• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Im starting to think it is to do with the class system we have in this country. It is like we are middle class and we are scared to make the jump up to upper class, getting a striker in would make us upper class but we are scared to try it, its like we do not believe in ourselves to be upper class.

We need elocution lessons i think.

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.*

* Disclaimer - this is not cryptic itk.

We've got a world class striker in and for peanuts in transfer fees, it's just he's played like a **** this year, if we had the ade of last year this point wouldn't be raised.

The word "world class" gets thrown about far too often. Adebayor is not world class. The only player we have who is even close is Bale.

The word "world class" gets thrown about far too often. Adebayor is not world class. The only player we have who is even close is Bale.

"World class" isn't a technical term which can easily be measured!

It will mean different things to different people.

For me, Bale isn't "close" to being world class. He already is world class.

Probably Lloris and Sandro too.

"World class" isn't a technical term which can easily be measured!

It will mean different things to different people.

For me, Bale isn't "close" to being world class. He already is world class.

Probably Lloris and Sandro too.

How could I forget Lloris? I agree he is world class, wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in the league.

I don't really care whether a player is or is not "world-class" even though I think every top team needs a few of those "crack" players who can do something solitary and magical when it's just not working. A well-balanced, well-coached team of players who are strong in the fundamentals will match up very well against a team of "world-class" players over a season imo - just look at where Everton are right now, not far off Chelsea. Or look at United - they're not exactly filled to the brim with flashy matchwinners outside RvP and Rooney, yet for all the media hype about their reliance on RvP and a winning mentality I still think they are where they are - streets ahead of City - because each and every one of their players, glamorous or not, is so strong in the fundamentals of off-the-ball movement and one-touch passing under pressure. They create good chances consistently because they are able to see opportunities and execute them quickly and cleanly. You don't need to be a Messi or a Ronaldo to do that, though touch and intelligence are critical.

For me, I think scouting should focus on the precise qualities you are looking for in that position (within financial reason of course) and less on media reputation and MotM awards - the vague "goodness" of a player, how world-class he looks in his current team, his stats alone, etc. A perfect first touch never wavers but "world-classness" will flicker from game to game - and club to club - for most players. That is why Swansea have done so well under Martinez and Rodgers and now Laudrup: they have a philosophy, and they stick to it, and they acquire the players and managers that match the sought-after qualities regardless of how "risky" they are deemed to be. I'm really not sure if we have such a consistent vision right now with our scouting, aside from appointing AVB.

That's why I'm more interested in the "behind the scenes" investment right now - how are we doing with our scouting team? Our youth acquisition and development, now that Inglethorpe's left? What about our fitness and medical staff? How is our stadium coming along? If we are spending less on our first team because we need that money to invest here then that is fine for me, because I regard getting in the best scouts and coaches as more important for our long-term prospects. (In fact, I'd quite like a DOF on our transfer committee.) Yes, getting fourth this year is a big deal, but it's much more important to make fourth *consistently* and become a "top four" team and we're not going to do that if we are relying on spending power, not when the likes of Chelsea, Arse, and Liverpool can so easily outspend us.

We need a strong set-up, we need talent off the pitch as much as on it. Levy can be frustrating with his methods and I am worried about the stadium and scouting issues, but I trust him to safeguard, invest in, and develop the long-term potential of this club and that is more important to me than a striker this January. Anyways I will support whoever is out on the pitch, Adebayor or Leandro or Kane or the tealady! They may not be "good enough" but they are still a Spurs player. As a fan, that's really the most I can do :p

Lloris is world class.
Bale and Sandro have potential to be world class.

No one else comes close.

I don't really care whether a player is or is not "world-class" even though I think every top team needs a few of those "crack" players who can do something solitary and magical when it's just not working. A well-balanced, well-coached team of players who are strong in the fundamentals will match up very well against a team of "world-class" players over a season imo - just look at where Everton are right now, not far off Chelsea. Or look at United - they're not exactly filled to the brim with flashy matchwinners outside RvP and Rooney, yet for all the media hype about their reliance on RvP and a winning mentality I still think they are where they are - streets ahead of City - because each and every one of their players, glamorous or not, is so strong in the fundamentals of off-the-ball movement and one-touch passing under pressure. They create good chances consistently because they are able to see opportunities and execute them quickly and cleanly. You don't need to be a Messi or a Ronaldo to do that, though touch and intelligence are critical.

For me, I think scouting should focus on the precise qualities you are looking for in that position (within financial reason of course) and less on media reputation and MotM awards - the vague "goodness" of a player, how world-class he looks in his current team, his stats alone, etc. A perfect first touch never wavers but "world-classness" will flicker from game to game - and club to club - for most players. That is why Swansea have done so well under Martinez and Rodgers and now Laudrup: they have a philosophy, and they stick to it, and they acquire the players and managers that match the sought-after qualities regardless of how "risky" they are deemed to be. I'm really not sure if we have such a consistent vision right now with our scouting, aside from appointing AVB.

That's why I'm more interested in the "behind the scenes" investment right now - how are we doing with our scouting team? Our youth acquisition and development, now that Inglethorpe's left? What about our fitness and medical staff? How is our stadium coming along? If we are spending less on our first team because we need that money to invest here then that is fine for me, because I regard getting in the best scouts and coaches as more important for our long-term prospects. (In fact, I'd quite like a DOF on our transfer committee.) Yes, getting fourth this year is a big deal, but it's much more important to make fourth *consistently* and become a "top four" team and we're not going to do that if we are relying on spending power, not when the likes of Chelsea, Arse, and Liverpool can so easily outspend us.

