• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He doesn't really have much of an argument. Poor performances for a while, clearly not impressing Jose and the team is evidently not missing him. Hard to see him stay beyond January. Maybe a loan to buy.

I don’t think that’s fair. I think he’s clearly getting far less opportunities to prove himself than everyone else for some reason. E.g. I think most people agreed he worked hard and played decently against Ludgorets, but since then he’s only had 8 more mins (whereas Bale, who wasn’t great against Ludgorets and was subbed before Dele, has since played 82 and 58 minutes). And in general I don’t think his performances have been any worse than Bale, Moura or Bergwijn - this season or last.

Personally I think Mourinho must have some issue with his training approach, playing style or personality.

Agree there seems a decent chance he’s gone in January.

If he was doing what Jose wants in training (and matches) he would be getting chances. Jose doesn't hate him because of his moustache, he wants Dele to change the way he plays and be less maverick. Dele still wants to go full maverick [insert your own Top Gun pun here].
[Jose feels the needs for speed, but has lost that loving feeling for Dele. Dele seems to be in Cruise control but is now basically Goosed?]

I don’t think that’s fair. I think he’s clearly getting far less opportunities to prove himself than everyone else for some reason. E.g. I think most people agreed he worked hard and played decently against Ludgorets, but since then he’s only had 8 more mins (whereas Bale, who wasn’t great against Ludgorets and was subbed before Dele, has since played 82 and 58 minutes). And in general I don’t think his performances have been any worse than Bale, Moura or Bergwijn - this season or last.

Personally I think Mourinho must have some issue with his training approach, playing style or personality.

I understand your point, but apart from a good spell right after Jose came in, he just hasn’t been good enough often enough.

I thought Bergwijn might follow a similar fate - he looked as though he’d dropped to 5th choice with Son, Bale, Moura and Lamela ahead of him, but suddenly he’s started our biggest matches recently. It seems to me that he’s knuckled down whereas Dele (I am very much only assuming here, no way to know for sure) hasn’t done the same. Don’t put the effort in away from matches, you don’t play. You could say that is Mourinho taking issue with his approach, but the manager’s opinion is the only one that counts.

In genuinely gutted that dele didn’t start yesterday
Clearly we cannot see what’s going on behind the scenes but it just felt odd
We have to trust Jose... we have to trust the process... and we have to recognise that Dele still isn’t kicking off or being negative around things. He is working on his game I assume and working with Jose
We will see things pan out over time

In genuinely gutted that dele didn’t start yesterday
Clearly we cannot see what’s going on behind the scenes but it just felt odd
We have to trust Jose... we have to trust the process... and we have to recognise that Dele still isn’t kicking off or being negative around things. He is working on his game I assume and working with Jose
We will see things pan out over time

Jose has previous in these situations.
Sadly Dele and Wink's days are numbered.
Classic Mourinho.

Agree with this, he's clearly had less opportunity than others to earn his place - at least in terms of game time. And others who have made mistskes or who put in poor performances have been brought back in much quicker. Hauled off v Antwerp at half time despite not playing badly and then not seen again since playing well and contributing against Ludogrets.

I struggle to see there being a training issue what with the previous regimes notoriously tough requirements there - would expect any player here who was a regular before to know the value of hard work on the training field.

Classic Mourinho.

There will always be casualties of a new regime and the evolution of both the quality and style of the squad a manager wants.

Sanchez is now our 5 choice CB, Rodon coming in as an upgrade and performances have not been at the level we need for a while. Gets a run out in Europa by default as Rodon cannot play.
Rose crossed Mourinho early in when challenging his playing time. It’s a sad end to a player who despite the public outbursts has been a good servant to the club. Completely out of the picture and playing for u23s, may be a stand-off to run his contract down rather than take a paycut to leave on a free or Levy wants a fee.

Winks has always been a squad player imo, the arrival of Hojberg Lo Celso and Ndombele leaves him down the pecking order. Still gets Europa minutes and will likely decide a move to a mid table prem team will enhance his chances of playing regularly / getting in the England team. It’s nice to have academy products in the squad but it’s hard to argue that he deserves to be in the first x1 and the move would be a good next step in his evolution as a player.

Gazzaniga didn’t do a lot wrong as a number 2 imo, whether it’s the non HG status that did for him it doesn’t make sense to have him on as a third choice - will likely move on but maybe his wages and the safety net of his experience if Hugo was to pick up a serious injury will mean next season.

Alli from guaranteed Prem starter, to subbed at half time, to out of the Prem squad, to the Europa bench to not getting on in Europa. Regardless of any debate I have he’s surplus to requirements and although he’s kept his counsel it’s hard to see any case for him staying, both for his own career but also from the perspective that he still has a reasonable value as an asset that Levy will see as dwindling if he is not being used in any significant game.

