• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Tevez yes, but he wasn't the only top class striker we were linked with that year

The only 'marquee' signing though and the one Dubai is hanging his hate on ( ;) )

Remy is the only other striker i can recall being linked to that window - which brings me back to my original point - you shouldnt need first XI improvments in January if you are sitting well out in front in 3rd - i can see the why you'd want to bolster the squad options but we had those already there sitting unused on the bench each week, players the manager had signed himself in previous windows earning high wages in the process.

This is not a dig at you, but this question is asked frequently on this board i.e. "who could we have signed?". Not just in regard to Redknapp. It's not our job to say who we would sign (most of the names would just be poo pooed anyway), it's the scouts job or the manager's job to identify players, and we at least attempt to sign x player.

Well by that logic you should accept the players that were signed then, no?

were we not linked to Rossi and Llorente (amongst the others mentioned above)

all i'm saying is "99.9% guaranteed to be in the CL next year" is a tick in the plus column

Then why do Arsenal always leave their business in the market until they get past the CL qualifiers? You don't gamble on things like that unless you have a benefactor who can pick up the tab if it goes wrong.

The only 'marquee' signing though and the one Dubai is hanging his hate on ( ;) )

Remy is the only other striker i can recall being linked to that window - which brings me back to my original point - you shouldnt need first XI improvments in January if you are sitting well out in front in 3rd - i can see the why you'd want to bolster the squad options but we had those already there sitting unused on the bench each week, players the manager had signed himself in previous windows rarning high wages in the process.

most clubs don't, but when it comes to us you know we are gonna push the self destruct button at some point, insurance is always good

No I really don't. Everyone knows Arry loves spending money, so why would he settle on Nelsen and Saha? Especially when he admitted who he wanted to sign.

He also loves a freebie and/or expreienced pro. (See every club he has ever been at) has he said he didn't put forward Nelsen and Saha?

Then why do Arsenal always leave their business in the market until they get past the CL qualifiers? You don't gamble on things like that unless you have a benefactor who can pick up the tab if it goes wrong.

they don't have to, they are "100% guaranteed to be in the CL next season"

No I really don't. Everyone knows Arry loves spending money, so why would he settle on Nelsen and Saha? Especially when he admitted who he wanted to sign.

Given a choice between somebody and nobody (as in: These are the best we can get right now), when has Redknapp ever opted for nobody?

they don't have to gamble, i don't know why they do

i think wenger just doesn't like buying players

It's because the players want assurances

If two clubs are in for you, all other things being equal except one is in the group stages and one is the playoffs - who are you likely to choose? Most likely scenario is you'll wait until after the playoffs

He also loves a freebie and/or expreienced pro. (See every club he has ever been at) has he said he didn't put forward Nelsen and Saha?

Well that's a different debate. Its equally plausible that Redknapp could have suggested those names as Levy could have. But if you're asking me if they were his first choices? No, I don't buy it. We all know he wanted Cahill.

Well that's a different debate. Its equally plausible that Redknapp could have suggested those names as Levy could have. But if you're asking me if they were his first choices? No, I don't buy it. We all know he wanted Cahill.

I didn't say they were his first choice targets...

You said (paraphrasing) it's the managers job to identify players - i said 'then you have to accept that Saha and Nelsen were his targets' - which you then said you didn't agree.

cool, that was my point

Well no, it was my point, you were saying it didn't matter if CL qualification was a certainty and that players will sign if qualification was up in the air :lol:

(When i say nailed on i mean guarenteed)

I didn't say they were his first choice targets...

You said (paraphrasing) it's the managers job to identify players - i said 'then you have to accept that Saha and Nelsen were his targets' - which you then said you didn't agree.

Well I said managers and scouts but I'll let you off for glossing over that ;) I didn't say they weren't HIS targets, but they weren't his first choice. We'll never know how many options were bandied about, but I just can't believe it was a case of "Levy can you get me Cahill?" "No" " ok then get me Nelsen."

Well no, it was my point, you were saying it didn't matter if CL qualification was a certainty and that players will sign if qualification was up in the air :lol:

(When i say nailed on i mean guarenteed)

11 points clear at that stage of the season, it was signed, sealed and delivered, only 1 organisation in the history of sport could have ****ed it up

guaranteed ;)

Well I said managers and scouts but I'll let you off for glossing over that ;) I didn't say they weren't HIS targets, but they weren't his first choice. We'll never know how many options were bandied about, but I just can't believe it was a case of "Levy can you get me Cahill?" "No" " ok then get me Nelsen."

Vertonghen was lined up for the summer lets not forget- i don't think it's unlikely that after two first choice targets of Cahil/Samba he was happy for a stop gap.

You do realize we were 3rd and looking the best team in the country at this point? im not sure why everyone now thinks we needed major investment halfway through the season to see us over the line.

I remember Saudi Sportswashing Machine investing midway through the season the year they ****ed a similar lead to us up - worth bearing in mind next time someone talks about it guaranteeing us 3rd...

Back