• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

To be honest I'd much rather have Rose as a back-up LB than Naughton.. able to give us more width seeing as Naughton always has to cut inside. Highly doub the will be okay playing second fiddle though.

That seems to be the problem surely? That he probably won't accept being second choice again?

So the decision will boil down to whether AVB considers him good enough to be 1st choice or whether Rose is willing to not necessarily be 1st choice but a member of the squad who will play a lot of games throughout the season.

Yes, of which he has given about 178 times now. Must be a case of if I say it enough it'll come true syndrome.

I'm pretty sure you have praised Rose multiple times as well. Surely you didn't need to do that?

Or is that a case of if you say it enough it'll come true syndrome?

My GHod, does every single topic need to descend into some kind of argument?

One poster has an opinion on Rose. Another poster has a different opinion.

If we can't accept those views, can we not just move on and not be at each others' throats?

If we can't accept those views, can we not just move on and not be at each others' throats?

Sorry, i was busy pointing out the blatant hypocrisy.

So, about that Danny Rose..

The full-back has been selected for the U21 European Championships with England, but Villas-Boas is not ready to write off Rose's future at White Hart Lane just yet.

He said: "He has had a great season in Sunderland. We are aware of it. He's a player we have to consider.

"There are decisions to be made at this club in the summer.

"We have to look to build, but we are also aware that we have to hold on to good players to improve as a club."

These are not the words of Malcolm X....you're a fraud.

These are not the words of Malcolm X....you're a fraud.

I'm more the post NoI lovey-dovey Malcolm X.

However, if my public demands it of me....

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

And Spursalot, I wasn't referring to you.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

;)

Meh, i shouldn't join in, i'm never entirely innocent. :p

That quote really applies to GG I feel. If we all are just polite and obey the rules, everything should run along nicely.

If someone steps out of line however, you better believe an internet smackdown is coming.

Mods, get it put in the site rules.

First of I haven't seen Rose play this season, so things might have changed.
I see him as a bit too similar to Walker, they feel like the prototypical face up players were they are great when facing forward and have space to run into, but they struggle when in tight spaces were better technical ability is needed.
We need one fullback to be more like BAE (not necessarily him) with good passing and the ability to keep the ball within the team even when put under pressure. Not so much this year, were BAE has had a weak year, but the last few years Benny's distribution has been absolutely crucial to our success. If we want to play possession based fotball we need a player with good technique and passing ability at left back.
Maybe Rose has developed into this player, but I strongly doubt it.

I see him as a bit too similar to Walker, they feel like the prototypical face up players were they are great when facing forward and have space to run into, but they struggle when in tight spaces were better technical ability is needed.
We need one fullback to be more like BAE (not necessarily him) with good passing and the ability to keep the ball within the team even when put under pressure. Not so much this year, were BAE has had a weak year, but the last few years Benny's distribution has been absolutely crucial to our success. If we want to play possession based fotball we need a player with good technique and passing ability at left back.

I agree, every time I've seen him I have had issues with his ability in possession. I know that Sunderland are not exactly Swansea but Rose's average of 36 passes are a far cry from BAE's usual 50-60 or so. We can't afford another non-passer in this team ... as far as I am concerned we are desperate for more 'team' players who get heavily involved in build-up, possession, etc even if they are less good at the flashy tackles and stuff.

It's as though you're desperate for him not be here next season in case you're proven wrong.

I'd love to be proved wrong. Not sure I've ever heard you say those words tbh.

He isn't good enough for THFC. My opinion only lets wait and see.

I'm not sure how true that is.

You talk of needing a good passer at left back and how it has been crucial in recent years, however during those years we played almost strictly a central 2 in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. Moving to a 4-3-3 would do a few things in relation to Rose. Firstly it would allow the extra midfielder (Sandro) to drop deep into the defence, allowing the central defenders to play wider (both Verts and Kaboul have played full-back on their respective sides). At the other end of the pitch, with 1 less player in the centre, the wide players have more of a duty to get close to the central striker, both by staying high up the pitch (also pinning back the opposing full-back), and cutting inside for efforts on goal (this also would suit Bale).

So, in the opposition half there would be more space for the full-backs to attack due to a) the higher positioning of the wingers and b) them cutting inside, which you admitted suits the playing style of Walker and Rose. Meanwhile while one full-back raids, the other can retreat and as Sandro drops into CB, one CB becomes a full-back and the back 4 can be maintained.

While this formation is more suited to the full-backs' ability to run into space, it alone would not account for their lack of composure/creativity in possession (although Walker has produced the occasional sublime pass this season). However, with the signing of a creative midfielder, the simple presence of a third man in CM and the increased central responsibility of the wingers we would not need a particularly great passer at LB. Often BAE would go straight to Adebayor, but in such a system the LCM/CDM would take creative responsibility from the LB and the WF could drop into more central spaces between the lines, offering shorter passing options than Adebayor (requiring less passing precision/range, a point compounded by the full-backs' higher positioning).

Also part of the reason BAE's passing was more crucial in past seasons than 12/13 was because Bale played at LM and was one of our most lethal threats along with Modric who played LCM, so this was the passing hub of our team in deep areas. The trio dovetailed nicely, but now both the squad and Bale are moving away from the sort of system attuned to BAE's skillset. Bale is moving higher up the pitch, and following this summer I believe our squad will be more suited to a full-back providing a direct attacking threat who can overlap and hit the byline (a la Walker) rather than a slick passer.

However, it might be safe to have one of each as an option, especially to see out tight games with possession. In an ideal world we would sign ourselves a young Jordi Alba, keep BAE and Rose as back-up and sell Naughton. However LB is probably 4th on the list of priorities this summer behind ST, WF and CM. I could live with BAE, Rose and Naughton as our left back options next year if we got good players in the other positions. Give Rose the chance to fight it out for a first team place in a system that suits him. It would be nice to replace Naughton with another young, more attacking, left footed LB and use him strictly as a right-back if we had the money (also then hopefully we wouldn't be forced to play Verts at LB).

Danny Rose, who spent last season on loan at Sunderland, will be required at Tottenham when the season begins.

"Danny has had an excellent season. He's one of the players that we all want for our future," Villas-Boas said.

"It was one of those occasions where it's all worked out extremely well for him and he will definitely be part of our squad this season.

"Credit to him for making it work. This year he'll want to be involved with Tottenham and hopefully he'll have a big future ahead of him."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/23/gareth-bale-tottenham-villas-boas

Has someone taught him how to defend while out on loan? He's always been quite good pushing forward but a disaster waiting to happen in defence. I can't believe all that much has changed.

I'd love to be proved wrong. Not sure I've ever heard you say those words tbh.

He isn't good enough for THFC. My opinion only lets wait and see.

Yep. He looks as though he's improved, but he's not as good as Ekotto (even though he didn't have the best of season's). Maybe good enough as back up.

Has someone taught him how to defend while out on loan? He's always been quite good pushing forward but a disaster waiting to happen in defence. I can't believe all that much has changed.

I would be surprised if he has, His defensive reading of the game is poor and i would rather we stuck with Benny.

Back