• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

My dad never gives our players any praise, just got off the phone to him and he was raving about Clint lastnight, so he mustve had a good game

My dad never gives our players any praise, just got off the phone to him and he was raving about Clint lastnight, so he mustve had a good game

Do you go to games with your dad marky? i think it nice when this happens. I think you should go give him a hug and tell him a guy from the internet thinks he did a good job in raising his son to be a fine man and a yid.

Yid armyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Do you go to games with your dad marky? i think it nice when this happens. I think you should go give him a hug and tell him a guy from the internet thinks he did a good job in raising his son to be a fine man and a yid.

Yid armyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Hahhaa he doesnt come as much as he used to, is coming with me 1st Jan, I love going with him though, weve seen some epic games and have some great memories

Demps was put in a difficult situation, most of the time being asked to play a second striker role that doesn't really suit him at Spurs. Actually, I still think he is a better buy to Sigurdsson....now now, I must resist on starting to lament on the alternative ways of spending the Sigurdsson+Lloris combined transfer fee

What's wrong with those 2? I think we did well by signing them. I could understand the Gylfi frustration as he appears to be similar to other players in our squad but Lloris?!

Hahhaa he doesnt come as much as he used to, is coming with me 1st Jan, I love going with him though, weve seen some epic games and have some great memories

I've decided on the back of this, and other history, to buy my dad a ticket to watch a Spurs game for one of his Christmas presents. He helped my decision to support the team and he's a great man and father and I want for few things but to celebrate a victory at White Hart Lane with him would be magical :)

Funny, Dempsey suddenly seems to be playing well since the return of Adebayor from injury. He knows his place in the first 11 is under threat from Adebayor. So, he has no choice but to lift his game to try to keep his place. Shows you how much we need to have good squad players to make the first 11 players perform to their best.

What's wrong with those 2? I think we did well by signing them. I could understand the Gylfi frustration as he appears to be similar to other players in our squad but Lloris?!

Lloris is a fantastic buy, probably the best player ENIC have ever bought, so no complaints about him from me, that's for sure.

Am delighted with Clint too. As for Siggy, I supported that purchase and I can still see him coming good, but even if he doesn't to have got JV Ade Hugo Clint and Moussa in one window looks like fantastic business, at this stage anyway. Time will tell if it still looks like that come May.

I've decided on the back of this, and other history, to buy my dad a ticket to watch a Spurs game for one of his Christmas presents. He helped my decision to support the team and he's a great man and father and I want for few things but to celebrate a victory at White Hart Lane with him would be magical :)

=D>

Sigurdsson is still young and will get better. Can't expect everyone to be an instant success.

I cautiously, and optimistically, agree. This time next year, perhaps he will be the best player in the Prem. Slow adapt perhaps, lot of pressure for sure...

Lloris and Sigurdsson looking individually, they are worthy investment for the future. If Demps was to replace VdV, well, that's understandable and in fact commendable that we could complete the deal in time.

Just to clarify, I am not complaining the purchase of individual player, but the overall transfer handling.

Levy has not sanctioned any 10m+ buy since we took back Keano about 3 seasons ago. When we finally bought someone for over 10m+, we actually ended up with a net transfer surplus this summer. But it is a little strange when from day 1, Levy (I presume) should know the style/players wanted by AVB AND Modric would leave, we still concluded our summer transfers with a Modric-sized hole and only two senior strikers (Demps isn't a striker in its traditional sense), if the reports of the Russian offer size were to be believed, an extra 5m might have tipped the scale in Moutinho negotiation in our favour. Luckily I think Levy and AVB must have some common understanding that immediate results are not part of the expectation.

Well, I am not ITK, so they were all guesstimate, please just treated the above as a grumpy old troll's moaning.

I cautiously, and optimistically, agree. This time next year, perhaps he will be the best player in the Prem. Slow adapt perhaps, lot of pressure for sure...

