• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

He does -so much so that he probably wont be appreciated properly by many on here until he leaves...

Depends. We appreciated Carrick after because we didn't replace him so we had no one who could do what he did. If we got Schneiderlin or even played Stambouli ahead of Capoue, we'd just play the same way or even upgrade etc.

weakness - slow, not very mobile. ...........still, having a good season so far

Depends. We appreciated Carrick after because we didn't replace him so we had no one who could do what he did. If we got Schneiderlin or even played Stambouli ahead of Capoue, we'd just play the same way or even upgrade etc.

Yup, very true. If we did get Schneiderlin I think he would play with Capoue...

I'm not sure about this immobile thing, if he is then his positioning must be ridiculously good as he always scores well on tackles and interceptions...

I'm not sure about this immobile thing, if he is then his positioning must be ridiculously good as he always scores well on tackles and interceptions...

He isn't immobile. Particular incidents stick in people's heads. Capoue has been dispossed a couple of times and it's stuck in people's heads. He's no more immobile than anyone else of his size. Yaya Toure got caught in possession loads last night because he was up against quicker opponents that were willing to press high up the pitch. He just had an off-day against a very fit, mobile and pacey team in Roma and there will be some guy that watched that game that will have it burnt into their head that Toure struggles against that sort of opposition, when in reality it was just a bad day at the office from him.

For his size, Capoue is perfectly acceptable in terms of pace/mobility.

He's played very well this season, i don't see what people's problems are. We've become so negative these days. Every single mistake is proof that a player can't cut it in this situation or that situation or isn't good enough.

Whereas I can see people qualifying his beast of a performance in the derby by "well if we weren't sitting so deep he'd have been rubbish"......well we were sitting deep and he was excellent, as he has been for the majority of this season to be fair???????

The best one is "he finds himself with the centre halves when recieving a pass" - errm. He's the defensive midfielder. He comes short to recieve the ball, drawing opposition towards him, opening space for others. Why congest things by just standing there in midfield waiting to recieve the ball? Capoue wants the ball, he gets the ball and very rarely loses it.

This is what Poch wants in his sides. Schneiderlin does this and he'd be the one doing it if we had purchased him in the summer. And I have no doubt he'd not have been ridiculed as much as Capoue has done this year.

He isn't immobile. Particular incidents stick in people's heads. Capoue has been dispossed a couple of times and it's stuck in people's heads. He's no more immobile than anyone else of his size. Yaya Toure got caught in possession loads last night because he was up against quicker opponents that were willing to press high up the pitch. He just had an off-day against a very fit, mobile and pacey team in Roma and there will be some guy that watched that game that will have it burnt into their head that Toure struggles against that sort of opposition, when in reality it was just a bad day at the office from him.

He's played very well this season, i don't see what people's problems are. We've become so negative these days. Every single mistake is proof that a player can't cut it in this situation or that situation or isn't good enough.

Whereas I can see people qualifying his beast of a performance in the derby by "well if we weren't sitting so deep he'd have been rubbish"......well we were sitting deep and he was excellent, as he has been for the majority of this season to be fair???????

Excellent post, agree with all of that...

The best one is "he finds himself with the centre halves when recieving a pass" - errm. He's the defensive midfielder. He comes short to recieve the ball, drawing opposition towards him, opening space for others. Why congest things by just standing there in midfield waiting to recieve the ball? Capoue wants the ball, he gets the ball and very rarely loses it.

This is what Poch wants in his sides. Schneiderlin does this and he'd be the one doing it if we had purchased him in the summer. And I have no doubt he'd not have been ridiculed as much as Capoue has done this year.

I agree with this. You frequently see Gerard adopt this position too and the CB's spread wide while the FB push up the pitch. Capoue has done well IMO.

Interesting from you Mumorn.

Didn't you once say something to the effect of "If Capoue gets picked ahead of Sandro i will give up on watching football?" :-k

Interesting from you Mumorn.

Didn't you once say something to the effect of "If Capoue gets picked ahead of Sandro i will give up on watching football?" :-k

Sandro is the better player when fit but he is no longer a Spurs player so I'm supporting Capoue because thats what Spurs fans should be doing.

Sandro is the better player when fit but he is no longer a Spurs player so I'm supporting Capoue because thats what Spurs fans should be doing.

Then perhaps you should go onto the adebayor thread and remind some of the posters over there.

The credibility of Capoue's "great stats" article is slightly damaged when the article claims he is second on interceptions and tackles only to....vlad chiriches :) who as we know is having a blinding season. Still as metal gear says we do not have many options so Capoue it will be for the time being.

yeah agree.. i think some people just prefer all action all direction players. we had parker, sandro who probably was at that extreme, seemingly able to put their bodies in the path of the ball in impossible ways. but people neglect that while those are exciting to watch - the pirouettes slow us down, the committed tackles can leave us exposed.

for now, in poch's system (and in many modern coaches') passing ability from deep is essential even if we do give up some mobility. you can't have it all. capoue more than makes up for it with his awareness and positioning, which is why he does so well with his interceptions (which is central to poch's approach).

if you're a player you'll understand this - looking up and having no options to play through the midfield. and having to do the hard (and risky) work of trying to get your colleagues' help to pick through that first line of defence. unfortunately on tV the off the ball runs and the passes that the opposition cannot make - those are things that you don't see (and will have to be imagined).

Back