the parent club and Granada as an almost un official feeder club - i expect Watford will be used in the same manor - much like Granada taking several loanee's from Udinese and being used to blood them in so at a further date Udinese can sell them on for huge profits. they have made something like 300 mil in player sales the past 5 years (or something ridiculous like that)
i imagine they would want a manager in place who will do what they ask of him ie make sure the loan signings get more than their fair share of action to help them develop - not sure how id be feeling about all this if i was a Watford fan tbh

Because we now have a manager who will not take the cups as a inconvenience, he is a winner who wants to win more trophys.

AVB might have taken trophies seriously at Porto but I would imagine he follows what Levy asks of him. If Levy tells him that he has to go all out for CL places, then the cups would take a back seat. I think its a case of waiting and seeing, just don't presume that his previous cup success means that it will continue with us.

I think we should atleast go for one cup, together with the CL spot.

The FA-cup would be awesome to win again!

AVB might have taken trophies seriously at Porto but I would imagine he follows what Levy asks of him. If Levy tells him that he has to go all out for CL places, then the cups would take a back seat. I think its a case of waiting and seeing, just don't presume that his previous cup success means that it will continue with us.

We will see, but i exspect this manager to actually try and win a trophy.

True but Redknapp would just send a random team out in the EL or the CC and just see what happens. If we made it through then great, if not then we've not picked up any injuries.

AVB may well want to rest players for important league games (sensible in my view) but he'll probably still take a considered tactical approach and do what he can to win each game.

The exclusion of Bursaspor from the 2012/12 Europa League has been lifted by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). Their exclusion has been suspended for a probationary period of 3 years. Besiktas’ case at CAS is still pending.

Besiktas lost their appeal to CAS. St. Johnstone's Turkish opponents in the EL 2nd Qualifying Round are therefore confirmed as Eskisehirspor.

Four teams have progressed to the 2nd qualifying round, all scores are over two legs:

Floriana 0 - 12 Elfsborg
Grevenmacher 0 - 2 KF Tirana
Kalju Nõmme 2 - 4 Khazar Lankaran
Portadown 2 - 1 Shkendija 79

Back