• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do you feel the economy is improving or not?

Good to see people are doing OK. (I do worry about what kind of world my children will be living in.)

. It is a generalisation of course, but a whole load of food items seem to have shrunk - at its most basic, most chocolate bars are smaller, and for me don't taste as nice for example. While atthe other end of the consumer scale the housing estates popping up in the SE have miniscule gardens, thin walls and tiny rooms. Choice should confer power, but when everything seems to suffer from similar issues, it is hard not feel that as a consumer I'm being fudgeed over by corporations.

This is a bug bear of mine, I am disgusted with the quality and design of houses in this country.

location isn't fixed though, we hired a kid a few years back from way up north, he'd moved down to London to kip on a mates sofa and try and improve his lot, all he had was a few clothes, some moxy and a **** load of graphic design talent, he has his own agency now

you don't have to work where you grow up, it's probably a far better idea to make sure you don't

Indeed. But not EVERYBODY can move to a new location - which is my point re; creating a reasonable level of housing quality and price for middle income earners. They can't all move to Rotherham because the jobs are not there, and if the jobs were there and market forces only dictated price, you end up again with demand massively outstripping supply and the same problem..... Just a different location.

And that is not good for the longevity of a stable and productive economy. So I do think the economy is in a good state, but this change is needed for mid-long run stability of economic factors.

This pretty much covers it for me @monkeybarry.

I choose to live near where I grew up and I pay a heavy price for it - Chichester house prices. I could live in the West Country and earn 90% of my salary and have a bigger house that costs 60% of mine. Or I could live up north and earn 80% of my current salary and buy a small town for the price of a 3 bed detached around here.

That only works on a small scale. Which is my point.

Indeed. But not EVERYBODY can move to a new location - which is my point re; creating a reasonable level of housing quality and price for middle income earners. They can't all move to Rotherham because the jobs are not there, and if the jobs were there and market forces only dictated price, you end up again with demand massively outstripping supply and the same problem..... Just a different location.

And that is not good for the longevity of a stable and productive economy. So I do think the economy is in a good state, but this change is needed for mid-long run stability of economic factors.

that's the point, you move to where the work is and cut your cloth accordingly, if you want to live in a nicer area, earn more money, which might mean moving on again, it's all about balance, work harder or lower your standards

I don't think housing is nearly as bad as people say it is. The issue is that people want to live in really expensive areas without paying expensive prices.

Claiming the housing market is too expensive is like claims the car market is too expensive. Everyone can afford a car, we just can't all afford the ones everyone wants.

What an economic illiterate! Yeah houses are really cheap in the Shetlands. What a dumb thing to say. Shows that you are completely out of touch with real people, in the real world.

that's the point, you move to where the work is and cut your cloth accordingly, if you want to live in a nicer area, earn more money, which might mean moving on again, it's all about balance, work harder or lower your standards

That's exactly my point, housing prices in the UK (especially the SE) are disproportionate to the incomes of the middle class and therefore restrict access to mid level home ownership and family creation.
These two factors will have a mid-long stagnant (possibly negative) effect on the economy.

Which is what I was saying about Corbyn too - its the British version of Greece and the scales are appropriate to the issue. Greeks (irrespective of views about their lifestyle) wanted huge change, in Britain I think most people recognise we have a stable, if unspectacular, economy and are satisfied with that. But they alsowant a redress of the capitalist system to cater for, and present adequate (not extravagant or handouts) opportunity for those working hard and earning a decent wage to realise the benefits of such effort (middle home ownership, a dog, a kid).
I'm not saying Corbyn is the answer to that, and indeed the question was about the state of the economy, but it is a sign that now we have worked hard to solidify OUR economy, we want that economy (and banks, politicians, housing factors) to deliver for us.

Last edited:
What an economic illiterate! Yeah houses are really cheap in the Shetlands. What a dumb thing to say. Shows that you are completely out of touch with real people, in the real world.
Rather than taking cheap shots, if it's not overly taxing, would you mind explaining why people can't move for jobs/houses?

I agree that if you only earn x amount of money, then your standards have to be realistic. But where I think the housing market is dysfunctional is that for people on low pay, their rents have kept going up and up beyond any wage increases. I think this has happened all over the UK. This has caused more reliance on top-ups like housing benefit. The lack of social housing means less secure tenancies in the private sector, along with higher rents. Then the people who Monkey Barry talks about, having to rent because they can't buy, meaning rental prices get driven up further. At the moment, the market is skewed towards ever increasing rents and the solution, imo, is to build a lot more social housing that provides secure and affordable tenancies. At some point, wages have to be allowed to catch up with the cost of rents.

