• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Big BIG Levy fan here. However, we have money and I'm extremely disappointed we haven't strengthened. Harry Kane on his own up top? Nothing short of unprofessional.

Reactions: DTA
Big BIG Levy fan here. However, we have money and I'm extremely disappointed we haven't strengthened. Harry Kane on his own up top? Nothing short of unprofessional.

We didn't even get a Saha-type player like we did and I cant even finish this sentence because it's too bloody painful. Saha and Nelsen. Good Lord. We were so close...

I I can't dance with any of that except the bit in bold, I have never had respect for " rent a quote" he is a fraud who used his mates in the press to get him the reputation of a great manager. One trophy in over 30 years along with several relegations does not suggest to anyone that he is a great manager and his reputation as a " wheeler dealer" " not my fault guv' type of guy is hogwash.

He has been partly responsible for nearly bankrupting three clubs and lies through his teeth most of the time and his arse hole of a son is not much better.

Rant over.

"

Get off the fence Parklane

hopefully people will stop moaning now, it's policy

good stuff, reading between the lines there it's obvious how they feel about moaning fans and WBA's behaviour

Only thing more micky mouse then going into first day of the season with only one centre forward is then having another three weeks to amend that failing miserably and then trying to justify it with some pathetic statement.

hopefully people will stop moaning now, it's policy

good stuff, reading between the lines there it's obvious how they feel about moaning fans and WBA's behaviour

Reading between lines always leads to disappointment and false rumours! :)

This was a canny bit of the statement:

“In Dele, Sonny and Clinton we have three young, fast and exciting players who can play in several different attacking positions, giving us good options.

“All of them had impressive seasons in their respective leagues last season and we are excited about their potential alongside that of our current players.

“I have been very clear that we would only add players that we felt would improve us and if any one player was not possible then I prefer we do not add for the sake of it. Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward.”

By including Alli it makes fans realise that youngsters from other leagues, even lower leagues, can look good and score goals and contribute a lot.

Also it was pleasing to see the list of turds that we managed to get out of our club. Imagine if Levy had got rid of our most valuable players and kept hold of Vlad, Capoue, Lennon etc.

I strongly feel that we should have paid an extra £5m or so for Berahino to push the deal over the line... that money will be more than offset by a feelgood factor, positivity, NOT burning out Kane, making players feel that we are ambitious etc. This assumes that £5m would have been enough to seal it, and I base that on the fact that we were still making 4 offers right up the deadline so we can't have been £10m away IMO.

I know we are saving for a stadium, but I think "Young English Striker" is just one of those positions where you need to pay a premium.

This was a canny bit of the statement:

In Dele, Sonny and Clinton we have three young, fast and exciting players who can play in several different attacking positions, giving us good options.

“All of them had impressive seasons in their respective leagues last season and we are excited about their potential alongside that of our current players.

“I have been very clear that we would only add players that we felt would improve us and if any one player was not possible then I prefer we do not add for the sake of it. Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward.”

By including Alli it makes fans realise that youngsters from other leagues, even lower leagues, can look good and score goals and contribute a lot.

Also it was pleasing to see the list of turds that we managed to get out of our club. Imagine if Levy had got rid of our most valuable players and kept hold of Vlad, Capoue, Lennon etc.

I strongly feel that we should have paid an extra £5m or so for Berahino to push the deal over the line... that money will be more than offset by a feelgood factor, positivity, NOT burning out Kane, making players feel that we are ambitious etc. This assumes that £5m would have been enough to seal it, and I base that on the fact that we were still making 4 offers right up the deadline so we can't have been £10m away IMO.

I know we are saving for a stadium, but I think "Young English Striker" is just one of those positions where you need to pay a premium.

Well according to some experts on here they can not, so they must be right and Poch must be wrong.;)

what I got from it was, the trust can go fudge themselves and peace is a clown shoe

neither disappoint me ;)

Hhhmmm I was a member of the trust at its inception in around 2002 and wasn't overly convinced with them.

Agree with you re Peace.

This is a bit of a curveball... but Nathan Dyer was loaned out to Leicester yesterday. He was an important player very recently, he always seemed very limited to me but somehow seemed to have a good impact, along with Routledge of all people. It just shows how player profiles can change in a short period of time. I guess Andre Ayew and Jefferson Montero have ousted those two good old boys... that is the jungle of the Premiership. Similarly players we like today will be ousted (hopefully!) by better players as we progress... I guess what I'm saying is that right now I really feel that we needed to break the bank for Berahino, but we'll see how I feel next May. Hopefully Kane doesn't have to train too hard and can just do that "red hot bikram yoga" thing to keep him supple...