I think the logic was that we would sign a passing CM to complement Sigurdsson. He thrives in Swansea's imitated tiki-taka system. If according to "my" imagined plan, at the conclusion of the summer transfer window, our midfield would have made up of Bale Dembele Sigurdsson Moutinho Lennon, with Parker, Sandro and VdV etc offering decent back-up. Demps was sort of Plan B, but luckily, things are still progressing nice enough.

Last edited:
Sigurdsson is a good young player who has a lot of potential. He is also starting to show signs of life, similar to Dempsey. I have been impressed by Sigurdsson's cameos coming on as sub. he's looked lively in terms of passing and quick-feet and almost scored a 4th versus Panathinaikos.

I think both Clint and Sig will go on to do well for us. Dempsey is obviously progressing better, as you'd expect as he is in the first-team and he has more experience.

Dembele is so talented that he probably couldn't fail, but his partnership with Sandro in midfield really has clicked from day one. They were sensational together in the first half versus Man Utd, for example.

I agree that the plans AVB had probably involved Moutinho, or at least a midfield playmaker of the same type, but it didn't happen for one reason or another.

I think he will eventually get either Moutinho or a player like that and that is when we will switch to a proper 4-3-3 formation.

biebergrandpa.jpg

I think the logic was that we would sign a passing CM to complement Sigurdsson. He thrives in Swansea's imitated tiki-taka system. If according to "my" imagined plan, at the conclusion of the summer transfer window, our midfield would have made up of Bale Dembele Sigurdsson Moutinho Lennon, with Parker, Sandro and VdV etc offering decent back-up. Demps was sort of Plan B, but luckily, things are still progressing nice enough.

Then I'm half happy that it didn't happen as I believe we need a Sandro in midfield. We need a player who breaks up play and allows his team mates to have the ball.

Jan Mølby said:
LIVERPOOL were right to say sorry to Fulham over the Clint Dempsey saga and hopefully that will draw a line under the episode.

Fulham seem happy with the apology so there’s no need for the Premier League to take things any further.

When players are under contract at other clubs you have to be careful what you say about them.

I’m sure lessons have been learned.

Of course we missed out on Dempsey on deadline day and in hindsight it looks like it may have been a lucky escape.

He hasn’t exactly set the Premier League alight since he joined Tottenham.

:eek:

:lol:

Tottenham Hotspur forward Clint Dempsey keen to make up for lost time

In the playroom at the Acorn Unit at Whipp’s Cross Hospital in east London, Clint Dempsey’s mind easily flicks back from the children he’s just visited to when he was growing up in Nacogdoches, Texas, and to thoughts of his mother, Debbie, who a dedicated nurse, working at the sharp end in an intensive care unit – and to her belief that her son might one day become not a sportsman but a priest.

“I guess I had a big heart. I didn’t know what I wanted to be but she said that when I was real young I wanted to be a priest. It’s one of those things, you don’t always know where it comes from sometimes,” explains Dempsey when asked why she believed his faith, which remains a powerful part of his life, might prove to be a calling.

“I was a mama’s boy … we had a big family, we stuck together. I guess I was a loving kid. Family was important to me when I was growing up so when I see the nurses it makes me think of my mom. I saw the work she put in to try and help people and what greater thing can you say than she did that?”

There is plenty of evidence of Dempsey’s “big heart”, his sense of duty, his pride in “earning” what he has achieved so far in a career that, last summer, took him from Fulham to Tottenham Hotspur for £6 million on transfer deadline day. On Sunday Spurs will face Swansea City at White Hart Lane.

“My parents gave us all a chance to accomplish our goals and I was blessed with that, I was lucky with that and I learnt at a very young age that anything less than my best wasn’t acceptable,” he says. “It pushed me to be better … in the summer I can sit back and smell the roses but the rest of the year I’m working hard to try and take advantage of the opportunity and make up for lost time.

“There’s more that I want to accomplish and my parents know it never stops.”

