• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

I read everything you say with interest, as always. Just trying to go one level deeper here to understand what specifically the negative consequences will be?

Is it that further public scrutiny may be push him further to the edge? In wish case I don’t think I agree. Attitudes in this country and more generally have come a long way on mental health. The response Aaron Lennon got was fantastic. Clarke Carlisle has come out in support of Rose. Prince William has commended him for speaking out. And frankly, Rose, whether he’s in a healthy state or otherwise, strikes me as a character that is happiest speaking his mind. Maybe it’s been fantastic for him to be able to get this off of his chest, and at the same time have him feel like he’s raising awareness for others too.

I can see that he’s somewhat sensitive to criticism. The idea that Spurs fans gave him stick which he’s never forgiven us for is something I find quite laughable...he got somewhere near as much abuse as other spacegoats have even when he was performing as an average player, and as soon as he started performing to his fullest potential his name got sung with regularity. So I can see why you say scrutiny may not be helpful for him. But in this case, with attitudes shifting on mental health, and himself feeling like he has been heard (which is often what people with mental suffering want to help them feel better - to be understood) I don’t think anyone bar Rose and the people responsible for him are in a position to tell him what is right and wrong. Southgate seems to love him, and I’m not sure he’s feeling as negatively towards his interview as you are for example. I may be wrong, but most of the football world seems to think it’s another important step in the changing attitudes around mental health.

Let us both hope you are right. I would certainly be delighted to be proven wrong in the long-term. For the record, my concerns for him are multiple and do not simply revolve one or two points. I felt that was clear enough.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

As someone married to a therapist I can tell you that coming off anti-depression medication takes a long time and is really hard. Many people - even those on anti-depressant meds for a short time - have a tough time tapering off and suffer from many symptoms that mimic depression. It’s not like coming off anti-biotics and frequently requires intensive therapy and lots of hard work looking at yourself, your life, your patterns of behaviour and other challenging issues. Throw in the grief that Rose has endured, his injuries and the fact that lots of this plays out in public and it’s not a simple equation.

We all respond to these things differently. Some on here seem understanding and empathetic, others think he should be further publicly shamed to deter others from being fragile humans. The bottom line is that we know just about fcuk all about Danny Rose the man (some don’t care at all about Danny Rose the man) so we can’t really judge.

What we all want is what’s best for Tottenham. Hopefully that will align with what’s best for Rose.

Absolutely agree. Depression is depression is depression. It does not matter what you earn, who you are or what you're like. It's just depression and it's an illness. Brilliant of him to talk about it and hope he recovers well. Anything else is just annoying, ignorant flimflam.

The first part of your answer contradicts itself. You clearly still have an agenda with regards to Poch and the perceived "over-protection" he has received from the likes of me (which of course is rubbish, but there we go, perceptions and all). Your next comment about Rose being an "easy target" further conforms you either don't -or don't want to- understand the points I am making.

Your final paragraph tells me you are thinking about Danny Rose the footballer. Whilst I certainly understand that, it is important you know that my observations are on Danny Rose, the professional athlete who is depressed/suffers from depression. Again, no worries disagreeing, I just cannot be sure you ever understood the points I've been making.
I dont have any agenda against Poch although yes I do find he is somewhat immune from criticism with you but this isnt the thread for that. Rose has upset many with his previous comments and therefore anything he comes out in the media with is overly scrutinised, like I say if Poch had said the exact same things he wouldnt of had the reaction on here that Rose has got - but Poch is just an example, it applies to most of the other players aswell. Rose hasnt even said anything out of turn about Spurs, I dont know why some are getting so precious about lack of love for Spurs - I dont get why you say he was ill advised, he hasnt said anything wrong and if in his head it was the time for him to talk out then he doesnt need any advice from anyone. If there really was some anti Spurs slant to his comments the media would have been all over it....

As someone married to a therapist I can tell you that coming off anti-depression medication takes a long time and is really hard. Many people - even those on anti-depressant meds for a short time - have a tough time tapering off and suffer from many symptoms that mimic depression. It’s not like coming off anti-biotics and frequently requires intensive therapy and lots of hard work looking at yourself, your life, your patterns of behaviour and other challenging issues. Throw in the grief that Rose has endured, his injuries and the fact that lots of this plays out in public and it’s not a simple equation.

We all respond to these things differently. Some on here seem understanding and empathetic, others think he should be further publicly shamed to deter others from being fragile humans. The bottom line is that we know just about fcuk all about Danny Rose the man (some don’t care at all about Danny Rose the man) so we can’t really judge.

What we all want is what’s best for Tottenham. Hopefully that will align with what’s best for Rose.
Exactly. WE cant judge. He decided now is the time for him to open up about it, he has said he is off the medication and is feeling better about himself so thats good enough for me....

Thought he played well last night...
He did, I dont want him sold and I dont think he will be. Start a fresh after the WC and knuckle down after hopefully a good tournament, and he will be no.1 LB again. As much as I love Davies, we miss his pace drive and power down the flank even more so since Walker left. Would be great to see him playing consistently again....

