• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

We play 4411 with defoe up front like how we've done most of the season. If Defoe gets injured we play Dempsey.
If Dempsey gets injured we play Siggy. We are not gonna get in someone just for the sake of it. We have a long term transfer policy now. No more Sahas and Nelsons.
We can still recall Harry Kane if we are desperate.

Once again, Dempsey isn't a striker and neither is Sig.

Harry Kane is not premier league quality I'm afraid.

I'm assuming we will go for a striker in the summer anyway, so why not go for one now when there are a few whose contracts run out this summer i.e. Llorente or Huntelaar?

Last edited:

Don't know the exact stats, but has he impressed you this season? Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project fans have always said the same thing: he'll start off like a house on fire and you'll marvel at what a player you have, but he then proceeds to blow hot and cold and he ultimately lets you down. I accept that we don't have mega money to go and get Falcao, but some Spurs fans act like it's not even worth trying to get a better striker, some even have him as better than Llorente, I mean WTF!!

Don't know and those other fans again.

Dempsey can play as a striker, and can work well with Defoe, and I'm sure he could do a job as a lone striker too. Though I think we do need to buy in another striker, though not necessarily an expensive one, as cover. Naturally, I would love it if we bought a top class striker, but I'm doubtful that will happen this January.

Incidentally this article covers Adebayor's meeting with the President in pidgin English. It's remarkably like a Babelfish version of Polish into English or some such translation, but I guess pidgin English in ways is a pre-internet version of translated English that became a bona fide language.

http://www.supersport.com/football/africa-nation-cup/news/130105/Togo_Presido_don_hail_Adebayor

I particularly like the phrase 'afta dia bonus wahala', which seems to encapsulate the payments row quite neatly.

Last edited:

Once again, Dempsey isn't a striker and neither is Sig.

Harry Kane is not premier league quality I'm afraid.

I'm assuming we will go for a striker in the summer anyway, so why not go for one now when there are a few whose contracts run out this summer i.e. Llorente or Huntelaar?

AVB has made comments indicating that he counts Dempsey as a striker/forward.

If by your definition he isn't a striker that's fine, but then neither was VdV last season. Yet however you define their natural position they can play as one of the two central players furthest forward on the pitch in for example a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. Sig and Dempsey alongside either Ade or Defoe is as much an option as VdV alongside Ade or Defoe was an option last season.

That gives us for players who are viable candidates for those two positions. Defoe, Ade, Dempsey and Sig. So far we've tried and done well with Dempsey and Defoe as well as Ade and Defoe (who we also know from last season can form a good partnership). While I wouldn't be excited about Dempsey and Sig I do think Ade alongside either of those players will work fine. All in all that gives us as many possible combinations as we had last season.

Huntelaar signed a new contract a couple of weeks back.

I would be shocked if Levy hadn't made a call about Llorente, but I'm not getting my hopes up with Juventus reportedly leading the pack. I struggle to see why he would chose us over them even if we offered similar money and I think Juve can offer more money than us as well.

Seems as plain as day to me we need another No 9 type striker - who can lead the line and take chances.

Ade hasnt been up to it so far this season. I fear that he has the contract and money now - and is already looking for his next payday. He said he wasnt going to ANC, I said at the time I'll believe that when I see it. Nothing has changed.

Lets get in a top striker now and then i think CL will be secured for next season. Either Ade steps up when there is competition or the new man will hopefully deliver. Either way Spurs will be the winners.

We have already made two quality long term signings - now we just need a stellar forward signing for NOW

Ade could've really done with a couple of goals today. Worrying times.

According to some of the posters over at SC, he was very poor today and looked totally disinterested.

Would like to hear some of the posters from GG views on his performance today, when they get home from the game

Seems as plain as day to me we need another No 9 type striker - who can lead the line and take chances.

Ade hasnt been up to it so far this season. I fear that he has the contract and money now - and is already looking for his next payday. He said he wasnt going to ANC, I said at the time I'll believe that when I see it. Nothing has changed.

Lets get in a top striker now and then i think CL will be secured for next season. Either Ade steps up when there is competition or the new man will hopefully deliver. Either way Spurs will be the winners.

We have already made two quality long term signings - now we just need a stellar forward signing for NOW

I agree. We could have a lot of games between now and the end of the season if we are going to take the cups seriously and an injury to either Defoe or Ade and we could be stuffed.

I watched a couple of games today. Nile Ranger, Sammi Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Ricardo Vaz Te, Carlton Cole, Danny Welbeck... all those kind of guys run around all game and get involved and try and basically they don't look good enough and never will look like a top class striker.

Then you bring on Van Persie and he scores the crucial goal.

We cannot afford a guy like RVP but there is a huge difference between the top guys like Rooney and RVP compared to our guys Defoe and the "half Ade" we are currently seeing.

If Ade goes to the ANC and Defoe gets injured or suspended against QPR what happens against Man Utd?

Levy needs to pull his finger out

So Dempsey scores two, seems like a striker for me. Foe me, as I said Clint can act as a striker, and indeed as a lone striker.

I love Clint and am so happy for him and Spurs.

If Ade goes to the ANC and Defoe gets injured or suspended against QPR what happens against Man Utd?

Levy needs to pull his finger out

Clint can play lone striker, but yes I would love us to get another striker.

According to some of the posters over at SC, he was very poor today and looked totally disinterested.

Would like to hear some of the posters from GG views on his performance today, when they get home from the game

Personally I thought he was poor too, especialy in the first half, looked half-ars#d most of the time. Had an early chance in the second half one-on-one and just get muscled off the ball by Edjenguele, to the crowds dismay. That incident strangely enough seemed to spark him into action and he played better for the next 10/15mins, before drfiting back out of the game.

Big chance for him to get some goals today, but he hardly troubled their goalie, if at all. I'm convinced Defoe would have added to his tally had he started instead

Wen I dey Naija na so we talk

haha.

Adebayor is a classic 'contract year' case.

Contract year phenomenon is a term used in North American sports to describe the occurrence when athletes perform at a very high level in the season prior to their free agency eligibility. Most often, these athletes have seasons that are statistically better than previous years, but then once they sign their new contract, they return to their previous level of performance.

Back