• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Good point, fans of all clubs usually go on about needing one or two top players ( its what they do especially when its not their money they are spending), considering that we can not compete for players that the financially doped clubs can Levy over the years has done a great job. Once we get into the new stadium things will change but until then we have/should continue the way we are.

Scary thing is its always two or three players even after we have signed 5... its the constant need for a quick fix otherwise we will fail, without understanding really what are the goals and
ambitions at that point in time

Surely we as fans just have to accept that their is a point where consolidation and minor changes are requited and accept that those in charge are using their best efforts to achieve whatever can be done.

I actually don't want is to change much when we get into eh new stadium. I like the youth policy and the development of our own players. Its unique to us at the moment (feels like it) and it helps me feel attached to the players that I pay my money to see. I want a competitive team that actually seems to give a sh1t on the pitch and recognizes the fans. trophies are great and are the ultimate measure but give me some highs along the way and ill accept that we wont win everything

Good point, fans of all clubs usually go on about needing one or two top players ( its what they do especially when its not their money they are spending), considering that we can not compete for players that the financially doped clubs can Levy over the years has done a great job. Once we get into the new stadium things will change but until then we have/should continue the way we are.
I'd venture to say we should continue the way we are even after we get into the new stadium. There is no reason to change this model and the team will be so much more endeared by the fans when it features players that have come through the academy or brought in young and become men in this team. What the new stadium should allow us to do is offer higher wages to keep those players, as well as potentially getting first dibs at promising youngsters. And maybe once in a while bring in an established player, but that should be the exception rather than the norm. But I wouldn't want to see us splashing the cash like Yanited, Emirates Marketing Project, or Chelski. I really like this model and hope it continues long into the future, because with it and more financial clout from the new stadium, I can also see us retaining Poch for a long long time.

Scary thing is its always two or three players even after we have signed 5... its the constant need for a quick fix otherwise we will fail, without understanding really what are the goals and
ambitions at that point in time

Surely we as fans just have to accept that their is a point where consolidation and minor changes are requited and accept that those in charge are using their best efforts to achieve whatever can be done.

I actually don't want is to change much when we get into eh new stadium. I like the youth policy and the development of our own players. Its unique to us at the moment (feels like it) and it helps me feel attached to the players that I pay my money to see. I want a competitive team that actually seems to give a sh1t on the pitch and recognizes the fans. trophies are great and are the ultimate measure but give me some highs along the way and ill accept that we wont win everything
Just read your post after I posted mine and I agree 100%. There is no reason to change a thing, exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

We'll still be at a financial disadvantage after moving to the new stadium so I don't think abandoning our approach is very likely - no need to worry about that guys.

Hopefully though the extra money we will have then will allow us to supplement our academy grads with a higher calibre of player than we are capable of attracting now, which in turn should allow us to build a better team

I'd venture to say we should continue the way we are even after we get into the new stadium. There is no reason to change this model and the team will be so much more endeared by the fans when it features players that have come through the academy or brought in young and become men in this team. What the new stadium should allow us to do is offer higher wages to keep those players, as well as potentially getting first dibs at promising youngsters. And maybe once in a while bring in an established player, but that should be the exception rather than the norm. But I wouldn't want to see us splashing the cash like Yanited, Emirates Marketing Project, or Chelski. I really like this model and hope it continues long into the future, because with it and more financial clout from the new stadium, I can also see us retaining Poch for a long long time.

I do agree, what I should have said was it can not change until we get the new stadium. I do not want us to turn into another financially dopes team either and why I have always been against being taken over by a bored billionaire who would throw money at us like they have at Chelski and City. What the new stadium will do is enable us to compete on the wages front better.

I actually think the value of the new stadium will be our ability to adjust our wages to keep quality players vs. changing our acquisition policy greatly.

Wages might get us to keep players that extra season that gets us/keeps us in CL, then CL spot +better wages mean we could compete more for keeping players. Think about it, if we had been able to keep just half of our better player over last 8 years, e.g. Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, Keane, Bale (2 or 3 of those for even one more year)

I actually think the value of the new stadium will be our ability to adjust our wages to keep quality players vs. changing our acquisition policy greatly.

Wages might get us to keep players that extra season that gets us/keeps us in CL, then CL spot +better wages mean we could compete more for keeping players. Think about it, if we had been able to keep just half of our better player over last 8 years, e.g. Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, Keane, Bale (2 or 3 of those for even one more year)

Agreed.

That also increases the chance of actually staying in the top 4 if/when we do break into it. I feel that too many people have seen us breaking into the top 4 in the past as something that would automatically make us favourites to keep doing that and move permanently ahead of whoever we got ahead of to get there. Evidence seems to rather indicate that repeating something like that, much like repeating a title win, is a bit harder. The extra games in the CL, other teams determined and spending money to bounce back. IIRC only Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea with their money have been able to break into and establish themselves as top 4 clubs in the last 10-15 years.

I look forward to seeing the mood in this thread on 1st Feb 2016 :D

Jan 15
Deli Alli £5m

Jan 14
None

Jan 13
Holtby £1.5m
Fryers £3m

Jan 12
Nelsen £0
Saha £0

Jan 11
Pienaar £3m
Khumalo £1.5m

An average spend of £2m (and that's not even net spend either)

Is anyone really expecting us to do any serious business in January?

We do not need to really, and I would rather we did not as there are not many top players sold/bought in Jan.

agreed, if we can get a good deal on some cover for Kane, maybe even a loanee, then great, its not time to be panicking though

I think we might have another go at Berahino

We do not need to really, and I would rather we did not as there are not many top players sold/bought in Jan.

Agreed. Definitely the time for patience, of course if the right player becomes available for the right price...

Yet people will still panic and complain that we don't have a shiny new toy to ruin.

If we keep on our undefeated run and overall good performances perhaps some of the more moany posters will continue to stay away even in January ;)

Your faith in people is clearly greater than mine.

I prefer "naively optimistic" to "faith", but sure :)

Its February the 1st i worry about, oh and when ever we lose will be because we did not spunk loads of cash in January.

True.

Luckily Pochettino is earning a lot of trust and patience these days, and it seems all, but a small minority of fans are willing to give him that.

Only those with contract situations to exploit (like we did with Holtby and Pienaar).

I guess Dembele is the obvious one, as he will become a tribunal/compensation-only case in June.

Perhaps Dembele-Carroll (also in his last 6 months), will be this year's Alli-Naughton?

Back