• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Adebayor

defoe was not forced out lol hes not loyal. he was moaning last season about not getting games.

hes best friends are all arsenal fans. if they wanted him he would be gone.

Defoe has had three professional clubs in his entire career, which spans well over a decade.

A lot of footballers care more about how much they earn that football itself. This is why you'll see a lot of footballers move on after a couple of seasons at a club. They basically get a nice loyalty settlement from their old club, a nice signing on fee from their new club and quite often a wage increase to go with it. A lot of journeymen players actually gross more money in their career than better players simply because they move around more.

The above scenario is disloyal. Players that want to move on because a bigger team comes in for them, or because they want to be playing rather than sitting on the bench and its clear that the Manager doesn't want them in their plans and they have little chance of breaking into the first team, aren't disloyal.

I even get the money thing. Players don't have much time to earn money, even though they can earn a fortune. Most people's careers don't even get going until their early 30's. and that is when most footballers careers are coming to an end. So I don't blame players wanting to move on, on a regular basis.

The key is professionalism, how they conduct themselves when they want to leave. Defoe is a lot more professional than you give him credit for. Yes he has spoken to the press a few times in his career about maybe having to move on to find regular first team football, but your nickname is SuperPav and Pavlyuchenko was FAR worse than Defoe for sprouting off to the media everytime something didn't go his way. Is he also disloyal? Because if Pavlyuchenko had actually been any good, and Arsenal came in for him, I have little doubt he'd have wanted to go and he is the sort of personality that would have gone on strike. Defoe wouldn't go on strike I don't believe. This is a man who cares about football (not necessarily Spurs, but then I think very few players give a toss about the club they play for on an emotional level), a man who spent a summer in France, spending his own money on this, honing his physical fitness in preparation for a new season.

As for Adebayor? He is often accused of only playing when a new contract is on the table. I would hope not, but it could actually be the opposite. Adebayor has seen things that make football seem very insignificant. He may not even care that much for football anymore (a lot of footballers don't, it's just a job to them that pays very well so they are stuck doing it as they don't know what else to do and certainly couldn't earn the same money doing any other job). I am not saying that he is doing this, or would do this, but he may intentionally play well the first season he is at a club and then his performance levels drop off on purpose so that he can engineer a move to another club so he can obtain a new signing on fee from a new club, and a loyalty bonus from his old club.

How would we fit Adebayor in, though? We currently play 4-2-3-1, either we go 4-4-2 - and drop someone from the midfield, or we play him as one of the 3. Which means no Sigurdsson, Lamela, Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Eriksen or Holtby. How do you guys see us lining up with Ade AND Soldado?

--------------Soldado
Ade---------Eriksen----------Lamela

maybe an option in some games?

Ade's got the workrate and as a CF spends a lot of time drifting wide anyway. I'd be interested to see how he gets on as a wide forward. IIRC (but can't be sure) he played there sometimes early in his career.

Defoe has had three professional clubs in his entire career, which spans well over a decade.

A lot of footballers care more about how much they earn that football itself. This is why you'll see a lot of footballers move on after a couple of seasons at a club. They basically get a nice loyalty settlement from their old club, a nice signing on fee from their new club and quite often a wage increase to go with it. A lot of journeymen players actually gross more money in their career than better players simply because they move around more.

The above scenario is disloyal. Players that want to move on because a bigger team comes in for them, or because they want to be playing rather than sitting on the bench and its clear that the Manager doesn't want them in their plans and they have little chance of breaking into the first team, aren't disloyal.

I even get the money thing. Players don't have much time to earn money, even though they can earn a fortune. Most people's careers don't even get going until their early 30's. and that is when most footballers careers are coming to an end. So I don't blame players wanting to move on, on a regular basis.

The key is professionalism, how they conduct themselves when they want to leave. Defoe is a lot more professional than you give him credit for. Yes he has spoken to the press a few times in his career about maybe having to move on to find regular first team football, but your nickname is SuperPav and Pavlyuchenko was FAR worse than Defoe for sprouting off to the media everytime something didn't go his way. Is he also disloyal? Because if Pavlyuchenko had actually been any good, and Arsenal came in for him, I have little doubt he'd have wanted to go and he is the sort of personality that would have gone on strike. Defoe wouldn't go on strike I don't believe. This is a man who cares about football (not necessarily Spurs, but then I think very few players give a toss about the club they play for on an emotional level), a man who spent a summer in France, spending his own money on this, honing his physical fitness in preparation for a new season.

As for Adebayor? He is often accused of only playing when a new contract is on the table. I would hope not, but it could actually be the opposite. Adebayor has seen things that make football seem very insignificant. He may not even care that much for football anymore (a lot of footballers don't, it's just a job to them that pays very well so they are stuck doing it as they don't know what else to do and certainly couldn't earn the same money doing any other job). I am not saying that he is doing this, or would do this, but he may intentionally play well the first season he is at a club and then his performance levels drop off on purpose so that he can engineer a move to another club so he can obtain a new signing on fee from a new club, and a loyalty bonus from his old club.

