• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dalian Atkinson Dead.

I don't think that the police officer intended for him to die. The outcome is of course very unfortunate, but one thing that you have to concede is that these police officers and others around the country, risk their lives every day in the line of duty. It's unfair for people to judge their actions when you consider what they do for us. I doubt highly that they saw this human being and thought to themselves that it would be fun to end his life....is that what some of you think has happened here?

Former Premier League footballer Dalian Atkinson attempted to murder his 85-year-old father before police Tasered him to death, it has been claimed.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing the 48-year-old drunkenly stumbling towards officers shouting 'I am the Messiah' before being shot 'four or five times', even when he had fallen to the floor. Witnesses accused the police of being 'trigger happy' and claimed officers waited up to 20 minutes to call an ambulance.

One said they appeared to kick Atkinson whilst he was on the floor.

Another said Atkinson – a regular visitor to the property but understood to be living with a friend – screamed that he was homeless and appeared to be trying to kick his father’s front door down.

Brother Kenroy told how Atkinson, who had been suffering depression after dialysis treatment for kidney failure, tried to strangle his elderly father Ernest at his home in Telford, Shropshire.

Kenroy, 53, told The Sun: 'My brother had lost it. He was in a manic state and depressed — out of his mind and ranting. He had a tube in his shoulder for the dialysis and he had ripped it out and was covered in blood.

'He got dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him. He was not in his right mind.'

The former Aston Villa striker went into cardiac arrest in an ambulance. He was pronounced dead in hospital 90 minutes later. His father yesterday confirmed Atkinson appeared to have been either on drink or on drugs.

Atkinson was said to have been due at a private hospital in Manchester today for a medical appointment.

West Mercia Police, whose officers rushed to the scene, amid 'concerns for the safety of an individual', declined to comment on the allegations because the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which is to carry out a 'full and thorough investigation' into officers' actions.

IPCC deputy chairman Rachel Cerfontyne said that an investigation team had met with Mr Atkinson's family to explain their role probing officers' actions.

Atkinson, who made his name playing for Aston Villa in England's top flight in the 1990s, was 'very agitated' shortly before officers discharged the Taser, his elderly father Ernest has said.

He had been visiting the 85-year-old at the time and a next door neighbour told how Atkinson's father repeatedly said this morning: 'He's gone, my boy is dead'. Others said the former Ipswich Town and Sheffield Wednesday player had a weak heart and had suffered from kidney failure in the past.

Neighbours claimed to see Atkinson banging on his father's door and 'shouting about being homeless' in the lead up to his death. He then went down 'like a lead balloon' after being hit by the Taser, an eyewitness said.

Speaking from his home in Telford the former footballer's father said: 'He was in a real state. I don't know if he was drunk or on drugs but he was very agitated and his mind was upset.

'The last thing he said to me was "don't move" when the police came to the door. He was threatening and very upset. I didn't call the police but someone else did.

'He got tasered in the street outside in the road. I didn't see him but I saw a flash. I haven't had any sleep and cannot take it in. The police are dealing with this now.'

Eyewitness Paula Quinn, 44, claimed the Taser was discharged numerous times by an officer even after Atkinson fell to the floor.

She said: 'I was up and about and I could hear a car alarm going off. It was Dalian's Porsche alarm.

'I heard shouting and that's when I looked out the window and saw the two police officers and the gentleman, who I now know was Dalian.

'He was walking toward them, not aggressively, he appeared to be drunk or something. They warned him they were going to Taser him and he appeared to be stumbling forwards.

'Then he was Tasered and he fell to the floor. I heard the taser go off again a number out times, at least four or five, when he was on he ground.

‘Afterwards the two police officers starting kicking him around his body. I heard the Taser go off again a number out times, at least four or five, when he was on the ground.

'There wasn't any noise coming from the gentlemen anymore. The ambulance arrived 10 to 15 minutes after and they worked on him for 15 minutes. He was wheeled off and appeared to be unconscious.'

Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said the officers could ‘easily have restrained’ Atkinson outside the house in the Trench area of Telford. He added that he was the victim of a 'trigger-happy police officer.’

Atkinson's 31-year-old nephew, Fabian, today criticised police for using 'excessive force'.

Fabian Atkinson said his uncle 'had a few problems with drink', adding: 'He was having dialysis for kidney problems, he was just getting himself back together with that and that is why his heart was weaker.'

Another family friend said the former footballer had only just come out of hospital a few days ago.

Neighbours described hearing 'a lot of shouting and police' outside the family home at around 1.30am.

Several claimed he had been trying to kick in the door of his family home while his father barricaded himself inside.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: 'I found out what had happened last night, when I heard the commotion outside - it was frightening.

'There was a lot of banging and shouting, and doors being kicked in.

'Dalian was shouting about being homeless, he wanted his dad to let him in - but his dad wouldn't so he was kicking the door. I have no idea why, or what they were fighting about.

'Then someone phoned the police, and they came - I don't know exactly what happened after that, but it's very tragic.

Life after football proved a further challenge for Atkinson, according to his former friend and team-mate Carlton Palmer.

'It can be difficult for players when they finish and I know Dalian found it difficult,' Palmer said.

