• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Driver less cars

I already mentioned in the other thread that the biggest challenge isn't technical, it's moral/philosophical.

There will come a time, in the long lifetime of an automated car, when a child runs out in front. The only way to avoid that child will be to swerve into a tree and probably kill the passenger in the car. How does it choose?

What if one or another car must have a fatal crash and my car has just me in and the other car has 4 people - do I have to accept that my car will kill me?

Whatever choice is made for this dilemma the driverless technology will be a lot more moral than ape-driven cars. Or rather, it will have to be to ever become relevant.

Unless people are in a distinct "make perfection the enemy of progress" kind of mood I'm guessing the legality of the dilemma you propose will be solved relatively quickly. Though perhaps not in the same way in all places. And quite possibly there will be a small underground "I want my care to take better of me" software hack for those of you with Trump-esque scores on psychopathy inventories ;)

In short I think market forces on this will ensure a fairly quick solution despite the difficulty in the moral question you propose. Then philosophers can discuss the philosophy of it ad nauseum ;)

Speed within the speed limit you could probably control as long as you're not a hindrance to others. Route I'm sure you could choose.

Insurance will most likely come down big time as accidents get reduced with driverless technology. The decreased insurance cost (and possibly road tax etc) will most likely drive people towards the driverless tech. Car sharing could be another big impact factor. A driverless taxi/uber/whatever service would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the current options. A lot of people might not even need a car any more as driverless solutions are implemented. Not to mention no more drunk driving problems. Get you car to the pub, get tinklees, technology gets you and your back home.

So many factors that will make driverless cars a better alternative for a lot of people.
That will hinder sales I'm sure.

I'm a technology addict and usually an early adopter of most things. Unless the speed limits in this country are significantly raised, it would stop me purchasing.

I commute along the M4 three times per week, and would welcome a driverless car. It is BORING following idiots who can't go above 70 and brake without need.

My Mercedes has Distronic cruise control which maintains distance to the car in front... except the minimum distance is plenty for people to jump into the gap, so I have to keep overriding it to keep my place in the queue. Otherwise someone jumps in and my car brakes to keep the distance, then someone else jumps in etc etc.

Also, I have to keep the radar/infrared sensors clean and dirt free for it to work properly. What if a load of people buy driverless cars but allow them to get filthy, the sensors get covered and then... oops!

I commute along the M4 three times per week, and would welcome a driverless car. It is BORING following idiots who can't go above 70 and brake without need.

My Mercedes has Distronic cruise control which maintains distance to the car in front... except the minimum distance is plenty for people to jump into the gap, so I have to keep overriding it to keep my place in the queue. Otherwise someone jumps in and my car brakes to keep the distance, then someone else jumps in etc etc.

Also, I have to keep the radar/infrared sensors clean and dirt free for it to work properly. What if a load of people buy driverless cars but allow them to get filthy, the sensors get covered and then... oops!
Have you tried the system on the new E Class? I'm very tempted but I don't like the look of the tax bill.

Have you tried the system on the new E Class? I'm very tempted but I don't like the look of the tax bill.
No I haven't. The problem with Distronic is that Mercedes have programmed a sensible gap which allows the car enough time to brake safely in bad conditions... but that is plenty of space to fit in another car or van. I.e. it doesn't work in the real world, where you have to squeeze up or someone jumps in the gap.

No I haven't. The problem with Distronic is that Mercedes have programmed a sensible gap which allows the car enough time to brake safely in bad conditions... but that is plenty of space to fit in another car or van. I.e. it doesn't work in the real world, where you have to squeeze up or someone jumps in the gap.
I don't understand this safe gap thing. Most of the time, the car I'm behind will have a longer stopping distance than me - my car has wider tyres than most, better suspension, performance brakes, etc. So the only gap I need (assuming I can see in front of the car in front) is my reaction time - less than a car's length at anything other than a license-losing speed.

You should be able to get to a distance, turn on the distronic and have it keep that gap.

This makes logical sense BUT there are times when I can see the traffic is jamming on their brakes 250 yards ahead but the bozo in front has hardly reacted and my car is still accelerating to make up the gap.

It is quite dumb compared to a human, it doesn't look far ahead.

It does brake fairly hard, feels like about 70 percent but doesn't seem to stamp on the abs like I sometimes have to.

A passenger has no control. Who picks the speed you travel? Who picks the route? They would benefit some, but cars are usually purchased by drivers and it will take a massive change in mind set before the majority of drivers chose that option.

Your not forward thinking enough.:)

What are most car owners most interested in when they're behind the wheel. Driving?

Not a chance. Every f*cker is more interested in what going on on their phone.

Is using your phone illegal while driving. Yes.

That's the oppurtunity, the change of mindset right there.

I can see the adverts now.........'Double your social-media access time, we take the wheel, you take the touch screen'

Your not forward thinking enough.:)

What are most car owners most interested in when they're behind the wheel. Driving?

Not a chance. Every f*cker is more interested in what going on on their phone.

Is using your phone illegal while driving. Yes.

That's the oppurtunity, the change of mindset right there.

I can see the adverts now.........'Double your social-media access time, we take the wheel, you take the touch screen'

Sh*t how stupid of me not to complete the loop.

People love to be on their phones, connected to the internet while in their cars.

When are people not only wasting valuable internet googling/social media time but are actually breaking the law when doing so. When they're driving.

How can we reclaim this valuable internet time? Do the driving for them.

Who are we? We are Google. We now make cars.

F*ck......that's really all there is behind it.

Back