• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Down White Hart Memory Lane

I remember Cliff scored a diving header against Villa in the cup,it was from about 15 yards and went like a rocket, I use to have a picture of it but got lost in a move.

I remember that, it was the year we beat Burnley in the final ( i think)

The oppo's only chance of stopping him was to lunge from behind to trip him. Bought many a fk on the edge of the box, that.

I hear the flying header is currently on the Red List of endangered species. Some even claim it is already extinct.

Indeed, Jones used to get kicked from piller to post but he always came back for more, tough as nails.

I don't think I will ever forget the sound as I came up the Park Lane stairs for the night game against Leeds in '75. I was 8. With the stands being wooden, you could just hear the roar and rumble of feet stomping on wood and the singing - that view of floodlight night sky you get as you ascend a stairwell into a stadium - electric doesn't even begin to describe it!
SO many memories I really don't know where to carry on...

Apologies if some have read this one before.

My first trip was back in the 90s. A home game v Ipswich in 93/94, just game down on the train never thought I might need a ticket. Luckily in those days you could pay on the gate. The Inter game was obviously a massive highlight in recent times, but my favourite trip to WHL is still Jane and mine's first ever European night at the Lane.
Nov 2nd,2006 v Uefa Cup Group match v Club Bruges
In those days we always tended to drive down on the day/night and not stop over, and used to park at the North Middlesex hospital. Can still remember walking towards the ground down Pretoria Road and Lord knows how many coachloads they brought, but it was at least 53 because I remember them being numbered. Their fans helped to create a superb atmosphere. The fact the Keane and Berbatov helped us to a 3-1 win made it even more memorable, as did the drive home.

Some kind soul decided they would choose that night to carry out some roadworks on the North Circular at the East Finchley tunnel, that added over 1 1/2 hours to the trip home straight away. So by the time we reached Northampton services it was nearly 2am, bearing in my mind I had worked in the morning so had been up since 6 I was starting to feel it, so a few more Red Bulls were needed for the next leg of the drive.
Stafford services next stop just after 3.30am, another red Bull each and I am sat in the massage chair eyes wide open while Jane is giving it full pelt buzzin on the Dance machine. Eventually we get home at 5am, no chance of grabbing a few hours kip because we are so pumped on Red Bull.

Needless to say, I still loved every minute of that evening

Loads of good memories, best of them was standing on lower east near corner of park lane for a home game against Watford (day the west stand opened), in those days when it got near kick-off and all away fans were in they would sometimes open up more space in Park Lane lower so on that day they opened it up, me and my mate (both 13 at the time) ran straight up the steps and I ran head first into the metal barrier, split my head open, blood everywhere. St John's wanted to call an ambulance to take me to hospital but I refused, stayed for the game and witnessed Ricky Villa score his one and only hatrick for us.

Other great memories: the routine, 34 Bus from Barnet, walk down high road, get chips, programme, 95p to get in and Cornish pasty on way home. Absolute heaven from the age of 12 years old with my mates. Best atmosphere, Uefa cup semi and final 1984. Watching Hoddle, Gascoigne, Ardiles live and now trying to explain to people how good they actually were.

Coming over from OZ at Christmas, hoping to get a last game at the lane as won't be back until new stadium open. Fingers Crossed my tickets come through !!

Naturally, I took my kids to Spurs games when they were young and infected them with the virus, though I had stressed they could support who they liked - even Arsenal (my Dad was a Gooner and my first live game was Arsenal vs Fulham) - so long as it was a local team.

Anyway, tickets were about £35 and the little sods spent most of the time looking at the television gantries and stadium than they did the pitch.

I think they enjoyed the unrestrained swearing of those sitting near us the most.

It's the little things ...

My first game at WHL was Teddys debut game for Manchester United, so it must have been in -97. Is my memory playing a trick on me or, but I was seated in the west stand right by the touchline at the 18 yard line, closest to Paxton, and I seem to recall that there was no stand on Paxton, or at least the stand was empty. Can that be so or is my memory completely fudged up?
I also remember having Ginola on my lap that game. Ronny Johnsen gave him a push by the touchline, so Ginola had to jump over the advertising and ended up in my lap :)

Last edited:
Home evening game against Brighton, 28th Dec 1982.
Remember the floodlit pitch, and surprised at how small the pitch looked compared to on the telly.
Stood in the Park Lane
Magical experience as a kid, seeing my heroes so close up.
2-0 win.

My most memorable trip to White Hart Lane was to see Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool, 03 May 1982. This wasn't the first time I had gone, but it was the first time I was allowed to go on my own and it was a Monday night under the lights!.

