• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

So say its

an average of 2 cup competitions for 7 years = 14
an average of 3 cup competitions for 6 years = 18

32 competitions.

And you give

9 Qtrs
3 Semi
2 Finalist
1 Winner

In my book.. that ain't no large number. Qtrs are the minimum we should be looking at, therefore I am pleased but underwhelmed by the 6 times we gained a semi or better.

Whats worse is nearly 50% of them are Carling Cup.. where other teams don't give a brick.

I don't disagree with you that we should have converted some of those quarters and semis into actual wins, never mind just reaching the final. I think a prime example is this year - Had we won a shootout, we would have been playing Chelsea where anything could have happened and gone on to reach a major european final. We also conceded 2 late goals in the last 5 mins against Norwich in the League Cup - If we win 0-1 as should have happened, it is more than likely we would have gone on to win the competition as Norwich got Villa at home and lost, they in turn lost to Bradford who in turn lost to Swansea in the final. It is incredibly frustrating that we haven't got it over the line a few more times.

But I can also say that we are battling against ever changing variables and just when we felt we were in a position to maybe look at being a top 6 club again in the early 2000s, Chelsea change the game with the influx of money they get. That makes Top 4 and winning things almost unobtainable at that time for us without a mass overhaul. So we go back to square one and take another 4-5seasons before looking like we are going to be a regular threat for the Top 4 and honours - Emirates Marketing Project get a massive influx of cash and again change the game.

I also have to say that the old line of "other clubs dont care about the League cup" as false. Apart from the last 3 finals which have been a little mismatched in differing aspects, the previous 10 before that were very good finals in terms of the teams that reached them, mainly comprising of Spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Once Chelsea got rich then most other clubs with the exception of Arsenal saw it as a realistic chance to win some silverware.

Of course, some decisions we as a club have taken, may have prevented us from crossing the line on those cup runs but generally speaking I think we have done well to have those runs when you consider what we are up against and trying to balance it with a need/desire to finish in the top 4. I also take the point that we should have posted some stronger results during those runs like the FA Cup Semi in 2010, like the finals against Blackburn and Man Utd in 2002 and 2009 plus the Semi against Arsenal in 2007.

If those results had gone in our favour then our trophy haul and finals appearances would look alot healthier but its fine margins and we have also been quite unlucky at times.

Poyet hitting the bar at 1-1 in Cardiff?

Dawson slipping in extra time to allow Piquionne a tap in and then Crouch having a goal disallowed in 2010?

Ghost goal from Mata in 2012? Losing on pens to Man U?

Kanoute's freak handball from nowhere in the last minute of extra time against Liverpool in 2005?

We just seem to never have that little slice of luck. I know every team can point to individual things but for the amount of times in big games we have been "unlucky", it is definitely more than other teams can point to and that was case even before ENIC - Dabizas, FA Cup Semi Final 1999 - Handball, blatant as you like not given at 0-0. Goes to extra time, Campbell does something equally as blatant, penalty given, 0-1 down and chasing the game. There are more and more the further I go back.

I think basically, we are inherently an unlucky team who also are liable to bottle things probably because of the soft mentality associated with Spurs over the years and it has seeped into the support and club. Even when we are 3-0 up we can't relax because a goal for the opponent leaves our entire support wondering if this is yet another bottlejob in the offing. I think we need to move away from that mentality as much as the players to get over the line more often but there is no easy answer as to how to change all these things.

Last edited:
Reviving the Levy thread rather than creating a new one

It's the 2nd of August and we have bought a Brazilian Midfielder, a wide Player and a Quality Striker and have broken our transfer record twice.

Is this due to AVB/Baldini or has Levy changed tactics?

And is everyone reasonably happy with the window?

Lewis' daughter said he was gonna pump a few extra quid in, didn't she? A calculated investment on ENIC's part I'd say, but how refreshing is it to get the players in early and good ones too.

I'm happy. If we keep Bale, I'll be delighted.
Would've been nice with an additional central defender, though.

Started very well, though we have poked holes in our team ourselves recently.

Squad would have been fine to enter the new season had we not sold Caulker. Though a bit too full, we could still do with selling one or two.

Just need to tie Bale to that new contract and get a CB in and we'll be good to go.

I think we've done very well, especially compared with those one place above and a couple of places below us last season.

In an ideal would, we'd get a replacement for Caulker, a LB, a young striker and I know most think we've got loads of midfielders, but I'd like proper backup for Sandro (assuming Paulinho is not that). We could then offload two of Parker, Huddlestone and Livermore.

Firstly, they're not perfect. I want to make this clear before people come in here and point out all the mistakes they've made.

They have made sometimes costly mistakes and will continue to make mistakes in the future.

However I first got into Spurs as a very young boy just at the beginning of the 90s.