If this is the case then I hope we are not paying him and he has the honour to walk away.

It's hard to know which Ade will turn up. If AVB by some miracle has discovered how to get contract season Ade playing in a non contract season then we'll have a very good striker on our hands.

In all likelihood we'll see more trapping the ball 10 yds, a complete lack of motivation and some people claiming he's helping by occupying defenders in precisely the same way Gary Doherty could occupy defenders for £240k per week less.

Anyone know if he's taking a sabbatical again this season?

Bingo! Better to get someone else in with the requisite hunger and motivation than take this very long odds gamble and risk unsettling the whole team ethos.

Bingo! Better to get someone else in with the requisite hunger and motivation than take this very long odds gamble and risk unsettling the whole team ethos.

AVB will see him every day in training, he talked to him regularly during pre-season, he probably kept in touch with him when he was away and he will now talk to him regularly again as he's back training with the first team.

How about just letting AVB make the decision?

The reason I would be against that is that I think having someone like Ade next to him would unlock what is missing from Soldado's game right now. He is being marked by 2 men, not just one CB. Eriksen/Holtby don't get close enough to occupy another CB, as they play between the lines.

Soldado spent years playing as the lone striker for Valencia and recently Spain so it's not as if what is being asked of him at Spurs is anything new, and Ade has in general played a similar role so sticking the two together in a 4-4-2 to me won't be a guarantee of any success, and then it negates the strength of our midfield. I know what you are saying Soldado is slightly isolated at times and is struggling to find space, but to remedy this I would rather we push our number 10 a little higher up the pitch so that the opposition CB's are more occupied.

Ade is here until at least January, lets see if he's prepared to work hard and regain some form, and if he is I'm sure he'll get used at some point.

Good post and point about Adebayor that i think a lot of people don't give enough thought to.

AVB will see him every day in training, he talked to him regularly during pre-season, he probably kept in touch with him when he was away and he will now talk to him regularly again as he's back training with the first team.

How about just letting AVB make the decision?

Fine by me. And great if Ade plays like he did in his first season. Personally, I dont see it happening.

How about if AVB doesn't see fit to play him and tries to sell him in January as he did in the summer? Will you accept his decision then instead of relentlessly advocating the case for Ade?

Fine by me. And great if Ade plays like he did in his first season. Personally, I dont see it happening.

How about if AVB doesn't see fit to play him and tries to sell him in January as he did in the summer? Will you accept his decision then instead of relentlessly advocating the case for Ade?

Yes I would accept his decision, I thought that would have been clear when I stated "How about just letting AVB make the decision?"

I don't think I've been relentlessly advocating the case for Ade, but if you feel that way fair enough.

--------------Soldado
Ade---------Eriksen----------Lamela

maybe an option in some games?

Ade's got the workrate and as a CF spends a lot of time drifting wide anyway. I'd be interested to see how he gets on as a wide forward. IIRC (but can't be sure) he played there sometimes early in his career.

I'd be interested in seeing him play on the left in 4-2-3-1 too. When he has played alongside Defoe he has played deeper and drifted wide.

Managers ask Director of Football to bring in a striker with certain attributes. Director of Football brings in a striker, but it turns out that striker doesn't have the attributes the Manager actually wanted after all. Not exactly an uncommon situation.

There's no way that's how it worked at Spurs this summer though. AVB would have been the author of our wish-list of players, with input/consultation from Baldini, Levy and technical staff. But AVB would have been the boss of that list. The idea that he gave a general list of qualities to Baldini and then didn't know who Baladini was talking to doesn't hold water.

Although, I have wondered how it was that Benteke was No. 1 on the list and after he fell through we turned to Soldado at No. 2 in the list. Totally different players, which makes it odd they were No. 1 and 2 on the list. (I'm assuming here that Villa would have been an opportunistic purchase rather than someone who was on the list from the getgo. Perhaps like Willian in that sense).

Good to hear that Ade has rejoined the first team for training but don't expect he'll be making an appearance in any PL match day squad, unless there some major injuries to Soldado, Defoe and Kane.

However he has got to be worth a bench spot for the Europa league - if only for the fact that it is clear the club tried to sell him and putting him in the shop window is the best way to get someone interested. Unlike Daws I don't see Ade busting a gut to get back in the team, he just doesn't come across as that type of personality. I hope I'm wrong.

The main sticking point though will always be his wages, in any potential transfer. with Mancini now manager at Gala there is a rumour that he is interested in buyin Ade, so will be interesting to see how Ade performs.