Such as....

Too many to mention in fairness.

However, take my situation. I'm back working at William Hill. I'd do anything to get out of Tottenham/Waltham Cross despite living here all my life it's a brickhole. Anyway, our dream choice of location is Bournemouth or more directly Christchurch. However, by moving I'd lose London wages so my salary would drop by £6500.00. The private sector rent there, on average, is £650 compared to £800 now. So I'd save £1800 but lose £6500 in salary.

That's my situation and the reason I can't afford to move out of this brickhole.

However, take my situation. I'm back working at William Hill. I'd do anything to get out of Tottenham/Waltham Cross despite living here all my life it's a ****hole. Anyway, our dream choice of location is Bournemouth or more directly Christchurch. However, by moving I'd lose London wages so my salary would drop by £6500.00. The private sector rent there, on average, is £650 compared to £800 now. So I'd save £1800 but lose £6500 in salary.

That's my situation and the reason I can't afford to move out of this ****hole.
So if you need more money move somewhere cheaper. It's really quite simple.

However, take my situation. I'm back working at William Hill. I'd do anything to get out of Tottenham/Waltham Cross despite living here all my life it's a ****hole. Anyway, our dream choice of location is Bournemouth or more directly Christchurch. However, by moving I'd lose London wages so my salary would drop by £6500.00. The private sector rent there, on average, is £650 compared to £800 now. So I'd save £1800 but lose £6500 in salary.

That's my situation and the reason I can't afford to move out of this ****hole.

to force my logic on you (I know, dingdong move), the theory is, yeah you want to get out of Tottenham (who doesn't), and you'd like to go to Bournemouth, but maybe that's not a direct move, maybe you split the difference and move to somewhere nicer than Tottenham but not as nice as Bournemouth, then down the line when you can afford it step up again

not being able to go from reality to dream in one step isn't a symptom of a failing economy

landlords charge as much as they can get away with sure (if I was a private landlord I certainly would), but if they charge more than someone is willing to pay then the house will sit empty

I'm a private renter, just outside London, I have kids and a dog, the rent has barely moved in the last 5 years in this area, I guess that's because there hasn't been an increase in demand here

So if you need more money move somewhere cheaper. It's really quite simple.

If I move somewhere cheaper the salary drops too you understand that yes? With the added expense of travel which is astronomical you're no better off. It's really not as simple as you're suggesting.

If I move somewhere cheaper the salary drops too you understand that yes? With the added expense of travel which is astronomical you're no better off. It's really not as simple as you're suggesting.
Then move somewhere even cheaper. I get that you can't move to Bournemouth, I can't move to Mayfair or buy a G450.

But if I couldn't afford the rent in the South I'd be rapidly learning how to understand northern accents.

Then move somewhere even cheaper. I get that you can't move to Bournemouth, I can't move to Mayfair or buy a G450.

But if I couldn't afford the rent in the South I'd be rapidly learning how to understand northern accents.

I get you might be able to afford a £6500 wage drop if you'd save £6500 on your annual rent/mortgage. It rarely works like that. Very much catch22.

I get you might be able to afford a £6500 wage drop if you'd save £6500 on your annual rent/mortgage. It rarely works like that. Very much catch22.
If it doesn't then congratulations. You've (by intention or luck) found the optimum salary/rent ratio.

I suspect that rent is well over £500 a month cheaper in Sunderland than London though. Hell, there's a £300 a month drop just moving from Chichester to Portsmouth.

This pretty much covers it for me @monkeybarry.

I choose to live near where I grew up and I pay a heavy price for it - Chichester house prices. I could live in the West Country and earn 90% of my salary and have a bigger house that costs 60% of mine. Or I could live up north and earn 80% of my current salary and buy a small town for the price of a 3 bed detached around here.

Or Europe: Portugal, France, better weather, amazing fresh food and houses for the price of garage in London. Literally (old sense of the word). If you have a remote skill like programming you could earn London wages too.

But Scara, isn't it a shame that people grow up without much of a community? Kids benefit from extended family, friends neighbours etc. But with transient populations moving just for a house, a place to live, and people working harder to pay for housing, as a society we suffer - kids growing up without the support found in more stable communities.

The other interesting stat that has economists scratching their heads is the UKs trade balance. Each year the UK looses cash. As a nation we buy more than we sell. Traditionally this is a big issue for economists - the country is effectively losing cash. How can this be sustainable? Well it is more complex, things like foreign property buyers are not accounted for in the trade balance figures. But the essence of the data is worrying: we don't produce a great deal any more and we buy in billions of pounds more worth of goods than we sell.

Last edited:
Back