• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Benteke is good enough, and i think Villa is a risk because he's getting on. Perfectly reasonable opinions.

If i could choose anyone i would take Lukaku, but that won't happen. Michu would be good, but i think he'll stick at Swansea.

I've not watched that much football this season outside the PL/Champ, CL and La Liga.

Michu over either Benteke or Villa is madness.

Michu over either Benteke or Villa is madness.

Not really. I don't rate Benteke. A number of flukes finishes, is strong and physical, good in the air but limited on the ground.

Whereas Michu has been class, his finishes are class. Plays AM and ST, gets involved a lot in a Swansea side that thrive on a very good style of play.

Villa, getting on a bit, going to take fund away from more long term targets, very stop-gap-esque, been average this season.

Last edited:
Which is why it is average.

A goal every 2.4 games is not average, no matter who you play for. With all things considered (playing a supporting role, coming back from a serious knee injury, rarely given the opportunity to play consecutive games), a goal every 2.4 games is more than respectable.

A goal every 2.4 games is not average, no matter who you play for. With all things considered (playing a supporting role, coming back from a serious knee injury, rarely given the opportunity to play consecutive games), a goal every 2.4 games is more than respectable.

In one of the best sides in the world in which you get boatloads of chances it's less respectable.

Not that much. Barcelona play a very fluid style of football. It's not like they play with orthodox wingers. He doesn't stay on the left, they all rotate and move around.

mate his starting position is usually on the left and starting position does matter. Eto'o sacred brick loads starting centrally for Barca but the goals died down when he started on the left of an attacking three.

Last edited:
Not that much. Barcelona play a very fluid style of football. It's not like they play with orthodox wingers. He doesn't stay on the left, they all rotate and move around.

I don't doubt his ability even at his age, the only thing I doubt is the fact that he's just come back from a serious injury and still doesn't quite look 100%.

I really think they missed Villa whilst he was out. Fabregas hasn't really done it and Sanchez is pony.

In one of the best sides in the world in which you get boatloads of chances it's less respectable.

Expecting more than one player in a squad to have a goal record that is better than 1 in 2 (which i assume is what you expect him to have) is an extremely difficult feat to accomplish, especially when you consider all the other factors i mentioned in my previous post.

Villa, getting on a bit, going to take fund away from more long term targets,very stop-gap-esque, been average this season.

If he can get us into the Champions League then the £10m transfer fee that is being bandied about would be justified. We have been finishing in and around (mostly around) the top 4 for the past few seasons, if Villa can help get us into that top 4 we could then push on and aim for longer term targets. Signing more gambles could end up costing us some of our best players.

I still doubt we'll sign him, but if we did it would make sense on a number of levels. Ideally, i agree, signing younger talent should be the way to go, but if a talent of the level of Villa rears it's head you just can't turn that opportunity down, imo anyway.

That's still only part of the picture though. Since quite a lot of his appearances were as a sub that should be taken into consideration.

According to the Barca site he's played 1238 minutes in the league this season, divide that by his 9 goals and you get 138 minutes per goal. Even assuming that top scorers get subbed that would still be well above a goal every other match assuming he had gotten more starts and fewer sub appearances.

Barca site also has him down as playing 1018 minutes as a starter, scoring 6 goals in that time, averaging 170 minutes per goal. So even though he is scoring more than average when coming on as a sub (normal, tiring defenders etc) he is still scoring more than one goal per game also when starting games for them although the sample size is getting diminishingly small.

And, as already been mentioned, he's played a lot in a wider positions, surely that should also count, just like it does make a difference that his goals have come from one of the best sides in the world.

Not really. I don't rate Benteke. A number of flukes finishes, is strong and physical, good in the air but limited on the ground.

Whereas Michu has been class, his finishes are class. Plays AM and ST, gets involved a lot in a Swansea side that thrive on a very good style of play.

Villa, getting on a bit, going to take fund away from more long term targets, very stop-gap-esque, been average this season.

average players maybe, but very good football. i'd say they add a couple of defenders and maybe a DM and they're on their way to mid table easily.

Villas their 2nd top scorer this season behind arguably the greatest player club football has ever seen.

According to the Barca site he's played 1238 minutes in the league this season, divide that by his 9 goals and you get 138 minutes per goal. Even assuming that top scorers get subbed that would still be well above a goal every other match assuming he had gotten more starts and fewer sub appearances.

Non of the goals were penalties neither, take away the penalties from Falcao then Villa had a better goal per minutes played ratio than Falcao.
He clearly still have it, and although people might say 10m is a lot for a 31 year old striker, what if we sell Defoe for 6-7m? Then we've paid 3-4m to upgrade from Defoe to Villa. Would be a good deal in my opinion. Villa has experience, is a winner, intelligent. Can bring so much to the team.

I've reserved my personal thoughts on Benteke for most of the season but am now convinced he has everything to become the next Drogba. I think in our set-up he would be absolutely superb. As for Villa, well, I think he'd shine here...Michu is good but Benteke is better for me...

We turning up our noses at Spain's top ever goalscorer who, even while having a poor season by his standards, has still done relatively well even when not playing in the central striker position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back