Goalkeeper Milija Aleksic
Chris Hughton
Paul Miller
Graham Roberts
John Lacy
Gary O'Reilly
Steve Perryman
Garry Brooke
Ian Crook
Steve Archibald
Mark Falco
Sub Chris Jones on for Robbo

vs

Bruce Grobbelaar
Alan Hansen
Mark Lawrenson
Phil Neal
Phil Thompson
Alan Kennedy
Sammy Lee
Ronnie Whelan
Craig Johnston
Kenny Dalglish
Ian Rush
Sub Graeme Souness for Craig Johnston

Stood on the shelf, looking down to my left towards the Liverpool fans. We were cruising, 2 nil up at half time with an early goal from Steve Perryman, banged in from 20 yards with Grobelaar rooted to the spot (I have often wondered about that one since) and one from Stevie Archibald just before the break when he turned in a Falco cross... then my heart was broken as Kenny Dalglish scored two in the second half to leave it at 2 : 2. Liverpool had been on a 12 match unbeaten run, so at least we stopped that! We had loads of players out injured though... Crooks, Hoddle, Galvin, Ardiles, Villa and Clemence... so I think it may have been debuts for Crook and O'Reilly. It was an end to end game, and all the better for having performed under the lights with such a weakened team.

I remember Cliff scored a diving header against Villa in the cup,it was from about 15 yards and went like a rocket, I use to have a picture of it but got lost in a move.

Hope this works - is this the pic?

ok I give up!!

Last edited:
This is probably quite dull and boring for most of you, but writing it down as an ode to White Hart Lane none the less. I love that place with all my heart, and it will be difficult to part from it. I really hope I get the chance to visit one last time this season before we close shop (haven't had a chance to go since 2013, been too long).

1999 - a week after winning against Leicester in the league cup final, I went to London to see my first ever Spurs game at White Hart Lane against Aston Villa. I remember two minutes from time, still 0-0, standing up in frustration (as the only guy standing up in Park Lane at the time), as a quite shy 14 year old Norwegian kid, shouting at Ian Walker who was about to take a goal kick ("Come on Ian, Come on you Spurs"), and in my head he gave just that little more effort. Ball eventually went to Steffen Iversen, whose shot was saved by Mark Bosnich, but Tim Sherwood tapped in the rebound. Amazing. I get goose bumps thinking about that moment when the ball went in and the stadium erupting. It wasn't a particularly important game, but we savoured every win back then. I'll never forget it.

2001 - beating (already crowned) league champions Man UTD 3-1. The famous Willem Korsten brace. None of my mates thought we'd win the match. I remember standing throughout the game battling the fantastic United fans (they really were) with songs. Great atmosphere, great game.

2006 - I went solo to London for the first time to see Dimitar Berbatov's first match for us. He scored in a 2-0 win against Sheffield UTD. I got quite drunk and hung out with some really nice people I met after the game. Spent almost a week in London and had a great time. Feels like it's so long ago.

2007 - just a few games before Jol got the sack. Stayed at Amhurst Lodge and got a lot of crazy stories from the Irish owner who used to be a Tottenham hooligan back in the 70's. We beat Derby 4-0, Darren Bent scored his first for us and Adel Taarabt was amazing. I remember betting with my mate that he'd go on to be a world beater (not so much).

2010 - my first NLD. We hadn't won against scum since 1999. You all know the story. Crazy game. Heurelho Gomes with quite a few amazing saves. Never experienced atmosphere like it at the Lane. Amazing. We got stuck in London due to ash from Iceland, so had to take the ferry to Holland and the train from there. We saw us smash Chelski from a coffeeshop/pub in Amsterdam and went on to qualify for the CL.

All in all I've got some great stats at The Lane. 12 wins, 1 draw, 0 defeats. Hoping that will continue at the new stadium. :)

I remember after the games in the 60's walking towards Edmonton to get on the 127 bus to Camden Town. The bus would be full by the time it got to the stop outside the ground, yet a hush would come over the bus as the music from Sports Report came over somebodies pocket radio and we waited to hear the results then getting a classified newspaper from the stand at Camden High Street to read the reports. Now my son just updates us from his smart phone during the game and watches the goals on the drive home.

Something the supporter today (well my boys) don't really get. I remember when the sports reports on the radio in the afternoon used to get you really excited about seeing a goal on match of the day later in the evening, or even having to wait for the the Big Match on Sunday with Brian Moore for Glen's latest volley! Now it is all so instant.

Haha, yeah, that's right, steeeeed scored two and jenas put us 3-0 up within 15 mins, iirc. :)

Went to that game too, we were amazing that day.

In fact that season 07/08 was one of the most enjoyable I have experienced

Weirdly, that season with had three 4-0 home wins (Derby, Wigan and West Ham) and in each match, the same player scored the opening 2 goals (Mabranque v Derby, Jenas v Wigan, Berbatov v WHU) and Darren Bent gor the 4th each time

Stupid fact of the day...

Went to that game too, we were amazing that day.

In fact that season 07/08 was one of the most enjoyable I have experienced

Weirdly, that season with had three 4-0 home wins (Derby, Wigan and West Ham) and in each match, the same player scored the opening 2 goals (Mabranque v Derby, Jenas v Wigan, Berbatov v WHU) and Darren Bent gor the 4th each time

Stupid fact of the day...
Top trivia Mr Wolf!

Back