• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

This is what i mean wrt people saying just a little more - we've spent well(lots) over the last couple of years yet still it isn't seen as enough as there's always a little bit more that could have been spent/done. We just needed that extra back up CF or 40m CB on top of the 3rd/4th highest spend in the league to really push on...
The £40m CB would've been instead of £11m Rodon (who has barely played for us). Assuming that the £40m centre back was not an absolute turkey (a possibility with some of our recent recruitment at the club) how many more points do you think we'd have this season if we'd been armed with a half decent centre back?

The crazy thing is that we'll end up having to buy at least one and ideally two centre backs this summer anyway. We'll just have wasted a year in between.

The £40m CB would've been instead of £11m Rodon (who has barely played for us). Assuming that the £40m centre back was not an absolute turkey (a possibility with some of our recent recruitment at the club) how many more points do you think we'd have this season if we'd been armed with a half decent centre back?

But then we'd likely still have Mourinho as manager so i call that a net positive

Really how do you know that? Schneiderlin wouldn’t have been in big wages at Soton likewise Winjnaldum at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
Schneidelain went for £24m and £100k a week (more than we paid anyone at the time) according to reports
Wilnadlum is on £90k big actually turned us down according to reports
Martial went for up to £58m
I mean there not real comparisons to the players you mentioned for us who were all none starters.
I’d say wanyama is a better comparison for Scheiderlain... and I think we got a better deal there.
And son for Martial... no competition really

We lucked our way to the final, nothing to do with Poch being brilliant. Our form since Xmas had been terrible.
No one lucks their way to the final of the biggest tournament in club football. We had some luck yes. But you also make your luck through a good system, good management and determination. I seem to remember us at different times being without Kane, Son and Dele. Even without, at that time a relatively in form Sissoko. How long do you think it will be before we luck our way to another Champions League final? Bloody hell it is a ridiculous narrative.

We lucked our way to the final, nothing to do with Poch being brilliant. Our form since Xmas had been terrible.
A squad with zero reinforcements for 18 months at that point, that had actually also just been weakened by selling Dembele with no replacement. Were you surprised that the squad ran out of steam?

No one lucks their way to the final of the biggest tournament in club football. We had some luck yes. But you also make your luck through a good system, good management and determination. I seem to remember us at different times being without Kane, Son and Dele. Even without, at that time a relatively in form Sissoko. How long do you think it will be before we luck our way to another Champions League final? Bloody hell it is a ridiculous narrative.
It was huge amounts of luck, City absolutely battered us and should've won comfortably, Ajax were comfortably the better side over the two legs and we were even lucky to get out of the group

He wasn't my first choice, or even in my top 100, but I can understand the gamble on him even if I didn't agree with it. Anyway, the debate on the rights and wrongs of sacking Poch and hiring Jose have been done to death dozens of times over.
Massive waste of £30 odd million of the clubs money though right?

Schneidelain went for £24m and £100k a week (more than we paid anyone at the time) according to reports
Wilnadlum is on £90k big actually turned us down according to reports
Martial went for up to £58m
I mean there not real comparisons to the players you mentioned for us who were all none starters.
I’d say wanyama is a better comparison for Scheiderlain... and I think we got a better deal there.
And son for Martial... no competition really
Schneiderlin went the following season. He was ready to come to Spurs for the wages we were offering at the time. I don’t know what went on between levy and the Southampton board but Southampton blocked it much to Schneiderlin’s disappointment I believe. I don’t know what the issue was with Winjnaldum but we were linked for a while before Liverpool met the asking price then blew us out of the water with their wage offer. Martial was the same but with Utd. So instead we wasted millions on players who were not up to scratch.

Back