There's no way that's how it worked at Spurs this summer though. AVB would have been the author of our wish-list of players, with input/consultation from Baldini, Levy and technical staff. But AVB would have been the boss of that list. The idea that he gave a general list of qualities to Baldini and then didn't know who Baladini was talking to doesn't hold water.

Although, I have wondered how it was that Benteke was No. 1 on the list and after he fell through we turned to Soldado at No. 2 in the list. Totally different players, which makes it odd they were No. 1 and 2 on the list. (I'm assuming here that Villa would have been an opportunistic purchase rather than someone who was on the list from the getgo. Perhaps like Willian in that sense).

No, I think David Villa was #1 and Soldado #2 - very similar players. Villa was probably only above Soldado because at that point in time we didn't expect the Bale windfall. Remember we also tried for Villa last January.

I think Benteke was the opportunistic one that we (and possibly Levy, more than AVB-Baldini) took a look at because it fell into our lap (albeit we later found as a contract negotating ploy by Benteke).

AVB's preference for Torres over Drogba/Lukaku suggests to me that his preference is much more for a Soldado/Villa-type.

No, I think David Villa was #1 and Soldado #2 - very similar players. Villa was probably only above Soldado because at that point in time we didn't expect the Bale windfall. Remember we also tried for Villa last January.

I think Benteke was the opportunistic one that we (and possibly Levy, more than AVB-Baldini) took a look at because it fell into our lap (albeit we later found as a contract negotating ploy by Benteke).

AVB's preference for Torres over Drogba/Lukaku suggests to me that his preference is much more for a Soldado/Villa-type.

Yeah, that makes sense actually.

Andre Villas-Boas "not considering" Emmanuel Adebayor loan exit
Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 15:18 UK

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has revealed that the club is "not considering anything" when it comes to sending Emmanuel Adebayor out on loan.

The striker recently returned to training with the Premier League club following a three-month absence on compassionate leave.

Reports have suggested that Spurs could let the 29-year-old move on a temporary deal, but Villas-Boas claims that a switch is unlikely.

"At the moment he's come back into the team to train, which he hasn't done since the Hong Kong trip, so at the moment we are monitoring how the player develops his fitness and challenges for his place in the team," he is quoted as saying by Sky Sports News. "We're not considering anything."

Adebayor's last competitive appearance for Spurs came on the final day of last season.

------------------

With us lacking in goals now, Adebayor will give us more options in attack.

Eh? Defoe left in January 2008, after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008. Had Capello been appointed by then?

Do you mean Capello told him that in future if he wanted to be part of the squad generally he'd have to be getting more starts?

That is excately what i meant, i just phrased it badly and Cappello was appointed in Dec 2007.

The above scenario is disloyal.

Robbie Keane comes to mind.

How do you know that we are not already playing his preferred system? Maybe it is just taking a little time to settle.

Why would we pay £26m for a 28 year old striker and then expect him to change his game? I'd have presumed that we knew what we were buying, his style of play and his strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway on Ade, I hope he comes back and plays a big part for us. A brilliant player on his day who offers something that none of our other strikers can. I hope he has plenty of those days with is this season

i dont understand what you're trying to say here. How do i know we arent playing to his desired system? answer is i dont but people are talking about changing the system we are playing NOW for soldado, as in get him help ...am saying that if this is the system AVB wants to play and soldado was bought for that then solly needs to get moving with it.

i dont understand what the part of your post about system has to do with what i said to be honest. whether he likes the lone striker or not...we shouldnt shelve it to suit it....we should try and make that work with him or someone else...if all fails , then change it

again i wouldnt mind clarification as to what you were referring to

as far as taking time to settle , thats a TOTALLY different line altogether. no one is running me with the whole time to settle stuff...by the tail end of THIS season...mister 26 million pound 28/29 year old needs to be in full swing by then...and by that i mean that it should be clear as day that he has to be a guy that we feel we cant do without or at least is significantly contributing to us being superior in the league...or attempting to anyway. taking time to settle shouldnt be looking for next season for someone as finished a product as solly is. right now i think we could hang with any 3 of our strikers

Actually you have no evidence to support that assertion. He was given a £25m price tag and Villa made it clear they would not accept anything less. We were interested but were not ready to match that amount. Once Benteke realised he had been priced out of a move to Tottenham or any where else he negotiated a new and improved deal, now that in my opinion is the same as a negotiating 'ploy'

How do you know that we are not already playing his preferred system? Maybe it is just taking a little time to settle.

Why would we pay £26m for a 28 year old striker and then expect him to change his game? I'd have presumed that we knew what we were buying, his style of play and his strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway on Ade, I hope he comes back and plays a big part for us. A brilliant player on his day who offers something that none of our other strikers can. I hope he has plenty of those days with is this season

lol, you just have to be a social worker, in the real world with his lack of commitment and effort he would be unemployable, I do hope that you are right but I doubt it, he is the original bad apple.

Back