• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

The point about the warmth I get, but not CL.

The chance to compete again at the highest available level? You don't get that as ambitious or desirable?

By that pish poor attempt at a theory why did Pele bother with the '66 or '70 World Cup? He'd played it before and even won it.

Why would Cambiasso want to play EPL again (with a mid-table possibly relegation threatened team by some posts on here)? He'd played it just last year!!

You're saying he would chose Olympiakos ahead of us? No way.
Why not? Earlier in the thread you insisted that Spurs "don't have a squad" that can compete in even two competitions (let alone four). If you really believe that, then why the hell would a player like Cambiasso want to come to the club?

On the one hand you're saying "Spurs have an awful squad". On the other you're claiming to be surprised that a player doesn't want to join (our awful squad)?

To me that doesn't add up, but we all see things differently I suppose.

:confused:what?

player power is dead and clubs wont sell? So why did we sell Bale to Real. Why didnt Levy put his foot down and say give us one more year Gareth. No he thought he could be clever and get a world record fee and buy half a new team with the money. That was a great decision:rolleyes:

Poch didnt want Berahino that much? So levy was offering a 25 mill package to West Brom in the last hours of deadline day for a player the manager wasnt even that keen on??:rolleyes:

rightio

His point about player power being dead is on the basis that such rich clubs as WBA and Everton have resisted bids for their best players. The time now v the time when we sold Bale and Modric is patently different for points you have made in the past i.e. increased tv money.

Poch obviously wanted Berahino. There is no doubt. But not at any cost, therein lies the difference.

I have been away for a few days so have only just had a chance to read the Levy statement.
Very nicely crafted PR document, the type of which is written only when the maker perceives there to be a problem. No-one wakes up and thinks 'I'd better make a statement to explain my great decisions'.
I especially like the way it's drafted on the basis of 'Mauricio and I think…'.

No surprise to see the stadium being referred to. As I've said before, the stadium will certainly put us on the map as the Europa League team with the best stadium. His suggestion that the stadium is "the one thing" that can take a club to the Champions League (i take it that is what he means by "the next level of competitiveness") is patently nonsense. I don't know another club that have gone from non-CL to CL simply off the back moving to a shiny new stadium. I do though know of many teams that have become perennial CL teams by spending cash on players.

As for "we never make anything public" - I have a memory of Levy talking to the press (was it about Modric or Bale or both??) in a similar way to that in which the WBA Chairman has spoken about Berahino - 'we won't sell at any price, the player needs to get his head down, etc'.

All in all, a cleverly drafted statement. Some will lap it up. Others won't.

Nice. All I can say is the teams that I have seen make it into the Champions League are the rich ones. Funnily enough the top 4 rich clubs are the ones that have finished in the top 4 most consistently. Who was the last team to break into the top 4 consistently. Emirates Marketing Project. Who was the club that broke into the top 4 consistently before that? Chelsea. Do you see a common factor there?

So, what do we need to do to consistently break into the top 4? Get more money!!! How are we going to do that in the absence of a billionaire benefactor that doesn't mind spending the sums of money that Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project have when TV money is split equally and Sponsorship follows the successful clubs? That's right a stadium that will bring in greater gate receipts, greater corporate boxes, NFL income and extra events that come from having a stadium venue in London.

As for needing to make a statement, I am sure that he didn't want to make a statement. So in the face of huge press coverage coming from WBA and Peace about the transfer situation where every pundit and dog was criticising Spurs, where even the THST (the macarons that they are) also chip in with a few barbs, he thinks maybe, just maybe, he should set the record straight whilst sticking true to his principles. So he makes a statement. And yes, of course it is a PR document, because there was a PR issue to address.

Never making anything public. Bale and Modric were our best players at the time. It stands to reason therefore that he would make clear to fans as to what is going on. Since when has he gone public about a multiple bids coming in? When has he come out and said that another chairman has acted badly. Has he come out and commented on Soldado's bids? Has he come out and talked about receiving any interest for Kane?

Seriously, if you want to criticise Levy for anything stick to things that are justified. Like Jol's departure, for one.