'Footballers don't know anything else. Dalian would not have finished his career financially secure and he was scratching around doing stuff.

'When you finish as a footballer, all of a sudden at 34 or 35 you have no routine and no structure to your life and that can be a major problem.

'It can be a very dangerous spiral and unfortunately that's what it was for Dalian.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3741176/Man-38-dies-police-shoot-Taser-Telford.html

This is a very long article, this being some of the most relevant stuff to the actual incident.

Can a taser be fired that many times in quick succession? Think that bird might be enjoying her 15 minutes tbh.

Sad to hear and read, remember his playing days and whatever happened last night it sounds like he had a few problems adapting to life after football. RIP.

Certainly adds some much-needed context to the situation...again, you wonder if they could not have restrained him without tasering? I will concede that having not been there, and with this alternate set of observations, the situation seems a little less clear.

I think the 'reaction' should be in line with the situation. You know, applying a bit of context, silly things like that. Policemen are, after all, still human beings and not cyborgs or vulcans. I concede, until the full details come out this entire conversation is like tinkleing in the wind, however, for the sake of speculative discussion, if Atkinson was stumbling around looking like he was either tinkleed or stoned, I would suggest that he did not need an immediate tasering. IF this is to be the new standard of West Midlands policing, expect to see hundred of casualties every single weekend around the streets of Brum...
The context has already been applied in the decision to threaten the use of the taser.

What I'm asking is, once that decision has been made (as this is the point at which our stellar witness joins the party) what is the appropriate action for someone who doesn't stop?

There is only one option IMO. Otherwise the threat of a taser (currently an even less lethal method than an actual taser) becomes useless.

But was this a situation where the threat and eventual use of a taser was required? I agree that if they threaten it and he keeps coming at them then it's the obvious course of action, but the question would seem to be did a couple of coppers need to start down that path to bring down a near 50 year old to begin with?

But was this a situation where the threat and eventual use of a taser was required? I agree that if they threaten it and he keeps coming at them then it's the obvious course of action, but the question would seem to be did a couple of coppers need to start down that path to bring down a near 50 year old to begin with?
The experts (police) decided it was.

Put yourself in their shoes and tell me that you wouldn't err on the side of caution if you felt that there was a chance this person might be about to attack you.....and you could control the situation with a device issued to you for that very reason. The only reason this is newsworthy is that he unfortunately died as a result of this action.

I presume police are trained in restraining suspects without needing to zap them? There was more than 1 of them I believe?

I'm not saying they were wrong in this instance, I've no idea, but I don't see any issue with asking the questions, as the IPCC will be doing.

I presume police are trained in restraining suspects without needing to zap them? There was more than 1 of them I believe?

I'm not saying they were wrong in this instance, I've no idea, but I don't see any issue with asking the questions, as the IPCC will be doing.

Then you get into a situation of police using "excess force" if something goes wrong. People in a rage or under the influence of alcohol or drugs can take a lot of subduing and it's extremely difficult not to hurt them in the process. I not saying the Police are always faultless but each incident needs to be looked at on it's own merits and not pre-judged.

True, but that's why we (hopefully) train them to do that properly.

I'm guessing, but I'd assume hitting someone with a taser carries a higher risk of complication than physical restraint, I don't think they deploy them all that often?

And again, in this case they could well have made the correct decision and acted appropriately, I just don't think being worried about confrontation, or simply being the police, means that they definitely did. So questions have to be asked.

Questions are always asked of the police, I know because one of my best mates is in the Met and the days of bending the rules to suit their own outcome are long gone, they are hugely regulated.

The police bashing gets abit tired now
Unfortunately it's the default position for many, even when there's no reason whatsoever to cause it.

For every 100 correct reactions the police make I bet there is less than 1 wrong, but saying the police do a good job is not provocative enough.

Police work isn't like any other, yes there is training for the job, but unlike changing a tire or fixing an engine their job is in most, spontaneous and therefore all you can do as a Policeman or woman is act spontaneously, that is the nature of the job.

But at the times the police make a right decision it counts for nothing once something goes wrong. When the police do something routinely well it does not stay newsworthy regardless of the bigger impact.

This is forgotten already https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15525...s-woman-whose-last-words-were-hes-still-here/

Last edited:
Why would that have been forgotten already? And why is it relevant, does 1 correct use of a taser mean all uses are correct? Did Atkinson have a knife? (He may well have done for all I know, again I've no idea if they acted correctly in deploying taser in this situation).

I would think that the huge majority of jobs only become noteworthy when someone fudges up. To borrow your comparison, if someone gets their tyres done and one of them later goes for a Burton on the M1, I'm guessing there may be a question or two for the tyre fitter.

You seem to be suggesting that because the police have to make decisions in the heat of the moment, any decision they do make is therefore OK?

The nature of any service job, especially public service: you only hear anything when things go wrong. Hardly a word of thanks is said when things go smoothly...just ask the train companies.

Sadly, the Police have become amongst those where they are more scrutinised due to previous public scandals and cases of apparent corruption. They will just have to deal with the extra scrutiny - just like MPs etc

Back