• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Yeah it has very big similarities
I say it’s the lack of playing a number 10 in that role
Tanguy is potentially an amazing player but playing at 10 he needs to live it quicker vs better teams.
There is that but he also needs to get it earlier and better situations than he has been. I think you feel similarly to me that as much as Skill and Hojberg gives us a good degree of defensive solidity in the middle it is quite lacking in the possession phase. Both can pass but neither passes particularly quickly of expansive or with much rhythm. It's a lot of two touch and then a look up and then a pass. I don't really think it matters who the AM is, if we give them the ball so sluggishly it leaves them with too much work to do and too many defenders to bypass. Eriksen was excellent for us, but the team would have been more effective if we had, had at least one CM who excelled with his passing range, vision and importantly execution.

Now we potentially have that CM but we play him as the 10. We could swap in GLC but I see him similarly struggling when the ball gets player to his in poor positions and so late in the tempo of the move.

There is that but he also needs to get it earlier and better situations than he has been. I think you feel similarly to me that as much as Skill and Hojberg gives us a good degree of defensive solidity in the middle it is quite lacking in the possession phase. Both can pass but neither passes particularly quickly of expansive or with much rhythm. It's a lot of two touch and then a look up and then a pass. I don't really think it matters who the AM is, if we give them the ball so sluggishly it leaves them with too much work to do and too many defenders to bypass. Eriksen was excellent for us, but the team would have been more effective if we had, had at least one CM who excelled with his passing range, vision and importantly execution.

Now we potentially have that CM but we play him as the 10. We could swap in GLC but I see him similarly struggling when the ball gets player to his in poor positions and so late in the tempo of the move.
MOTD2 did an analysis is and Tanguy was guilty of playing it slow
Taking too many touches and killing the attack
The guy haw to play CM IMO
Play Lo Celso at 10
Drop PEH for skipp

MOTD2 did an analysis is and Tanguy was guilty of playing it slow
Taking too many touches and killing the attack
The guy haw to play CM IMO
Play Lo Celso at 10
Drop PEH for skipp
I'm sure he does, he doesn't play with the quick killer ball instinct that a top AM instinctively does, but he's always been a CM before he got to us so no surprise really.

I'm sure he does, he doesn't play with the quick killer ball instinct that a top AM instinctively does, but he's always been a CM before he got to us so no surprise really.
That’s his position
It’s mental IMO to try to change a players position when your trying to develop a team
But there are plenty who seem happy with Tanguy there which I just don’t get
He was poor vs villa, great vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine and was decent first half yesterday

That’s his position
It’s mental IMO to try to change a players position when your trying to develop a team
He was poor vs villa, great vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine and was decent first half yesterday
I think with the change of system, he's plonking Ndombele there as the 'creative one', still to worried to partner him with either Skipp or PEH in the 2 from a defensive viewpoint, and I understand that.

You're right though, he is better with the game ahead of him and we have seen in his early days he can play along the floor defence splitting 30/40 yard balls.

I think Nuno is being risk averse at the moment. Remember we are currently also getting used to a CH that will steam 10/20yds forwards to snuff danger out, and that's not always working. I'm not sure Ndombele would be alive to the fallout from that action if he played deeper.

You'd think it's got to get to the stage though that we just need 1 of Skipp or PEH against lesser teams.

We all thought ideally a 3 would work with Ndombele Lo Celso Skipp/PEH but that appears off the menu at the moment.

I think with the change of system, he's plonking Ndombele there as the 'creative one', still to worried to partner him with either Skipp or PEH in the 2 from a defensive viewpoint, and I understand that.

You're right though, he is better with the game ahead of him and we have seen in his early days he can play along the floor defence splitting 30/40 yard balls.

I think Nuno is being risk averse at the moment. Remember we are currently also getting used to a CH that will steam 10/20yds forwards to snuff danger out, and that's not always working. I'm not sure Ndombele would be alive to the fallout from that action if he played deeper.

You'd think it's got to get to the stage though that we just need 1 of Skipp or PEH against lesser teams.

