• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Good that he can join during the international break given Romero and Sanchez will be missing

Actually, the back 4 for Palace (Emerson, Dier, Tanganga/Rodon, Reguilon) are all at Spurs this week (not a good sign that they're not in their national squads?!?) so could develop some understanding ahead of that game

Interesting read on Royal in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2800838/202...ct-from-the-right-back-signed-from-barcelona/

Sounds like a hard working, level headed and ambitious guy, with plenty of attacking ability and the physique to make it in the PL.
Sounds very good.

Get the impression he's actually a bit more limited on the ball than the classic Brazilian full backs, perhaps less than some expect. But a good mix of defensive, physical and attacking attributes, good attitude, only 22. Sounds like a solid signing.

Aggressive and able to run up and down the flank, provide width to our otherwise narrow attack and aggression with good tackling ability at the back. To me that seems like a good fit, and giving us two different, but not too different options in him and Tanganga.

Not being funny, but his highlights make him look like Sissoko .... heavy first touch, clumsy on the ball, strong, decent pace, tackles by sticking out a leg and falling into the player ....

But ill hold my breath and magically hope that the highlights are just a false glimpse.

Not being funny, but his highlights make him look like Sissoko .... heavy first touch, clumsy on the ball, strong, decent pace, tackles by sticking out a leg and falling into the player ....

But ill hold my breath and magically hope that the highlights are just a false glimpse.
How many times have you seen a highlights video that has made them look world class only for them to be bang average? Maybe this is the opposite?

Technically we could build an entire five-man backline of blokes who speak Spanish - Emerson, Sanchez, Romero, Dier, Reggy. Lloris does too.

He'll be fine. Plus Lucas is around to teach him English. :p
Can Dier speak Spanish? Thought he was raised in Lisbon. I know the countries are next to each other but...

Can Dier speak Spanish? Thought he was raised in Lisbon. I know the countries are next to each other but...

I think he can. Didn't Trippier say something, after moving to Atletico, about how Dier kept messaging him in Spanish to make him learn the language, or something like that.

Cheers Dubai. Sounds promising. Still young and should have the potential to keep developing. Walker, Rose and many other full backs that ended up really good weren't exactly superstars at that age.

Seems like a high intensity, fairly aggressive player, but without being rash or reckless? Just based on stats and some YouTube videos. Do you share that opinion?

Fairly strong one on one defender despite not being incredibly quick? (another impression I'm curious about your views on).

Nuno and/or Paratici seems to want quite a lot of intensity and aggression into the team based on the players we're signing. Even Gil looks like he's happy to play with some intensity, pressures, tackles. And he's a 20 year old technical player that isn't particularly physical.

I fully admit, I haven't seen much of him. My opinion stems from my mate, who is a Barca fan who has watched him play for Betis a lot these past two seasons.

I had a long chat with him the day we were first linked, and the summary was essentially as you've outlined - aggressive player, strong guy, wins absolute tons of interceptions and tackles. Not the most rapid guy in the world - he's not quite at the level Walker was - but he's comfortably fast enough to keep pace with attackers, and faster than (for example) Trippier was. Has a decent cross on him, but his strength at Betis in an offensive sense was actually passing and cutbacks from the line, which makes sense given that they're a fairly short team.

He also said Emerson's a humble guy who's positive and works incredibly hard, on and off the field. Overall, he thinks the Prem is a perfect landing ground for the guy - this league's more about pace, power and commitment than intricate passing and tactical periodisation like in Spain, and he feels that suits Emerson's game down to the ground.

(Conversely, it's also why Trippier's done well in Spain, apparently - there are fewer physical matchups and more time's given to players to pick their passes, which is why Trippier's passing ability from deep really came to shine in his opinion. :) )

If he has weaknesses, it's that he dives in a lot, is a bit rash and is sometimes caught out in terms of positioning, but that's true of all young full-backs - hardly a deal breaker, unless they never grow out of it like Aurier.

And like you, I like Nuno's squad building so far. The thing is, our best periods under Poch came when we were the most dominant physical side in the league - in that last season at the Lane, you could visibly see us tower over our opponents, and we usually physically overpowered them in minutes with our high-pressing game, winning every duel and establishing dominance early. Led to some ludicrous scorelines that year.

That whole team was young, fit, fast and powerful -I've always wanted us to get back to that approach. It's simple, but imo, effective. Build a young, hungry, energetic team with a physical presence, who can also play a bit.

With our current squad, we're trending in that direction, and even physically slighter guys like Gil and Lo Celso seem (from early viewing) to be the types who relish going into challenges and fighting to get on the ball. So, good signs imo. :)

Last edited:

I believe so, yeah. I remember him chatting with Reggy in Spanish in a couple of our tunnel videos from last season.

In any case, he can speak Portuguese as well, so Emerson has no cause for complaints. And he can translate everything back to Japh if he's in that backline, so no worries there as well. :p

They are actually the same language, Spanish just have a lisp on the end of their words. Th th th th th th.
I'm guessing you're trying to be funny, right? Beacause all of that is wrong. The only people that speak the equivalent of Queens English lisp. Also Spanish and Portuguese are the same language in the same way that English and German is.

I believe so, yeah. I remember him chatting with Reggy in Spanish in a couple of our tunnel videos from last season.

In any case, he can speak Portuguese as well, so Emerson has no cause for complaints. And he can translate everything back to Japh if he's in that backline, so no worries there as well. :p
Dier can speak 5 languages iirc

Back