• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Adebayor

Genuine question this, not a wind up... if Adebayor stays and scores 5 league goals this season (or a few more, but basically the same 1 in 5 rate he scored last time... no ACN this year so he would likely play more games) would you still insist we should keep him in the hope he returns to the form of his first season? Basically, how long does a player have to be off the boil before you'd be willing to give up on him?

If AVB still wants him to drop deep or go wide to help link up play and provide space for Bale we might not get 20 goals, but given his age I think he needs to hit double figure for us not to move him on next summer.

Genuine question this, not a wind up... if Adebayor stays and scores 5 league goals this season (or a few more, but basically the same 1 in 5 rate he scored last time... no ACN this year so he would likely play more games) would you still insist we should keep him in the hope he returns to the form of his first season? Basically, how long does a player have to be off the boil before you'd be willing to give up on him?

If the answer is "one season", how many very useful players would top teams including ourselves have given up on in recent years?

This "off the boil" player scored 2 in our last 3 EPL games.

Yes. And three in the previous 22 that he played. I judge a player's form based on a few months, not a couple of games. Pretty sure Gary Doherty had a decent run of form and scored two in three games at some point in his career with us. Obviously I'm not comparing Doherty to Adebayor quality-wise - just pointing out that stats don't tell the full story and two decent games does not a season make.

Look if Adebayor is impressing AVB in training and our manager thinks he can still do a job for us, then I'll accept that and get behind him (as I do with every player that wears our colours). I just think that a permanent shift to 4-3-3 means it's imperative we have a reliable goal-scorer in the centre of that front three. I don't think Adebayor is reliable enough to bank on right now. And I don't think we can keep someone on his rumoured salary at the club unless he's first choice.

If the answer is "one season", how many very useful players would top teams including ourselves have given up on in recent years?

See my response to 'onlyme' (above). I think every situation should be judged on its merits and I think a reliable striker is a priority for a team playing 4-3-3. And Adebayor is on too much money to be back up.

If AVB still wants him to drop deep or go wide to help link up play and provide space for Bale we might not get 20 goals, but given his age I think he needs to hit double figure for us not to move him on next summer.

I seriously hope AVB won't play 4-3-3 and ask the central striker to drop deep and not be a goal-scorer. That'd be pretty risky.

See my response to 'onlyme' (above). I think every situation should be judged on its merits and I think a reliable striker is a priority for a team playing 4-3-3. And Adebayor is on too much money to be back up.

I don't disagree, I just wanted to point out that a season is a fairly small sample size.

Who gets sold if/when we sign a new striker will depend on what kind of offers we get for Defoe and/or Ade.

I seriously hope AVB won't play 4-3-3 and ask the central striker to drop deep and not be a goal-scorer. That'd be pretty risky.

yet this is not an uknown way of playing a 433. to have the central figure as a pivot to feed off of.

you dont have to be a chronic scorer, infact i would guess that in a 433 you actually want to focus on someone that has the ability to work up top on their own as opposed to a pure goal scorer

Some here would swap Ade for £5million.

Can anyone suggest who we could buy to replace him with that £5 million?

Some here would swap Ade for £5million.

Can anyone suggest who we could buy to replace him with that £5 million?

I'm agnostic on selling Ade but I think the argument is that we could put the £100k+ that we pay him to better use not the transfer fee that he would bring in.

I'm agnostic on selling Ade but I think the argument is that we could put the £100k+ that we pay him to better use not the transfer fee that he would bring in.

As well as a huge saving on wages it wouldalso open up a spot in the squad for someone who genuinely cares and is willing to try.

Precisely. If Adebayor wasn't our second highest earner I'd be more than happy to keep him at the club. Maybe he'd have a season like 2011/2012 and he'd lead the line for us. Or maybe he'd have a season like last one and have a reduced role as an impact sub. But 100k a week for a back-up player isn't something Spurs can afford from a financial standpoint. And that 100k probably prevents us bringing in another striker to take his place which - if he has another bad season - isn't something Spurs can afford from a performance standpoint.

It's just too big a risk in my view.

But with our record of signing strikers do you truly believe that spot would be filled?

For the amount of goals and contribution we got from Ade last year any of our current squad could have played and given us the same. I'm sure even if Harry Kane had payed as much as Ade he'd have scored as many.

For the amount of goals and contribution we got from Ade last year any of our current squad could have played and given us the same. I'm sure even if Harry Kane had payed as much as Ade he'd have scored as many.

I guess we could play Kane, i doubt he'd have gotten as many as Ade though.

It would just be the next thing to rant about though.

I would keep Ade if we are only signing one other striker. people keep saying Benteke wouldn't want high wages, so we'd still only have one striker on high wages. Benteke/Ade/Defoe seems like a good setup to me.

I think I'd be content if we only added Benteke, and I agree it'll be important to keep Adebayor if we are only getting one in. Anyway, I think the poor season he had last year is likely to be a big outlier. I'd expect him to be much improved this term.

Kane?? :eek: id rather stick with a rubbish Ade

Back