I agree with @King of Norway 's post in that we should be able to take the middle ground. Labels such as levy-apologist, anti-levy police and levy-hater aren't helpful to have a constructive debate but I take them for what they are; banter. I have never said Levy is perfect even if that is what @Superhudd thinks!

That being said, I don't agree with the point about leaving transfers late and will just respectfully agree to disagree on that. You can only buy a player from a club if they are prepared to sell. These players do not have price tags on them. Sterling cost £50m, Lennon £5m, Depay £25m, Wickham £12.8m, Benteke £32m, Wijnaldum £15m, Son £18m and N'Jie £14m. Make sense of that! So for clubs to be "offended" at receiving a bid below their valuation is offensive and naive in itself. In any negotiation you are taught to leave emotions at the door. If you're too far apart, you just say you are too far apart and see if another bid comes in. Hardly drama of the season. It's naivety to assume that you pick up the phone and just ask how much is Player X. It's naive to assume that an offer is derisory. It's naive to assume that transfers are not paid by stage payments.

Levy has a lot to answer for, but his transfer strategy is not one of them imho. People that say he should take more risks have much less knowledge of the finances than he does so to ask someone to take more of a risk, when there's no risk of your own without full knowledge is just wrong. People that say he has bought the wrong options (Saha, Nelson) again are blaming him when the ire should be aimed at the manager. The manager has the final say. For people that get frustrated with missing out on player X or Y that another club has bought have no knowledge of whether the club wanted them in the first place or for what reasons the club decided to not pursue.

There is a phrase of innocent until proven guilty, yet the man is tried and sentenced without any more fact than an opposing opinion from the other party. Everything else is conjecture and people's own interpretation of the events. Well if that's the way you opine as to who is to be "blamed", then if that is not a definition of bias, I do not know what is. The reason the transfer did not go through is because we did not offer enough. The reason why we didn't offer enough is probably because we couldn't afford it. Not because Levy likes to see his team struggle without the tools that it wants.

Re Harry's comments - All I can say is I'm disappointed in him. He says in the same interview that he thought it was a good fee and the manager wanted to sell. Then he says Levy out-bluffed himself. What's the bluff? He obviously wants the player for a fee that he is willing to pay. Ultimately, as seems to be the case from statements from both sides, Berahino was the one of a few targets and our sole target left coming to the end of the window. So who loses out if that transfer doesn't happen. The club and Levy. It stands to reason therefore that Levy did everything he could possibly do within his constraints to buy the player. Ultimately it was a no. So we move on.

Poch has come out and said himself that he either wants his player or nothing at all. He has also come out and rubbished the only one striker comment. I like that they have put out this comment, and I like that they have not mentioned any names. I like that we don't conduct our transfer business in the public domain and I like that he generally keeps schtum. As @Raziel says, he owns the club, he's the chairman, so he can do what he likes. His actions generally are in the best interests of the club as he and Lewis have the most skin in the game. He gains only if and when they sell the club.

He's not perfect but he's a darn site better than some of the other options out there.

This part of the club statement caught my eye...

"Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward."
- Mauricio Pochettino.

So if you're complaining about "only having one striker", it seems our manager thinks you're being simplistic and probably don't understand the modern game.

Just saying. ;-)

This part of the club statement caught my eye...

"Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch. Also we secured Sonny and Clinton in the knowledge that we may not be adding any other forward."
- Mauricio Pochettino.

So if you're complaining about "only having one striker", it seems our manager thinks you're being simplistic and probably don't understand the modern game.

Just saying
. ;-)

They will not listen.;)

Levy:"Our pragmatic player trading has been important in the way we have run the business of the Club and in getting us to the position where we have now been able to start work on a new stadium - the one thing that has the ability to take this Club to the next level of competitiveness.

"Firstly, there is hardly a transfer concluded across Europe which doesn't include staged payments. This is particularly so when significant amounts such as £20m-£30m are involved - players don't come cheaply these days.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/window-wrap-summer-2015-020915/

Mauricio:“I look at our squad and I know we have worked well to shape it. Strengthening our defence was a priority given the number of goals we conceded last season. Toby, Kevin and Kieran add depth and quality.

“In Dele, Sonny and Clinton we have three young, fast and exciting players who can play in several different attacking positions, giving us good options.

Last edited:
Back