• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Data in football

Hootnow

Jermaine Jenas
http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2014/07/10/germanys-12th-man-at-the-world-cup-big-data/

Germany’s 12th Man at the World Cup: Big Data

As Germany prepares for Sunday’s World Cup final against Argentina, it will have Big Data on its side.

To gain a competitive edge, the team partnered with German software giant SAP AG to create a custom match analysis tool that collects and analyzes massive amounts of player performance data.

The tool, called Match Insights, analyzes video data from on-field cameras capable of capturing thousands of data points per second, including player position and speed. That data then goes into an SAP database that runs analytics and allows coaches to target performance metrics for specific players and give them feedback via their mobile devices.

A focus for the German team this year was speed, said Nicolas Jungkind, SAP’s head of soccer sponsorships. Using Match Insights, the team was able to analyze stats about average possession time and cut it down from 3.4 seconds to about 1.1 seconds, he said. The tool allowed them to identify and visualize the change and show it to coaches, players and scouts. “That then goes into the game philosophy of the German team. What is apparent is the aggressive style Germany plays.”

That style of play was evident Tuesday in Germany’s 7-1 victory over Brazil, which included three goals scored in a span of 179 seconds. “Despite possessing the ball for 52% of Tuesday’s game, Brazil created barely a handful of chances,” the Journal’s Jonathan Clegg wrote. “In contrast, Germany passed the ball at full speed to create holes in the defense and clinically took advantage.”

The tool also allows coaches to determine performance indicators for individual players, which they can then send to teammates’ mobile devices. If a coach wanted to adjust Thomas Mueller’s speed, position or possession time, for example, he could send those stats and a video clip from that day’s game to Mueller’s cellphone. Players can also take a look at their performance data at a setup in the players’ lounge.

The tool is giving the German coaches in Brazil the ability “to crawl through complex video and make it simple for them to know what they need to win,” said Chris Burton, SAP’s group vice president for global sponsorships.

When it comes to positioning on the field, Match Insights can show the team virtual “defensive shadows” that show how much area a player can protect with his own body, Mr. Jungkind said. That can help them visualize and exploit weak links in an opponent’s setup.

Soccer is among the growing list of sports being transformed by Big Data (Moneyball is probably an outdated reference at this point). The use of data and statistics to gain a competitive advantage has grown across a wide range of sports including basketball, tennis, and even, just a little bit, Ultimate Frisbee.

When not watching their own tapes during the World Cup, the German team was studying up on the performance of its competitors. “We also have a lot of qualitative data for the opposition available,” German team general manager Oliver Bierhoff said in an interview with ESPN this week. “Jérôme Boateng asked to look at the way Cristiano Ronaldo moves in the box, to use another example. And before the game against France, we saw that the French were very concentrated in the middle but left spaces on the flanks because their full-backs didn’t push up properly. So we targeted those areas.”

Before it walloped Brazil earlier this week, the German team had spent years working with university students to gather intel on the home team, Reuters reports. Working with sports students at a university in Cologne, they reviewed an extensive dataset that included how Brazil’s players reacted in pressure situations, their preferred routes and how they responded when fouled.

The Match Insights tool is exclusive to the German team right now, but SAP has plans to sell it more broadly in the future. “We are all about supporting our home team right now,” said Mr. Burton. “After this we’ll want to maximize what we think is a credible tool for sport.” There’s no public timeline, he said, but the tool “will become a product I’m sure in Q4.”

What do people think about this? Something that all football clubs should be doing (when it comes onto the market) or an unneeded complication? Should we be looking into it?

It's definitely something we should look at. Dave Brailsford, the former British cycling and now Team Sky director, made the comment that elite performance is about lots of 1% advantages. It doesn't matter what - nutrition, design, training, sleep patterns, etc - they all add up.

One factor that handicaps many players is fatigue during the season, too many games without proper recovery, which leads to slumped form and often injury. Some players can play twice a week, others struggle. It doesn't matter what the the cause is - innate physiology, different amounts of effort (e.g. sprinting) on the field. What matters is detecting it before it leads to obvious form drop or injury. Analysis of physiological and physical performance could be used to detect deteriorating performance and help make good decisions on resting players. People talk about a winter break, but good management of the players could achieve the same and could be better if tailored to the player. I've thought that some classic physiology tests (e.g. respiration and heart rate measurements while exercising on a bike) could be carried out periodically for such assessments (the new training centre might have such facilities), but its possible a big data system like that described above could detect performance changes less invasively.

