• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Last match I would have changed the tactics. I would have ...played with Kulu as a CAM ...we do get outnumbered in the centre and with Bissouma making his first start, having an extra man in midfield could have worked better as it was always going to be a battle of a match.
Seems pretty obvious doesn't it. Maybe Conte feels that our 2 men in midfield is OK because Spam have 3 or 4 players closing in on them, so adding Kulu doesn't change that i.e. we would just have 3 CMs looking scared in the middle, closed by 4 players.

The key is to (1) play quick first time passes before the pressers can move and (2) be brave enough to turn and pick a quick pass. Your "passing stats" will suffer but 1 time in 3 you will break the lock and we'll be charging in on goal.

Actually did pretty well tonight I thought. His defending was very good, covered for Romero for a change. I still have to say he is a bit clueless when it comes to attacking but he did offer himself in the box. I do think he goes too narrow sometimes though, runs into the same channels as Kane for example in some of our other matches.

Actually did pretty well tonight I thought. His defending was very good, covered for Romero for a change. I still have to say he is a bit clueless when it comes to attacking but he did offer himself in the box. I do think he goes too narrow sometimes though, runs into the same channels as Kane for example in some of our other matches.

That seems to be the common consensus; strong defensively but gets lost in attacking play. Use him against the stronger teams but reduces our attacking play against teams we really should beat comfortably.

As others have said, should play against teams where we need to keep it tight, but no reason for him to play against teams we should beat we we need better attacking play from his position, which Docherty and hopefully Spence can provide.

Was thinking maybe Emerson can tuck in defensively and allow Romero to go forward when we are in possession. Then Romero drops back and as he does so, Emerson is back at right back. Definitely needs tweaking tactically if Emerson is staying in the team.
Emerson is needed v City at the weekend then maybe try different midweek in the CL.

We've got some goals from the right side, though not crosses, so perhaps that's exactly what Conte wants from Royal.

Even if not crossing the hold up play and containment is very good on the right with royal`s defensiveness. Its usually the side of the pitch where we can feel confident, allowing the rest of the team to reset and reform comfortably.

I'm happy with him there, but i think he needs to work better with kulusevski on little one twos to help find a breakthrough, and yes, work on better crosses that connect.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

He does a lot of things very well BUT does a couple of things very averagely. And I'm not sure he will improve those things.

It's one of those...that if Hakimi was there, you'd think 'ahhh....I see how the system benefits now'.
Similar to when Kulu took over from Moura.

If only conte would play spence
When Kulu was getting ready to be subbed on, I imagined Spence telling Forster that he's got even Lucas and Kulu ahead of him in the pecking order for RWB and Forster is laughing since he's only got one player ahead of him but chances are he will never play too.

When Kulu was getting ready to be subbed on, I imagined Spence telling Forster that he's got even Lucas and Kulu ahead of him in the pecking order for RWB and Forster is laughing since he's only got one player ahead of him but chances are he will never play too.
It’s scary that we persist with a functional player rather than a good one for the role

I thought he was our best player on the night until the red card. Did everything right defensively in the first half, and was instrumental in creating the situation that resulted in the dismissal.
That he is the discussion for being the best player is more an indication of how poor everyone else was.
Said it elsewhere, very good defensively but poor offensively, his normal performance.

I think Emerson gets a bum wrap. Agreed he's hopeless when he gets the chance to attack but apart from that he's a pretty talented footballer as well as a great character. I have noticed over time that he has really quick feet for a defender, often looks like he's about to lose possession in a tight space but rarely does due to some pretty nifty foot work. I hope we can find a way of keeping him.

I think Emerson gets a bum wrap. Agreed he's hopeless when he gets the chance to attack but apart from that he's a pretty talented footballer as well as a great character. I have noticed over time that he has really quick feet for a defender, often looks like he's about to lose possession in a tight space but rarely does due to some pretty nifty foot work. I hope we can find a way of keeping him.
He is fine defensively
Not fine attack wise
The latter really hurts us in this system
He has a number of staff working with him to Improve all of that which I think is great to see

Based on this excellent write-up on Kulu:
https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2022...ach-to-high-value-low-volume-chance-creation/

It explains how Royal works with Kulu unlike conventional Conte's wingers such as Perisic - Apparently Kulu is the one to go wide while Royal "underlaps"
DK9.jpg

......Furthermore, Kulusevski’s willingness to attack the ‘Decoy Zone’ allows the wingback (usually Emerson Royal) to make underlapping runs in the half space. Spurs are no strangers to using underlaps to open passing/crossing lanes; last season we often saw the left-centreback Ben Davies make underlapping runs from deep to open the crossing lanes for Sergio Reguillon, the left-wingback. Indeed, while the use of inverted full backs in deeper areas has been commonplace for a few seasons, wing-backs are increasingly being used more aggressively in underlapping positions to create chances or shooting opportunities as a late-arriving, spare man.

n this scenario, the dynamic relationship between Emerson and Kulusevski means that Emerson can be found in the cutback zone by a reverse pass from Kulusevski, or Kulusevski can treat Emerson as a decoy and cut in to execute a cross on his stronger left foot. It’s a win-win when it all goes to plan, which it often does in a side as well-drilled as Antonio Conte’s Spurs.

Furthermore, with Kulusevski peeling wide and Emerson attacking depth in the half-space, there is also space opened in the half-space for a third-man runner to receive and cross.

DK10-1.png

I suppose that "third man" is Hojberg.

Back