I've witnessed some utter turd Spurs teams. At one point in the late 90s it looked like it would be impossible to reclaim our position as a top club again. The 'big 4' of Man U, ****nal, Chelsea and Liverpool looked miles ahead and the only clubs that looked capable of even trying to challenge them were Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leeds and Aston Villa, not us! We were more concerned with staving off relegation. West Ham regularly finished above us.

I read a book called What's the story boring glory? Which was a season diary of a Spurs fan in the late 90s. We got hammered 3-0 at home by Sheffield Wednesday on the opening day of the season.

I just want people to realise how far ENIC have taken us. There have been highs and lows and there will be highs and lows again.

But when ENIC took over our midfield was:

Leonhardsen Sherwood Freund Anderton

We could now be playing a season with a trio of Brazilians that may well go on to represent their country at the World Cup as favourites to win the trophy.

Thanks ENIC, not just for this amazing summer, but for saving the club I love and building it back up to its rightful place as one of the glamour clubs of England!

I said on here before Levy is one of if not the premier chairmen in world football.

Not because of this window but how he manages a club with limited income avenues and we still find the money to do big deals and compete at a high level.

Great post mate.

The first years between 2001 and 2004 were a disaster, ****nal were simply unstoppable whilst we struggled due to the back firing of Hoddle and Pleat's policy of buying experience to fix the short term before seeing young players implemented into the squad, although this mainly failed due to injuries. For me the final straw was seeing ****nal winning the league at our place, even now as I type my stomach churns whilst picturing them celebrating the title on our patch.

_41656650_arsenal_fan_crying203.jpg

Now, it really looks as if the tables are turning, with the way things have been going so far, and if we sign the targets that are being talked about, then I cannot see us finishing below them. Whilst I still rate Wenger as an impressive manager I don't think he's be able to fully turn the tide against what we're doing.

Ever since the day we signed Kranjcar I felt deep down, no not felt believed, that this club will one day win the league. This summer is making that a genuine possibility, either immediately or the long term. ENIC is now delivering in way not even I expected and I too thank them for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are on an upward curve, there is no doubt about that. Momentum is with us.

Most successful teams need stability regarding the manager. Hopefully AVB is this. He could do 5 years and still have only just turned 40.

ENIC and levy have learnt as they've gone along. How we manage to stay at the level we do with only 36000 capacity shows great off the field management and pretty impressive record in the transfer market. Levy's bargainning skills have earned us a few extra mill over the years. Nice to think that Baldini was brought in as Levy/Lewis knew this was going to be a big window and Levy was aware of his own shortcomings in the transfer market and knew that Baldini would be invaluable in getting multiple deals done.

The one thing i would love more than anything is to be the club that proves you can win trophies, be successful and go head to head with the sugar daddy clubs and still come out on top. In my eyes doing things the right way and winning things the right way will make me so proud and for our club, so deserving.

Great post mate.

The first years between 2001 and 2004 were a disaster, ****nal were simply unstoppable whilst we struggled due to the back firing of Hoddle and Pleat's policy of buying experience to fix the short term before seeing young players implemented into the squad, although this mainly failed due to injuries. For me the final straw was seeing ****nal winning the league at our place, even now as I type my stomach churns whilst picturing them celebrating the title on our patch.

Now, it really looks as if the tables are turning, with the way things have been going so far, and if we sign the targets that are being talked about, then I cannot see us finishing below them. Whilst I still rate Wenger as an impressive manager I don't think he's be able to fully turn the tide against what we're doing.

Ever since the day we signed Kranjcar I felt deep down, no not felt believed, that this club will one day win the league. This summer is making that a genuine possibility, either immediately or the long term. ENIC is now delivering in way not even I expected and I too thank them for it.

Why the F**k would you post that picture on here????

Haha yes I don't mind them in their current positions. It was a poor midfield although far from our worst. I remember some absolute monstrosities of teams featuring Fox, Calderwood, Sinton, Nielsen......oh my days just thinking about it makes me feel slightly ill!

I have been a big critic of Levy/ENIC in the past for not backing managers and for making costly mistakes. I have to say this summer they have been fantastic! They've given AVB a great chance to win tropheys this season and possibly attain a highest ever league position in the premier league era.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Came across this on The Fighting ****: http://www.thefighting****.co.uk/2014/02/the-crimes-and-delusion-of-enic-fc/

Have to say I am in complete agreement with the author.

Very depressing.

Edit: Won't paste. So here it is:

It’s a grand old investment company to play for...and it’s a grand old investment company to see...if you’ve seen our Sainsbury’s...it’s enough to make your heart go...whoa whoa whoa whoa.