We all thought ideally a 3 would work with Ndombele Lo Celso Skipp/PEH but that appears off the menu at the moment.
It hasn’t worked
But then when we played it we always played it as a 3 so they we’re on top of each other
After United we have a favourable run of fixtures (ish)
That’s when you can try Tanguy back in CM. It should have been cvs Saudi Sportswashing Machine IMO to see
Skipp can start and we have PEH ago come on and kill games

looking back under JM we were scoring for fun but the defence undermined all the goals with individual mistakes.
yes nuno is being conservative and in my opinion the defensive line is too low most of the time or fall back too quickly and hence can't attack quickly with numbers. We always seem outnumbered when we launch an attack and inevitably, play the ball sideways or backwards so that the rest of the team can come forwards.
Even with two defensively minded CMs in Skipp and Hojberg, Nuno still doesn't have the confidence.

That’s his position

Poch did it with Dembele. He moved Dembele to RM for a while whilst using Mason and Bentaleb at CM. The main purpose of this was to speed the transition play from CM. but it also helped Dembele develop, so when he moved back into CM, he'd become less blind alleys.

Poch did it with Dembele. He moved Dembele to RM for a while whilst using Mason and Bentaleb at CM. The main purpose of this was to speed the transition play from CM. but it also helped Dembele develop, so when he moved back into CM, he'd become less blind alleys.
Don’t remember that at all
Was another pre season game?

looking back under JM we were scoring for fun but the defence undermined all the goals with individual mistakes.
yes nuno is being conservative and in my opinion the defensive line is too low most of the time or fall back too quickly and hence can't attack quickly with numbers. We always seem outnumbered when we launch an attack and inevitably, play the ball sideways or backwards so that the rest of the team can come forwards.
Even with two defensively minded CMs in Skipp and Hojberg, Nuno still doesn't have the confidence.
When were we scoring goals for fun under Jose?

Exaggerated statement but it seems like so compared to now when a whole half ca go by without an attempt at goal. First half of the season when we were top of the table, I recall kane and son at top of goals and assists stats and they looked like they were going to score twenty goals each.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Exaggerated statement but it seems like so compared to now when a whole half ca go by without an attempt at goal. First half of the season when we were top of the table, I recall kane and son at top of goals and assists stats and they looked like they were going to score twenty goals each.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
We did score a decent amount but we weren't creating a great deal. I remember Soon and Kane were in world class finishing form. Everything was just going in but it wasn't sustainable because they're wasn't a fountain of creativity behind it. Teams adapted to Kane dropping deep and the goals dried up.

We did score a decent amount but we weren't creating a great deal. I remember Soon and Kane were in world class finishing form. Everything was just going in but it wasn't sustainable because they're wasn't a fountain of creativity behind it. Teams adapted to Kane dropping deep and the goals dried up.
Basically son and Kane were playing the exact opposite of how they are now (although sonny has been decent)

I do vaguely remember what he's talking about. 2014 sounds about right.
It’s possible for 3/4 games
I mean I’ve looked at the formations of our teams for half that season and he certainly isnt down as playing right side
He only played in 25 games that season

It’s possible for 3/4 games
I mean I’ve looked at the formations of our teams for half that season and he certainly isnt down as playing right side
He only played in 25 games that season

He and Eriksen interchanged between #10 and RM. The same as Alli and Eriksen later did (although then Alli was the slightly more central of the two then). Dembele was more firmly 'narrow right' that season though

Chadli, Townsend and Dembele shared the two non-Eriksen AM spot minutes round between them (25 league games each, Lamela was injured/had 9)

He and Eriksen interchanged between #10 and RM. The same as Alli and Eriksen later did (although then Alli was the slightly more central of the two then). Dembele was more firmly 'narrow right' that season though

Chadli, Townsend and Dembele shared the two non-Eriksen AM spot minutes round between them (25 league games each, Lamela was injured/had 9)
Hold on was he playing midfield or attack?
I mean RM is very different to play wing right side in a 4-2-3-1
Your talking about him playing some games on the right of the 3. That’s not unusual for a left footer

Hold on was he playing midfield or attack?
I mean RM is very different to play wing right side in a 4-2-3-1
Your talking about him playing some games on the right of the 3. That’s not unusual for a left footer

RM in a 4-2-3-1. Poch never went 4-3-3 IIRC.

But the original point was Poch temporarily moved him from CM to AM, to both improve our CM transitioning and try and curb Dembele's slow release. It's an interesting/possibly hopeful precedence for doing the same with N'dombele now.

Back