• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Can we accept now that Dele isn't the midfield fulcrum playmaker that so many wish him to be? He's a good player in a very specific system that we no longer play and he alone isn't anywhere near good enough to fill the creativity gap this side has.

He's a finisher not an instigator.

Can we accept now that Dele isn't the midfield fulcrum playmaker that so many wish him to be? He's a good player in a very specific system that we no longer play and he alone isn't anywhere near good enough to fill the creativity gap this side has.

He's a finisher not an instigator.
whoever said he was? laughable if anyone thinks that

Dele played really well at the weekend
Today under some pressure he was poor
Gave the ball away a lot with simple passes
He is better than thag

Dude I'm forever having this discussion all over the board about Dele qualities. I sometimes wonder if I'm watching a different player. [emoji2379]

I think quite a few see him as something they want him to be and not what he actually is. [emoji2379]

Or the player he was in 2017 rather than what he has been since 2018. As you said, he is a player that did well in a specific system. He needs to adapt his game or we need to sell him it’s quite simple. We have far bigger problems than Alli. There’s at least 7 or 8 players I’d ship out before him.

Or the player he was in 2017 rather than what he has been since 2018. As you said, he is a player that did well in a specific system. He needs to adapt his game or we need to sell him it’s quite simple. We have far bigger problems than Alli. There’s at least 7 or 8 players I’d ship out before him.

System, we have a system?
All I can see is give to Toby deep in his own half to long diagonal balls, or give it to Harry on the half way line to hit worldie passes.
If that's a system then we want to give it up.

System, we have a system?
All I can see is give to Toby deep in his own half to long diagonal balls, or give it to Harry on the half way line to hit worldie passes.
If that's a system then we want to give it up.
That’s why we shouldn’t sell anyone until we have a manager on board
Let him dictate what he wants and needs to suit the systems he wants to play
That could mean dele stays or goes but he decides

That’s why we shouldn’t sell anyone until we have a manager on board
Let him dictate what he wants and needs to suit the systems he wants to play
That could mean dele stays or goes but he decides
Sissoko
Toby
And bale need to go for varying reasons.
But yes the rest new manager needs to decid.

Before Sissoko?

Sissoko is a poor footballer, we need better than him but he has an engine and can run all day. I literally don’t know what Dier, Sanchez and Winks’ strengths are. Dier and Sanchez make stupid mistakes every game without fail even when they are having good games. Fans love Dier because he loves the club and says all the right things like saying he wants his ashes scattered on our pitch but he’s not good enough. We’ve tried him in multiple positions which he hasn’t made any of them his own. Sanchez is poor on the ball and too weak to play in this league.

Dude I'm forever having this discussion all over the board about Dele qualities. I sometimes wonder if I'm watching a different player. [emoji2379]

I think quite a few see him as something they want him to be and not what he actually is. [emoji2379]
word, fans, me included, are quite deluded - that's part of what footy is all about

Alli is best up front winding the oppo up, scoring deft goals and megging constantly - trouble is we need midfield and defenders always wary of him losing the ball in a dangerous area and we are suddenly running backwards. I sometimes can't believe how good the passing is of the oppo when they counter attack us, outside of sheffield or wolves - really sh1te considering we were top in the first 10 games and defending well

word, fans, me included, are quite deluded - that's part of what footy is all about

Alli is best up front winding the oppo up, scoring deft goals and megging constantly - trouble is we need midfield and defenders always wary of him losing the ball in a dangerous area and we are suddenly running backwards. I sometimes can't believe how good the passing is of the oppo when they counter attack us, outside of sheffield or wolves - really sh1te considering we were top in the first 10 games and defending well

I think it comes down to systems and every player knowing their duties from the front on back. Critically, we were a much better side defending from the front, precisely because there is less risk when you press on immediate loss higher up the pitch. Mourinho switched it all, we tried to get good at being a sit-deep-counter-attack side, and truth is, we just cannot sustain that sort of football with the typical squad we have; it isn't us. What we're seeing now is an exercise in trying to play progressive football, but sadly countered by a lack of defensive shape when we lose possession beyond basic coverage. I believe it is called between a rock and a hard place. That's my immediate take on it. Add to that a set of players who look tired, less fit and thoroughly bewildered by the retrograde journey, and we are easily played through by any side with a modicum of pace.

What happened to our pressing game? Why was that dropped? Since we dropped it, our performances have fallen off a cliff. Pressing enabled Dele, it afforded him opportunities on the transition.

What happened to our pressing game? Why was that dropped? Since we dropped it, our performances have fallen off a cliff. Pressing enabled Dele, it afforded him opportunities on the transition.

You're right about pressing playing to his strengths.
But, watching yesterday's game, some of the fundamentals were wrong for him. regardless of team style, repeatedly losing the ball through tricks that don't work or poor passes or turning into the opposition rather than driving into space...I was despairing as I watched unfold a number of times yesterday.

Players got tired/burnt out. 2018 World Cup was the final straw. Poch asked for cycled changes in key positions, it didn't happen. Mourinho came in and flipped the table on the "system"...and here we are.

Back