It’s been an odd and harrowing season. When my Tottenham Turfie was so close to a white line it became addicted to coke, I knew we were in trouble.
Following Spurs has become a baffling and, at times, soul-destroying experience. Never have so many fans felt so alienated from ‘our’ club. Behind the disillusionment are the club’s owners and ENIC’s rap sheet continues to grow. The pitting of fan vs fan for profit courtesy of Stubhub; the invisible new stadium (as real as the infamous season ticket waiting list); the shirking of the ‘Y Word’ defence and sell out of the club’s hardcore supporters; the ******* style ‘partnership’ with Real Madrid that facilitated a major transfer to Arsenal; the seasonal sale of our world class players and trousering of profit; failing to back supporters over the FA Cup ticket allocation and prices at the Emirates and a telling contribution to the funereal atmosphere at White Hart Lane due to over-zealous stewards and a text facility to grass on your fellow fan.
The lack of coherent information or explanation as regards decision making within the club has created a culture of distrust. The delisting of the club from the Stock Exchange means nothing has to be explained. ‘Pay up or **** off’ appears to be the underlying message. Of course, if you are a member of the ‘Somalian Pirate Spurs Supporters Club’ chances are your concerns about the lack of branded bandanas will be addressed in the endless acknowledgement of overseas consumers via social media.
The experience of the fans who attend home matches is somewhat different. You feel like you are being rinsed the moment you enter the stadium. And it’s not just the ticket prices. White Hart Lane is the only ground where I have ever been overcharged for a programme. The toilet taps turn off a few minutes after full-time or shoot a trickle of molten hot water. Presumably run on a meter system. The broken toilet seat in the Paxton End toilets shows greater movement than Stuart Nethercott in his carrot-topped pomp. You can’t bring in a 50p mineral water from our shiny new Sainsbury’s, but one is available in the stadium for £2.20. Touch.

Daniel Levy has become a bizarre Napoleon character and completely unaccountable since ENIC delisted the club from the stock market. A rumoured £750,000 pay rise soon followed. His annual appearance is in the programme notes at the end of the season when dear Danny promises the best players won’t be sold. Several weeks into the new season, the player of the moment is generally sold for a nose-bleeding profit.

Sixth is par for Tottenham. That Tim Sherwood suggests his job is under threat should Spurs not make top four suggests Levy and ENIC live in a fantasy land of Care Bears and unicorns. Tottenham should not realistically compete with Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea’s artificial resources or Manchester United and Arsenal’s wage bill, resources, stature and Champions League pedigree. Liverpool are also a bigger club in every respect. Unlike Spurs, the Reds managed to retain a world class player with itchy feet for another, potentially crucial season. The comparative revenue of these six clubs in 2012/13 illustrates the chasm in finances between Spurs and their immediate rivals (1. Man Utd, 423.8 million; 2. Emirates Marketing Project 316.2 million; 3. Chelsea 303.4 million; 4. Arsenal 284.3 million; 5. Liverpool 240.6 million; 6. Tottenham 172 million. Total revenue in Euros. Source: Deloitte).

The 2013/14 season transfer spend also shows that Spurs, hemorrhaged of their best player Gareth Bale, should not be realistically expected to compete at the top table. (2013/14 transfer spend: 1) Emirates Marketing Project -£92m; 2) Man Utd -£69m; 3) Chelsea -£37.5m; 4) Arsenal -£34m; 5) Liverpool -£21m; 6) Tottenham +£12.5m profit. Source: Daily Telegraph). But some of the Spurs Board bizarrely believed Tottenham might even contend for the title on a shoestring of investment. The club has a net spend of £770,000 over the last five seasons. Reach for the stars, Daniel!
ENIC’s hatchet approach to managers – nine in thirteen years – suggests the buck never stops with them. But they are always happy to bend their own rules if there is a fast buck to be made. ‘Out the tout’ – unless he pays ENIC twice. Perhaps we should be grateful. Stubhub’s parent company eBay actually has the gall to charge sellers three times for the same transaction (listing, transaction fee and a monthly billing). Opposition fans are now clearly seated and clenching fists in the home stands courtesy of the Stubhub agreement, but there is never a safety issue when there is more money to be made. There were even claims this week that the club are blocking fans’ stadium access cards if they don’t sell via the legalized tout Stubhub. Arsenal sources also suggest, perhaps mischievously, that the Spurs Board were happy to have Tottenham fans charged £62 at the Emirates to gain a larger cut of the FA Cup ticket money.
The frustration of many fans is that Spurs were so close to breaking into the cartel on limited resources. But when the chance came to gamble in the January 2011 transfer window, with Spurs’ stock and visibility high due to a scintillating Champions League run, Levy looked the other way and sanctioned the transfers of Steven Pienaar and Bongani Khumalo – clearly with commercial opportunities in South Africa in mind. Prada dreams on a Primark budget. Always hiding behind the tiresome transfer brinkmanship of ‘almost deals’ and a malfunctioning fax machine. Greater transparency from the club could heal a few wounds, but that is unlikely to happen. We are disposable consumers.

The game isn’t about glory any more. Bill Nicholson would probably have lasted a few seasons under Levy and co (‘should have won the title in 1962’or ‘non-communicative with the board’). I look forward to the day where ENIC finally face up to their responsibilities or ride their unicorns off into the sunset.

This is no longer a football club, it’s an investment company. And a grand old one at that.

Last edited:
Back