We need a strong set-up, we need talent off the pitch as much as on it. Levy can be frustrating with his methods and I am worried about the stadium and scouting issues, but I trust him to safeguard, invest in, and develop the long-term potential of this club and that is more important to me than a striker this January. Anyways I will support whoever is out on the pitch, Adebayor or Leandro or Kane or the tealady! They may not be "good enough" but they are still a Spurs player. As a fan, that's really the most I can do :p

A mature and measured response. Something this topic needs a little more of.

I look at what Levy is coping with this season and liken it to juggling pianos. As long as they remain aloft, music and magic fill the air. Lose control and you've got a noisy mess on your hands.

This is a season of transition under a new manager. The fact that we still sit fourth and in close contention for higher placings despite the turmoil that plagued the beginning of the season should earn Levy high praise. The fact that we have remained this competitive whilst having opened a spectacular new training facility and continuing to advance toward a marvellous new stadium is all the more remarkable.

Given the intense media heat that AVB's arrival was subjected to, it's a wonder we didn't lose more players. Clearly, Levy has chosen well and evidence of that comes when talented youngsters like Holtby want to come and play for AVB. We're well managed and well led.

I agree with all of that, but I still think "world class" players are needed to really push on if a team wants to establish themselves as a regular in the CL spots, even more so to push on towards a title challenge.

Have mentioned it in other threads, but one of the most encouraging signs under AVB is that our signings seem to fit a strategy and overall philosophy that will hopefully allow us to build a team that's better than the sum of it's parts.

I don't disagree with that - I think we need two or three "crack" players as Mourinho would say to establish ourselves above the Everton level. What I mean is, I don't think "world-class" by itself means much without placing it in context, ie. the particular aspects you are world-class in (as opposed to others), the role you play and your chemistry with the rest of the team, how world-class you are in certain styles of play more than others. So my question with "world-class" is: world-class in what? And is that what best for our team?

With Spurs, I think we actually have quite a few players who are superlative in dribbling and to some extent in making individual plays; hell, even Walker manages to pull off one big play, defensive or offensive, every other game (amidst a dozen defensive errors :lol:). Our weakness is that we are lacking "world-classness" in intelligence and in passing. Players who are geniuses at reading the game and orchestrating those opportunities through passing and movement will take us to the much-vaunted "next level" more than, say, replacing Bale with Ronaldo, even though I don't doubt that Ronaldo is a step above.

In the end, we can't exactly afford to buy world-class anyways, so it's a bit of a moot point. I do want us to buy that potential, those youngsters with high ceilings, but I want us to buy that potential inside the framework of what the team needs. For me, that means passers and an intelligent CF above all else atm.

I presume most of you have seen this? Clearly we did have the money to buy a striker in the window but doesnt look like there was a back up plan to buy anyone else if the Damiao deal fell through.. Sounds like deja vu from the window before with another quality player by leaving things late..

From the BBC...

Tottenham did agree a deal to sign Leandro Damiao on transfer deadline day, but it collapsed when Internacional changed the terms of his move at the last minute.
The deal ran into difficulties on the afternoon of 31 January when Internacional included a fresh demand for Damiao to remain with them for a further 6 months.
Tottenham are unlikely to resurrect the move in the summer.

I presume most of you have seen this? Clearly we did have the money to buy a striker in the window but doesnt look like there was a back up plan to buy anyone else if the Damiao deal fell through.. Sounds like deja vu from the window before with another quality player by leaving things late..

From the BBC...

Tottenham did agree a deal to sign Leandro Damiao on transfer deadline day, but it collapsed when Internacional changed the terms of his move at the last minute.
The deal ran into difficulties on the afternoon of 31 January when Internacional included a fresh demand for Damiao to remain with them for a further 6 months.

Whilst I don't know, my instinct tells me this is rubbish from the Beeb mate. Why would they want Damiao 'an extra 6 months'? It's the Brazilian close season. I suspect they came to us, they did the running, we put forth a price, they said 'fudge you' and that was that...

Holtby will be world class one day.. Dembele is getting there and I'd say Verts comes under the category of world class also.. Why not throw in Azzz while were at it.. I am a little bit biased, but not totally unreasonable.

Holtby will be world class one day.. Dembele is getting there and I'd say Verts comes under the category of world class also.. Why not throw in Azzz while were at it.. I am a little bit biased, but not totally unreasonable.

Holtby I'd go with. The others I think are a way off.

From the BBC...

This makes little sense - their season just finished so why keep him for further 6 months only to lose him 2-3 months into the news season, causing unnecessary distractions in the dressing room and team balance. They didn't qualify for Copa Libertadores either. Furthermore, I believe him, Neymar, Ganso, etc. will only make their 'inevitable' European moves only after the WC next summer.

We obviousy offered them considerably less than his valuation - and that is even if we went beyond an 'enquiry' as opposed to a formal bid

We obviousy offered them considerably less than his valuation - and that is even if we went beyond an 'enquiry' as opposed to a formal bid

By all accounts, the first move / enquiry was made by Internacional - hoping that we would meet their valuation.

Which pours even more water on the BBC story.

Back