• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Elderly" Strikers-Yes or No?

I'd take Villa in a heart beat, there are some positions where experience is key and if we were to bring in a young striker as well as him it would benefit the former immensely.

David Villa is the only guy I really want this window, although will wait and watch how Leandro Damiao does against France and England next month.

Yes, would have taken Berb's back last season (not this one)

As previously mentioned, experience, positioning, runs are all good. Only issues with older strikers is if their game was based off pace.

old-footballer.jpg

Attachments

• old-footballer.jpg
    old-footballer.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
Don't see why not. If they are better than what we have and can help us move onto the next step I'm all for it. As long as we consistently get our foot in that door we can quite easily replace them with someone younger. Both Villa and Vucinic would move us on to the next step, they are both better than what we have.

Vucinic hasn't been very clinical for Juventus. He's skilful but no finisher while more was expected of Fred at Lyon

Is Vucinic an out and out striker or more of a Berba type?

More of a Berba type. Doesn't really play up top for Juventus as they prefer Quagliarella or Matri.. He was dropped to the bench for the final 3 games of the season anyway.

More of a Berba type. Doesn't really play up top for Juventus as they prefer Quagliarella or Matri.. He was dropped to the bench for the final 3 games of the season anyway.
Cool. I'm trying to think where he might fit in our formation (whatever that might be).

Cool. I'm trying to think where he might fit in our formation (whatever that might be).

Out the left ala Siggy or Dempsey.
And people would complain about him endlessly after expecting huge things from him and being annoyed that he doesn't run about more.
I dont think he's that suited to the premier league personally.

Depends on the type of player

Intelligent players like Berbatov, Vucinic, Villa are fine till 33/34.

Powerful players like Drogba are fine till 33/34.

Pacy players like Lineker, Owen, Andy Cole tend to go off the cliff at 30/31.

Fred was pretty crap in the French league and went back to Brazil with his tail between his legs IIRC

Trouble with buying a young striker with potential is if progress they will undoubtedly go the same way as Berbatov/Carrick/Modric etc and get tapped up and want to leave.

I have nothing against ageing players that still possess quality, the only problem is Levy and the issue of value. Players around the 30 mark are looking for that last big contract and will generally be looking for a 3-4 year deal, selling clubs will no doubt still be looking to recoup a good fee for them, and at 30 years of age there is no guarantee their body will still allow them to perform at the level of previous years be that through more injuries or just a decline in physical attributes. And finally resale value which will be little to none.

Unless you can get a bargain such as a player on a free or final year of contract, the financial risks are fairly high from a business standpoint, so you can see why as a club under Levy we rarely go for these deals.

Trouble with buying a young striker with potential is if progress they will undoubtedly go the same way as Berbatov/Carrick/Modric etc and get tapped up and want to leave.

Better to have great players who are capable of moving up the food chain, in contrast to our current two forwards who QPR are, at a push, possibly interested in.

That's a "cost" of being successful that we have to accept.

Signing players, having them around for 2 years being brilliant and then making a massive profit when selling them doesn't seem like a cost at all to me. Much worse to spend money on players that aren't good enough.

elderly, yes, only if hardworking. no room for passengers in AVB's set up.
needs to move a lot to get in position or draw players out.

Back