• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Ings - Burnley's Number 10

Well, that article does say Nuno wants to switch to two men up front. I wonder if he's really been able to make that call so early in pre-season without a number of the squad there.
If Ings can be bought then we know we are getting someone who can score in the PL, won't add to the non-home grown quota, and won't cost the earth.
It also means we can slightly defer any mega-money signing up front for a bit longer giving time to see if Kane will stay beyond this season and also for the stadium finances to start chugging into gear and showing us what our capabilities really are.

Lazy reporting

- If we play two up front, isn't that Son? or is it two +Son?
- Any striker coming in is really a rotation for Kane

I'd like to say a backup striker that could rotate with either Kane or Son and a manager willing to pull one of them off each game to manage the mileage
Neither of them can play 60 games a season. You need rotation, and preferably rotation that gives you different options, while not sacrificing quality. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Neither of them can play 60 games a season. You need rotation, and preferably rotation that gives you different options, while not sacrificing quality. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Because we don't rotate? Kane/Son pretty much play every fudging game, 90 minutes if fit unless it's league 4 or lower opposition.

No manager has done it.

Because we don't rotate? Kane/Son pretty much play every fudging game, 90 minutes if fit unless it's league 4 or lower opposition.

No manager has done it.
And if we had another quality option, that would not be the case.
Capiche?

And if we had another quality option, that would not be the case.
Capiche?

No, mate, I don't, not because I don't understand the idea, but because no manager we have actually does it.

Llorente & Vinicius were two perfect examples, different options/styles that were both criminally underused.

The issue is probably in your first statement, i.e. "without sacrificing quality", unless we buy Lewandowski, every striker we rotate with Kane will be a sacrifice of quality. The gap between Ings and Kane is significant, can it work? = sure, I just haven't seen a Spurs team really even try (again, I would have built a partnership last season around Dele & Vini to rotate in).

No manager has done it.

Maybe that is why they are burnt out and go through dips

It is a pretty stupid tactic.

Maybe that is why they are burnt out and go through dips

It is a pretty stupid tactic.

Not disagreeing mate, like I tried to tell @Kandi1977 it's not me, it's how the club/managers have executed.

I genuinely don't see the point of how we manage backup strikers, they fail almost always because
- We don't change our style to accommodate them or their strengths
- We don't really play them other than vs. sub par opposition in early rounds of lesser cups or when injury happens
- To your point, we don't leverage them to give Son/Kane even 10-15 minutes.

Like I said, if it was up to me last season
- I'd have played Vini/Dele (thought there was something there with a guy able to hold up play, do knock downs and Dele's run beyond game) in cups
- Any game we were 2-0+ up and controlling, swap in Vini for one of Kane/Son (so he gets game time and learns to play with each)
- We should have also built a system for supporting Vini (he was an in the box poacher)

so yes, I think based on historically evidence expecting anyone to come in and suddenly be playing regularly/rotating is not going to happen, hence the reporting is off the mark.

ok, but back to my original answer, is that 2 +Son or is that Kane/Son or Kane/backup?

If he does, and there's sufficient time on the training ground to work on it. I'd like to see the chance of playing Kane & backup in the important games (rather than having to rely on Kane & Son), maybe back-up & Son for cup/Europe matches.
Don't know about 2 + Son in terms of what that would mean for team shape and balance.
BUt, if it were Ings, he can play well up front, Kane can drop deeper and central as we know, and Son would operate more as cutting in from left flank. So it then comes down to who else do we put in the team to make that a reasonable proposition.

If he does, and there's sufficient time on the training ground to work on it. I'd like to see the chance of playing Kane & backup in the important games (rather than having to rely on Kane & Son), maybe back-up & Son for cup/Europe matches.
Don't know about 2 + Son in terms of what that would mean for team shape and balance.
BUt, if it were Ings, he can play well up front, Kane can drop deeper and central as we know, and Son would operate more as cutting in from left flank. So it then comes down to who else do we put in the team to make that a reasonable proposition.

See that's why it gets complicated

2+ Son is effectively 3 up front = so limits us to 4-3-3?
Son was 22 goals & 17 assists last season, so rotation for rotation sake is a risk.

We have a lot of attacking options (if not strikers) but the balance and shape is not there, another striker may or may not help.

See that's why it gets complicated

2+ Son is effectively 3 up front = so limits us to 4-3-3?
Son was 22 goals & 17 assists last season, so rotation for rotation sake is a risk.

We have a lot of attacking options (if not strikers) but the balance and shape is not there, another striker may or may not help.
I really don't understand why you are so opposed to having more quality players in the squad.

I really don't understand why you are so opposed to having more quality players in the squad.

I'm not, I simply rubbished the idea that we were suddenly going for Ings because we were going to play two at top and rotate our strikers (we fudging don't)

If we could convince Lewandowski to come and sit on the bench, I'm all for it.

I'm not, I simply rubbished the idea that we were suddenly going for Ings because we were going to play two at top and rotate our strikers (we fudging don't)

If we could convince Lewandowski to come and sit on the bench, I'm all for it.
OK. Guess you've discussed this with Nuno then.

Back