• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

TBF awe defended very well yesterday and kept Madrid to mainly speculative efforts

I wound always say that’s an effect of having better defenders playing

TBF, it was a pre season game - so what can we really judge?

I certainly didnt think Rose was any kind of stand out player. Though its very rare that I do. I think he is decent defensively, disappointing offensively and bizarrely rated much better than he actually is.

Passing is average at best. Movement is positive but he does little with it. No real incision up front to speak of. Defensive positioning ok.
Can only think you missed his two excellent crosses that could easily have lead to a goal? One resulted in Navas having to make a desperate diving save to his left to prevent an og, the second to a header by the back stick from Jan that as a result of pressure from Kroos ended up looping over the bar.

He also put over a couple of excellent long balls from deep into the box, both of which also spelt danger for RM but were ultimately cleared.

Overall I thought his passing and movement going forward was impressive. His frequent runs hugging the left touchline consistently provided an extra option for Lamela and Eriksen in support of our attacks.

If I have a criticism it's that he did seem to stand off his opponent at the back a little more than usual.

Yes it was only a friendly but his typically feisty tackling was much less in evidence than usual. Might that have been him protecting himself against risk of injury ahead of a lucrative move before the window closes?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

A couple of good crosses, compared to his usual poor quality. Not something Ill be getting excited about.

If after 12 years he proves to have cracked it then Ill be delighted, but one swallow doesnt make a summer...

A couple of good crosses, compared to his usual poor quality. Not something Ill be getting excited about.

If after 12 years he proves to have cracked it then Ill be delighted, but one swallow doesnt make a summer...
Ah. Assumed you were referring to his performance vs RM, no? He's certainly no Naymar going forward but four quality crosses in 45 mins is not bad going huh?.

Speaking more in the general, to be honest. As I said, very little to really be judged in a pre season game.

I think he is categorically pretty poor going forward, despite the idea he is somehow an attacking full back.

Much like Walker he offers fantastic attacking support, always willing to take on the opposition FB and very strong and capable of beating them with the ball from a standing start. His end product is how we very poor, in all the years starting for us you will struggle to find a cross or a pass cleanly and accurately into a striker that we scored from.

Now I actually defenders who can defend first so I don't have a problem with this, but let's not pretend he has good end product in the final third.

For buying players it is. The market for any player starting on their decline has gone through the floor

I am surprised at how quickly it has dropped. We get Kane on one more contract and he will basically spend his career here.

Being a bit of a stooge with money I am quite impressed at the belated common sense when it comes to money in football, well not all areas but the not giving older players long contracts. Think it started with Chelsea actually, a small way in which Roman decided to try and move them towards a sustainable model.

It's pretty terrible if you (like many of a modern mindset do) rate wide players more highly the lower proportion crosses make up of their total passes.

See Box Cross % here for details (note the fact that the scale is inverse):
https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/new-data-new-statsbomb-radars/
Ooh flattered you think I have a modern mindset. Given my first trip to WHL was back in 1953! :D

For sure Rose is not generally among the most dangerous wide players going forward, nevertheless I do think we'll struggle to improve on him all round if he goes. He's still in my book among the top defenders in the PL whilst going forward he's mostly decent enough.

Put it like this, we'll be fortunate to bring in someone who's at least a match for him in defence whilst also significantly better in attack.

But you never know you're luck.

Back