What do people think about this? Something that all football clubs should be doing (when it comes onto the market) or an unneeded complication? Should we be looking into it?
Obviously, yes yes yes!

We need every edge we can get to compete with the financial doping

When it comes to positioning on the field, Match Insights can show the team virtual “defensive shadows” that show how much area a player can protect with his own body, Mr. Jungkind said. That can help them visualize and exploit weak links in an opponent’s setup.

That was very clear in the final. When he didn't have the ball, Messi was only ever marked by one man, but the two or three nearest other players marked their man on Messi's side and were able to cover very quickly when required.

Interesting.

In the business world i.e. Outside football, innovation and continuing to innovate is key for smaller organisations to remain competitive with larger and well established monopolies.

What's interesting is that a similar approach was applied in baseball and totally disrupted the conventional thinking in relation to what people perceive as individual contributions to winning teams. The movie Moneyball is a simplified true story of how this happened. However it is clear that this the value of way of systematic thinking and analysis has not been proven in football, possibly because it is more complex than baseball in the number of events that take place during a game and how these accumulate into events such as goals.

Nevertheless, innovation in sport and salaries for innovative thinkers is cheap compared to players wages. I would love to hear that THFC have put a team in place with the remit of establishing looking at new ways get more from the team.

Interesting.

In the business world i.e. Outside football, innovation and continuing to innovate is key for smaller organisations to remain competitive with larger and well established monopolies.

What's interesting is that a similar approach was applied in baseball and totally disrupted the conventional thinking in relation to what people perceive as individual contributions to winning teams. The movie Moneyball is a simplified true story of how this happened. However it is clear that this the value of way of systematic thinking and analysis has not been proven in football, possibly because it is more complex than baseball in the number of events that take place during a game and how these accumulate into events such as goals.

Nevertheless, innovation in sport and salaries for innovative thinkers is cheap compared to players wages. I would love to hear that THFC have put a team in place with the remit of establishing looking at new ways get more from the team.
I'd argue that the number of events that can/do happen in football and therefore the increased level of chaos means that taking every edge possible is more important. Although it probably is more difficult to directly link cause and effect too.

I can't remember who's theory it is but I'm sure I've heard Jose talk about it, the current considered wisdom of the football coach isn't about winning the game, it's not even about scoring goals, it's about minimising the likelihood that your opponent will.

I can't remember who's theory it is but I'm sure I've heard Jose talk about it, the current considered wisdom of the football coach isn't about winning the game, it's not even about scoring goals, it's about minimising the likelihood that your opponent will.

Sounds like avb and it bored the fcuk out of me and ended with the team so scared to make mistakes or go up the pitch in case they gave away the ball that we stood in an over crowded middle of the pitch passing the ball sideways and went matches for the first time in my 40 years of going to the lane without even having a shot at the opposition goal.

If that is football then I want no part of it.

Sounds like avb and it bored the fcuk out of me and ended with the team so scared to make mistakes or go up the pitch in case they gave away the ball that we stood in an over crowded middle of the pitch passing the ball sideways and went matches for the first time in my 40 years of going to the lane without even having a shot at the opposition goal.

If that is football then I want no part of it.

So refreshing then, that at the World Cup that many coaches have returned to the theory of scoring more goals than the opposition.

So refreshing then, that at the World Cup that many coaches have returned to the theory of scoring more goals than the opposition.
That's natural when there's a large disparity in quality like the group stages.
When the gap is smaller, as in the knockout stages, teams will (and did) focus on not getting beaten.

good application of data to sports, but its not really new, and SAP did the most to milk this by releasing it after the German team immediately won the competition. nonetheless credit to the german team and its scientific approach to football - moneyball mkii.

Data in football would be awesome.

We could also have Beverly Crusher as team doctor, and Deanna Troi (aka Spurs fan Marina Sirtis) in charge of the psychological welfare of the players.

I'll get me coat.

sounds like a next move up from prozone to me.

Data has been in football a long time.

Didn't anyone see the pictures from our preseason and see the players wearing Heart Rate moniors and such like? This is to help them reach optimum performance athletically.

Back