I'm a spurs fan and I'd rather play for olympiakos, North London or Greece, no brainer, especially in the current financial climate, I could buy my own island

So, what do we need to do to consistently break into the top 4? Get more money!!! How are we going to do that in the absence of a billionaire benefactor that doesn't mind spending the sums of money that Chel53a and Emirates Marketing Project have when TV money is split equally and Sponsorship follows the successful clubs? That's right a stadium that will bring in greater gate receipts, greater corporate boxes, NFL income and extra events that come from having a stadium venue in London.

You seriously think that the increased revenues from a stadium will be such as to result in an increase to our spending on players to the extent where we will suddenly become regular top 4 challengers?

And you're "sure he didn't want to make a statement"??? Levy is probably the most well known Chairman in the Premier League, in no small part because he appears to like making such statements and because his methods seem to rub other chairmen up the wrong way. He didn't have to make a statement. Few if any of the other chairmen did. Levy did it because he wanted to.

You seriously think that the increased revenues from a stadium will be such as to result in an increase to our spending on players to the extent where we will suddenly become regular top 4 challengers?

And you're "sure he didn't want to make a statement"??? Levy is probably the most well known Chairman in the Premier League, in no small part because he appears to like making such statements and because his methods seem to rub other chairmen up the wrong way. He didn't have to make a statement. Few if any of the other chairmen did. Levy did it because he wanted to.

No it won't close the gap financially completely. But we'll be a darn site closer! 35k to 61k is a massive difference. Add in the corporate and the NFL and not to mention concerts etc... and that is a huge sum of money. To not try would be a lack of ambition. Put it this way, on a 35k stadium we've managed to consistently finish 4,5 or 6th. If we double our stadium revenue, we can sustainably buy better players. With those better players, is it too much to argue that we would be stronger? Whether that is good enough to get top 4 depends on a number of factors, but at least we will be better than we are now.

Am I sure he didn't want to make the statement. OF course not. I don't know him. I base it on the fact that of all the chairmen in the league, he's probably the quietest in terms of giving interview, being on tv screens or giving soundbites. He's well known, but not because he's plastering himself all over the media like the dildo brothers to name but one.

Few of the other chairmen made comments? So this transfer window I think we have had comments from WBA chairman, Liverpool chairman, West Ham owners and vice chairwoman just off the top of my head. As i said, he made this statement because of huge comment on the WBA fiasco, THST stupidity and the some of the club's own fans demanding answers. Which other club's had that and therefore needed to respond. I don't know how you can possibly argue that he is well known on the back of him courting responsibility which I think is what you are insinuating.

It seems like Levy has got a good excuse not to buy anymore players from now on : the finance of the new stadium ! Remember, how Arsenal was transformed from a league winning team to a team fighting for the 4th place due to their new stadium costs ? Unless a rich businessman take over as chairman, it is going to badly affect our budget for the new players as well.

The last 2 were quite universally hated, so he's done well to win over that 50%

Have to agree .. Spurs fans are fudging deluded (nothing special about footy fans bitching about management) .. about half the chairmen in the league are disliked, at least we don't have planes flying over with get out signs ...

Have to agree .. Spurs fans are fudgeing deluded (nothing special about footy fans bitching about management) .. about half the chairmen in the league are disliked, at least we don't have planes flying over with get out signs ...

Someone is actually organising a plane for the next home game - I would link but I don't want to give the mug any more publicity

Why not? Earlier in the thread you insisted that Spurs "don't have a squad" that can compete in even two competitions (let alone four). If you really believe that, then why the hell would a player like Cambiasso want to come to the club?

On the one hand you're saying "Spurs have an awful squad". On the other you're claiming to be surprised that a player doesn't want to join (our awful squad)?

To me that doesn't add up, but we all see things differently I suppose.
Wow. Making up a quote when I've said nothing even close to that. Not cool, man. I'm not even gonna bother replying to this.

The chance to compete again at the highest available level? You don't get that as ambitious or desirable?

Play two games against a team at the highest level you mean? And the rest in the greek league or against fourth seeded CL teams and Arsenal.

By that pish poor attempt at a theory why did Pele bother with the '66 or '70 World Cup? He'd played it before and even won it.

I think you and I both know the difference between playin for Olympiakos in the CL and playing for Brazil in the WC. If not I can't help you.

Why would Cambiasso want to play EPL again (with a mid-table possibly relegation threatened team by some posts on here)? He'd played it just last year!!
Still the point I was trying to make was there were cheaper alternatives available to paying 25 M for Wyanyama. This has gotten way out of hand.

Back