• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

I'll just file these stories along with all the other crap I see about us, but I do believe Madrid will give us Bale, Modric, Benzema, pay their wages plus £50m and let us beat them in CL this year with a free weekend break in Madrid for all season ticket holders for signing Kane.

Call me a fool if you like, but I'm still inclined to give Rose some leeway. He was being lauded as one of the best two full backs in the league -- the only question was really whether he was better than Kyle Walker! A nailed-on starter for one of the most exciting teams in the league, playing a formation that relies on its full/wing backs. Good times.

Then he gets injured. Is this the biggest injury in his career so far? He watches Ben Davies (who he probably thinks of as a bit of a plodder) come in as we sail through the end of the season (I don't subscribe to the "Spurs have thrown it away again" crap) scoring loads of goals. He trains on his own all summer too. He just wants to play.

This season starts, Davies still doing well in what Rose considers his place. He's frustrated, and rightly so. He's also hurting, mentally and probably physically. He's also a young man, still 27. I know I was a bit of a tit during my 20s, and I'm sure I'm not alone. He's being egged on by his entourage, many of whom may be wastes of space hangers-on just wanting money and reflected glory.

He wants desperately to win the Premier League, having come so close, and sees our competitors splashing the cash. He starts thinking that he's only mortal and has lost his last chance to win it with Spurs. So he mouths off to the press.

Were his comments ill-advised at best and, at worst, plain disrespectful? Yep. Will I turn a blind eye, assuming that Poch has a word before re-integrating Rose into the team? Yep.

That's a very positive take, which is no bad thing.

There is of course an alternative narrative in which Rose sees his mate make a big money move up north, thinks he's outgrown us and agitates in the papers, mistakenly thinking it will lead to a move.

We've done so well without him that my reasons for keeping him are now more to do with tinkling him off than anything else.

Makes sense, seeing as he'll be sold next summer

That's not the gist of the full comments:

“This morning we had a conversation. He’s feeling well, he’s starting again to feel happy about his situation, about sharing with the team more time than before.

“It’s always important for us to talk, create a good atmosphere for everyone to be a part of and feel happy here.

“He’s in that way, to becoming an important part of the team to help himself and help the team. We’re happy with the situation. It’s a completely different situation to the beginning of the season.”

It has emerged this week that Rose is missing from the 2018 Tottenham calendar and Pochettino said: “Yes, he came to see me asking ‘gaffer why am I not in the calendar?’. I said ‘because you were first of all in Central Park in New York doing your recovery, with no time to put the new kit on’.

“I’m sure he will appear in the next few days. Don’t worry. When you are talking about rumours for different players I can say nothing. Of course the players today that are in the squad, no-one is for sale.”

That's not the gist of the full comments:

“This morning we had a conversation. He’s feeling well, he’s starting again to feel happy about his situation, about sharing with the team more time than before.

“It’s always important for us to talk, create a good atmosphere for everyone to be a part of and feel happy here.

“He’s in that way, to becoming an important part of the team to help himself and help the team. We’re happy with the situation. It’s a completely different situation to the beginning of the season.”

It has emerged this week that Rose is missing from the 2018 Tottenham calendar and Pochettino said: “Yes, he came to see me asking ‘gaffer why am I not in the calendar?’. I said ‘because you were first of all in Central Park in New York doing your recovery, with no time to put the new kit on’.

“I’m sure he will appear in the next few days. Don’t worry. When you are talking about rumours for different players I can say nothing. Of course the players today that are in the squad, no-one is for sale.”

As usual Poch is the ultra corporate professional (unlike, say rent-a-quote or Timmeh). Got to love it.

He'll be gone next summer but he needs to play without a cloud hanging over him before then, hence Poch saying what he does...

As usual Poch is the ultra corporate professional (unlike, say rent-a-quote or Timmeh). Got to love it.