Dempsey, who is at the hospital to deliver Christmas presents on behalf of the Spurs players, is driven. He talks of “lost time” because his career started relatively late – 21 – and about a “chip on his shoulder” because of a tough background but he also, repeatedly, says he’s thankful of the “opportunity” he received, of the “platform” his parents provided, sacrificing much to give their children a chance.

“They all graduated college,” Dempsey says of his older brother Ryan, younger brother Lance and older sister Crystal. “They’ve all had that platform. I think my parents can hold their heads high knowing they did that.”

There was another sister also, Jennifer, a promising tennis player who died, suddenly, aged 16 from a brain aneurysm. After every match Dempsey plays he points to the sky, dedicating it to Jennifer.

Dempsey would have graduated from college too but football took over. He still might return to “school”, he says, once he has retired.

He says: “It would be good to take a course without the pressure of ‘what am I going to do with my life?’”

It was clearly a question he had anxiously pondered as a child, back in ‘Nac’, a sleepy town in east Texas, where his family lived in a trailer in the backyard of his grandparents’ home.

“There was pressure because you wanted to do something with your life,” he says. “And football was what I loved to do. Scoring a goal – well, I’d scored touchdowns in American football and hit home runs in baseball and they can’t compare. Scoring a goal was the best feeling.”

His family saw he had talent and made the sacrifice. His father, Aubrey, a carpenter, drove him to Dallas, three hours away, for trials – “it was a lottery-ticket moment,” Dempsey says – and he was taken on. The snag was it was costly – the £60 a week on petrol was a stretch on family resources – and cutbacks were necessary. “At the same time my parents saw I was putting the work in. If I was doing the wrong things then it would have been a slap in the face to them,” he said. “But I was blessed.”

He gained a college scholarship – to Furman University in South Carolina – and then after three years launched a career in Major League Soccer, with New England Revolution. But it wasn’t until he played for the United States in the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany that Dempsey had his eyes opened. “Then I saw the real big picture,” he says. “And I’ve always been one to take risks. Otherwise I’d still be in the MLS.”

There were prejudices to overcome also. “It’s been hard coming over and being an American,” he says. “I do think you can’t be as good as the person next to you to play, you have to be better. It’s difficult to prove to people that Americans have qualities other than playing in goal! But I’m a competitor and I want to play against the best out there.”

He joined Fulham, for £2m, in 2007. “Going there and playing under five different managers and learning something from each of them, you learn something from two relegation battles, from finishing seventh, the highest position they have ever finished and from getting to the Europa League Final … from the point at which I found the club to the point at which I left I felt we’d taken it to another level.”

But it was a difficult parting. Aged 29, with one more year left on his contract and having scored 23 goals last season – and been voted the fans’ player of the year for the second successive campaign – it felt it was “now or never”. Liverpool’s interest was strong, but it became an acrimonious negotiation with Fulham, before Spurs swooped. “It was very stressful because of what the situation became,” Dempsey says.

There were even false accusations that he had refused to play for Fulham. “That was difficult to take because I couldn’t say much,” he claims. “I wanted to make a move but if you are going to talk about it too much in the media then who’s going to want a player who does that? I just kept my mouth shut, hoped for the best, kept working hard.

“I said a lot of prayers but I just didn’t know what was going to happen and was waiting until the last minute. I always felt my heart was in the right place during my time at Fulham. Things just kind of worked out the way they did and I wish it hadn’t ended like it did.”

He had to train on his own which meant that when he joined Spurs on Aug 31 he wasn’t fully fit. “It was about making up for lost time again,” he explains. “But I’m feeling more confident now.”

The main goal this season is qualifying for the Champions League. Dempsey will then return to Nacogdoches next summer, to be with his family and, by then, a newborn baby to add to his two other children, with his wife Bethany.

He will camp and fish – his other passion – in Lake ‘Nac’ and be surrounded by those he loves. “It’s the balance of chasing your dreams but also being around your family,” he says. “The moments that matter most are with your family, your friends. They are the realest moments.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9746052/Tottenham-Hotspur-forward-Clint-Dempsey-keen-to-make-up-for-lost-time.html

Back