He did, I dont want him sold and I dont think he will be. Start a fresh after the WC and knuckle down after hopefully a good tournament, and he will be no.1 LB again. As much as I love Davies, we miss his pace drive and power down the flank even more so since Walker left. Would be great to see him playing consistently again....

Spot on.

Whilst I have every sympathy for him in what he has gone through that does not mean I fully trust his motives in going to the media about his depression. Sadly, as Scara says, his effusiveness about being with England is in stark contrast to the deafening silence about his time at Tottenham.

But having been criticised previously for spouting off to the press last year he will have chosen his words much more carefully this time round, which is all the more reason to feel dismayed that he has not managed to say one good word about the club.

My gut feeling therefore is he has already well and truly burnt his bridges with Spurs and is now trying to find the right code for 'Hey, I'm a celebrity so when the fudge is someone going to come and get me out of here?'
Thought he played well last night...
Yep, he looked well on the way back to his brilliant best. Let's hope he can stay at that level of form during the WC if only so that Levy can extract the maximum compensation from his inevitable transfer this summer.

If he wants to go fine and I like with Toby I have no problems.
As for of what he said, he has always spoke his mind and I doubt he will ever change.
To be honest I find it quite refreshing. I don’t alway like what he saying but that’s life.
Something a little plain speaking doesn’t go amiss.

what I can't accept is him being a clam towards his teammates and the club.

He isn't. You have a history of being very precious about these sorts of things, like many Liverpool fans. Any utterance against Spurs and you go in studs-up full-bore 400% SMASH-the-knee take-no-prisoners HE-INSULTED-SPURS!!!.

Unless you're just trying to mimic the TalkSport / Piers Morgan approach to getting a debate stirred up?

He was just talking honestly, not hiding or trying to give out signals and play some Machiavellian game, he isn't capable of that.

Well if he wants a transfer then putting out that he has mental issues might not have been smart move on his part.

If he feels this public admission helps him cope with his problems then fair enough, who are we to judge. But beyond that I can't see how this will help him on any other front. In fact he is putting himself up as a target again for the social media dwelling pond life.

Well if he wants a transfer then putting out that he has mental issues might not have been smart move on his part.

If he feels this public admission helps him cope with his problems then fair enough, who are we to judge. But beyond that I can't see how this will help him on any other front. In fact he is putting himself up as a target again for the social media dwelling pond life.

He maybe thinks there are more important things than football.
Maybe he doesn't give a monkeys what "social media dwelling pond life" think or say?
I say well done Danny!

He isn't. You have a history of being very precious about these sorts of things, like many Liverpool fans. Any utterance against Spurs and you go in studs-up full-bore 400% SMASH-the-knee take-no-prisoners HE-INSULTED-SPURS!!!.

Unless you're just trying to mimic the TalkSport / Piers Morgan approach to getting a debate stirred up?

He was just talking honestly, not hiding or trying to give out signals and play some Machiavellian game, he isn't capable of that.
How did you take his comment about having to Google our signings? I'd take that as a direct insult to his teammates. I'm not offended by that, I just believe that there's no room for a person like that in a harmonious team.

How did you take his comment about having to Google our signings? I'd take that as a direct insult to his teammates. I'm not offended by that, I just believe that there's no room for a person like that in a harmonious team.
I also had to Google them, I thought he was just being honest and saying that he wants Spurs to sign well-known players so we can move on.
Of course he "should" be better trained in PR... so should I... I have a gift for blurting out the honest truth, rather than being diplomatic, which can annoy colleagues, and paradoxically stems from my introverted nature, but it gets the truth out there and they all recognise my worth since I am the best human in the company, obvs.

I also had to Google them, I thought he was just being honest and saying that he wants Spurs to sign well-known players so we can move on.
Of course he "should" be better trained in PR... so should I... I have a gift for blurting out the honest truth, rather than being diplomatic, which can annoy colleagues, and paradoxically stems from my introverted nature, but it gets the truth out there and they all recognise my worth since I am the best human in the company, obvs.
What if you were second best in your role and there was only space for one at a time?

A-ha, so it comes down to whether he is better than Ben Davies. I see. Maybe it is a Yorkshire thing, call a spade a spade and all that

A-ha, so it comes down to whether he is better than Ben Davies. I see. Maybe it is a Yorkshire thing, call a spade a spade and all that
Not at all, I don't think we should accept any player behaving like that. I was just suggesting that if there were a suitable alternative, people might not be so accepting of yours!

I'm also very short on willingness to dress up what I say in order to avoid offence. I avoid situations like Rose's by simply not speaking poorly of the company or people with whom I work without telling them how I feel directly.

Not at all, I don't think we should accept any player behaving like that. I was just suggesting that if there were a suitable alternative, people might not be so accepting of yours!

I'm also very short on willingness to dress up what I say in order to avoid offence. I avoid situations like Rose's by simply not speaking poorly of the company or people with whom I work without telling them how I feel directly.
Are you talking about his behavior prior to last season or the recent interview? I still fail to see what he has done wrong in the recent interview or where he has disrespected Spurs or his team mates?

Back