He'll be gone next summer but he needs to play without a cloud hanging over him before then, hence Poch saying what he does...
If Rose plays well this season there's no way we'll want to sell him. Fans might carry grudges but it's all business as far as the club management is concerned. Rose has apologised and they've said they want to move on. They might still be furious in private but I don't believe they would sell him for spite. If he plays like he owes us something, acts like a professional again, and does well enough to overshadow his indiscretion - he could easily get back to being valued by the club as much as he was before. It's the fans I worry about though. I'll be cheering when he steps back on the pitch and not hoping he'll fail just so we can elbow him out with a childish feeling of justification. Agree with @FatBloke that it was a big mistake to talk as he did in that interview but we need to look past it now. I don't begrudge him feeling like he does, it was just the way he said it publicly. I hope we can get behind him and make it easier for him to return, and us to succeed. But I hear enough people around me at games slagging off players unfairly that I'm likely to be disappointed.

If Rose plays well this season there's no way we'll want to sell him. Fans might carry grudges but it's all business as far as the club management is concerned. Rose has apologised and they've said they want to move on. They might still be furious in private but I don't believe they would sell him for spite. If he plays like he owes us something, acts like a professional again, and does well enough to overshadow his indiscretion - he could easily get back to being valued by the club as much as he was before. It's the fans I worry about though. I'll be cheering when he steps back on the pitch and not hoping he'll fail just so we can elbow him out with a childish feeling of justification. Agree with @FatBloke that it was a big mistake to talk as he did in that interview but we need to look past it now. I don't begrudge him feeling like he does, it was just the way he said it publicly. I hope we can get behind him and make it easier for him to return, and us to succeed. But I hear enough people around me at games slagging off players unfairly that I'm likely to be disappointed.

walker was playing well and i don't think we wanted to sell him but we did

Walker had good moments, but he was prone to some flaky decision-making that would open us up to scoring chances. He often managed to make up for mistakes with sheer athletic ability. But that can only carry a player for so long and he is approaching a point where that athleticism begins to taper off and betray his mental errors. Aurier may well be a similar player, but he's younger and left us with 28 mil profit to re-invest. And we still had Trippier, who isn't far off what Walker offered. We're well set at right back this season.

Rose strikes me as a similar player, but younger. He's crafty and daring and there's a lot to like in his game. Davies is clearly less athletically gifted, but plays a more dependable, sustainable style and shows plenty of tactical awareness in picking his moments to come forward. His ball delivery and shooting are quite good. If Rose were sold, he'd fetch a good price and leave us with plenty to afford Ryan Sessegnon. He's not as ready as Aurier was to play PL football, but he's not far off. And with the quality centre backs we have, he'd have a great group to work with and develop further. Again, we'll be well set at left back.

All this to say, Rose can chirp all he wants. Spurs hold all the leverage in this situation. He can hardly expect a transfer to a 'dream team' until he properly shows he's restored his game to prior levels, from which we can only benefit.

walker was playing well and i don't think we wanted to sell him but we did
Yep, Walker wanted to go for similar reasons and we got a good price. He didn't make such a big public fuss about how he felt. We got the best of him. That's a different scenario than some have suggested - the club getting rid of Rose because of a grudge. If Rose performs well when he comes back and then wants to go, we'll get another good deal and I wouldn't wring my hands over him leaving, much as I like him as a player. No sense in knocking him and making it hard for him to return to form, and his previous value.

BBC saying there's a small chance he could start. Presume they are just getting carried away, as surely that would be risky even if fit?

BBC saying there's a small chance he could start. Presume they are just getting carried away, as surely that would be risky even if fit?

I wouldn't risk starting him, not today, in a game we might lose anyway. And it wouldn't matter if we lost either. Rushing Rose back and risking another injury would be foolish, IMO.

The again I have no idea how far ahead in his rehab he is, and just how close to match fitness he might be.

I doubt he'll start. However, consider this - If he plays well in a game of this magnitude and stage, it'll be the perfect way to settle him back into the team, and onside with the fans again. Should he get roasted though through lack of fitness (quite likely given the opposition), then some here will see it as fuel to their argument that he just doesn't give a damn anymore.

Back