Lamela, Moura, Bale and Bergwijn all seem to be figuring for one starting LWF spot, with Moura and Bergwijn seemingly the backups to Son as RWF.
All have been involved to some degree but feel at least one of them will be dissatisfied with their opportunities come the end of the season.

they are probably players we could cut with no real impact unless we had an injury crisis, in some ways I am glad we have the situation as it means we prioritised strengthening the squad rather than balancing the books. There other players I feel could be upgraded but everyone else is clearly in the first team of first reserve.

Classic Mourinho.

It's how he manages. We knew what we were getting. He's not going to try and shoehorn players in. He's got a vision of how he wants his team to play and he'll pick the players that suit that system and work for him.

Dele has been very professional so far as has Winks. Very impressed that they haven't been whinging and leaking to the press.

I'm gutted for both, particularly Dele who I think has endless potential, but these things happen. No one's really at fault.

Maybe Levy has told Jose that he needs to sell to buy, and Dele is the most sell-able asset that Jose can do without. If it means the team gets stronger, so be it.

It's how he manages. We knew what we were getting. He's not going to try and shoehorn players in. He's got a vision of how he wants his team to play and he'll pick the players that suit that system and work for him.

Dele has been very professional so far as has Winks. Very impressed that they haven't been whinging and leaking to the press.

I'm gutted for both, particularly Dele who I think has endless potential, but these things happen. No one's really at fault.

It's a shame for Dele, but ultimately I care about Spurs. We're top of the league without Dele playing, so I'm happy with the consequences of Mourinho's style.

Some of us did.
Dele will be off and Winks possible also, then Jose........
Circle of life stuff though isn’t it? I’m Dele’s greatest advocate but even I can’t make a case for him starting prem games with how we are playing and the results we are getting (I’d still like him as a potential game changer on the bench, but that would require Lo Celso and Ndombele both starting) Winks is a squad player and him leaving will be to get more pitch time, which will be at a lower level team so not sure how that would me any different under another manager? He benefited from our injury prone centre mids but we have signed three new ones since the beginning of last season so it’s not unreasonable to not pick him.
Jose will go, all managers do. There will be a day I’m sure Klopp will leave Liverpool too, there are too many competitors and not enough patience for long managerial legacies.
These two will be collateral damage but some other players have been revived, it’s the same when any new manager into an organisation that requires change, not just football.

What too many seem to be forgetting is that all players can go through prolonged spells of poor form. However the majority do get back to where they were sooner or later. Who would ever have guessed that Sissoko would eventually become an integral part of a PL table-topping Tottenham side?

Keep the faith!

Maybe Levy has told Jose that he needs to sell to buy, and Dele is the most sell-able asset that Jose can do without. If it means the team gets stronger, so be it.
I do think that he may have been earmarked as funding a centre back. Linked with a loan to PSG again today though, I can only think that’s in the hope he performs at a level that will inflate his value to them as I don’t see his squad status changing next season.
The dilemma for both Dele and Winks is if they hang around and keep their noses clean, there might be opportunities through injuries that provides the necessity for them to play and potentially be part of a trophy winning team, that they may feel they have been a big part of its original evolution.

Circle of life stuff though isn’t it? I’m Dele’s greatest advocate but even I can’t make a case for him starting prem games with how we are playing and the results we are getting (I’d still like him as a potential game changer on the bench, but that would require Lo Celso and Ndombele both starting) Winks is a squad player and him leaving will be to get more pitch time, which will be at a lower level team so not sure how that would me any different under another manager? He benefited from our injury prone centre mids but we have signed three new ones since the beginning of last season so it’s not unreasonable to not pick him.
Jose will go, all managers do. There will be a day I’m sure Klopp will leave Liverpool too, there are too many competitors and not enough patience for long managerial legacies.
These two will be collateral damage but some other players have been revived, it’s the same when any new manager into an organisation that requires change, not just football.
It's the lack of chances in the EL that are confusing - arguably our best attacking player the last game he started and then frozen out after that. Seems to me if there was a genuine desire to see him regain his place in the squad then those are the games you would be being giving him chances in and after the Ludogrets game it's the type of performance that you'd expect us to want to take in to the next game and build upon - 2 more performances like that in the remaining group games and all of sudden he looks like a good option off the bench in the league in more important games or a viable alternative should someone in front of him in the pecking order gets injured/drops their levels - but no, he puts in a good performance (better than any starting attackers performance since in the EL) and then never given a chance to build on it.

Last edited:
Back