• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Why don't you do it anymore? Agree with your tips - can't stand sitting at lights and watching a fellow cyclist go right through - gives us all a bad name

Moved out to the country and get the tube in now, I still cycle regularly but now just for fun on quiet country roads.

You think you can win a tour de france then without good bike handling or a tactical brain e.g. Froome who went out on them last year?

It's turned into formula one with the cyclists being told exactly what to do and when to attack and when not to chase by earpieces. The biggest joke was Michele Ferrari advising Armstrong on his phone during the 2000 when Pantani attacked. The expert doctor telling Lance not to go after him than Pantani had overreached. Armstrong of course won that day.
The tv companies want the radios banned. The UCI keep threatening to do it but then the teams protest.

Froome has terrible bike handling for a pro and spends most of the race staring at his powermeter with a lack of awareness of what happening around him. That's why he crashes so often. Its got beyond a joke years ago see http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/ for instance.

UCI are a complete joke anyway, they never do anything decisive. They had a bust up with organisers of the tour de france the other day around changing the calendar around to make it more formula 1 weekend styley.

That's a good website, don't really follow cycling enough to know the in's and outs. I'll look out for more looking down this year then :)

No Kittel for this years Tour http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/degenkolb-to-lead-giant-alpecin-at-the-tour-de-france?

I wonder if Giant thought the were not enough stages for him as it does not look a good year for the pure sprinters. Is a shame he is not racing as I wanted to see a fit inform cav-kittel race off. We never really had that, two years ago cav was still suffering after the Giro with illness then last year he crashed out. By next year old father time will have made a race off pointless.

A lot of good young sprinters coming through and the French have some very good ones. I think Kristoff will win the most stages this year, I was very impressed with his classics campaign. He looks to have a bit of everything to him.

There's only 4 proper sprinting stages in this years tour anyway. Cav should get 2 of those. I'm looking out to see what Sam Bennet can do in his first big grand tour.
Also it will be interesting to see if Sagan goes after the green jersey without a team to support him.

Fastest time trial in Tour de France history. Perfect for this new peak doping era.

the previous record was Chris Boardman though right, and he definitely wasn't doping, surely it was inevitable that a new mark would be set at some point what with the lighter equipment and technical improvements over the last 20 years

the previous record was Chris Boardman though right, and he definitely wasn't doping, surely it was inevitable that a new mark would be set at some point what with the lighter equipment and technical improvements over the last 20 years

The bikes are still the same weight. There is a minimum limit. There has been no real huge improvement in bikes since the 90s.
The jury is out on Boardman and how he could win in the EPO era.
But the time yesterday was remarkable. 13.8-kilometre time trial stage in an average speed of 55.446kmh versus Boardman’s previous record at 55.2kmh during a much shorter 7.2km. Its like running faster in the 10k than the 5k.

Bad day for Chich today. Cav's 4th meant both his favourite riders missed out.

Yep bad day for both my favourite riders cav and martin.
Despite them having the best team in the world quickstep are utterly useless, I wonder if they even practice lead outs. Not to hide the blame from Cav who should have done better, he could see he was 400 meter from the line why he decided to sprint I will never know.

What the hell was Renshaw doing as well, pathetic days racing but it was like that in the classics where they had so many options and would often not get the victory. Leading the field with 10k to go was madness because froome and contador needed the time gap they could have left it up to those teams to pace it in. They destroyed their own lead out and it was stupid then combine that with poor decision making by Renshaw and stupid sprinting by cav and that is what you get.

Would be suprised to see cav win any more stages in the tour to be honest, he has lost some of his tactical nous and some of his speed, combine that with the trio of very good french sprinters and also kittel(i know he not here this year) sagan, kristoff and a seemingly more organised Griepel. The future is looking bleak for cav with his contract up this year.

He needs to come back and prove he can win without a great lead out train which means doing the basics of when to hit the front etc, the rest of this tour is going to define the rest of his career, get some stage wins and he might get a new contract or a new team who trusts him, if he does not win stages then I think he will become a bit part remembered only as someone who could win with a lead out train.

The pressure is on him now.

The bikes are still the same weight. There is a minimum limit. There has been no real huge improvement in bikes since the 90s.
The jury is out on Boardman and how he could win in the EPO era.
But the time yesterday was remarkable. 13.8-kilometre time trial stage in an average speed of 55.446kmh versus Boardman’s previous record at 55.2kmh during a much shorter 7.2km. Its like running faster in the 10k than the 5k.

Bad day for Chich today. Cav's 4th meant both his favourite riders missed out.

I thought the minimum limit was lower now in the carbon era than when boardman set that mark?

there is a hell of a difference between the Peugeot and the Specialized in my garage, and again to the rides the pros have

boardman didn't win in the epo era, it's one of the signs he was clean, as soon as the road went up he went backwards, day 1 on the flat before the dopers had their sollenoids warmed up was when he could perform

I'm not sure the comparison is that obvious, yes most TT/Prologues are flat, but yesterday made Kate moss look like Pamela Anderson

im sure there are plenty of chancers in the tour on more than bread and water but I dont think yesterday suggests doping is still rife, Dennis was with Vaughters at Garmin before BMC and according to the telegraph had throughly recce'd the route in advance, I think he just pulled out an exceptional ride

dunno what Cav was thinking today, went way to early, sky will be very pleased with their day, kept out of trouble, were not overly worked and gapped Nibali and Quintana

I thought the minimum limit was lower now in the carbon era than when boardman set that mark?

there is a hell of a difference between the Peugeot and the Specialized in my garage, and again to the rides the pros have

boardman didn't win in the epo era, it's one of the signs he was clean, as soon as the road went up he went backwards, day 1 on the flat before the dopers had their sollenoids warmed up was when he could perform

I'm not sure the comparison is that obvious, yes most TT/Prologues are flat, but yesterday made Kate moss look like Pamela Anderson

im sure there are plenty of chancers in the tour on more than bread and water but I dont think yesterday suggests doping is still rife, Dennis was with Vaughters at Garmin before BMC and according to the telegraph had throughly recce'd the route in advance, I think he just pulled out an exceptional ride

dunno what Cav was thinking today, went way to early, sky will be very pleased with their day, kept out of trouble, were not overly worked and gapped Nibali and Quintana

Baordman had some good climbing performances. Remember him finishing second in a mid 90 dauphine for instance. Sure he never turned up in the tour.
As I said before, the jury will always be out on him whereas its a closed book on the large majority or that era.

Supposedly that Time Trial was recorded to be much shorter than we were all told so Dennis's record time wont stand. Dan Martin reckons it was 400km on his gps for instance.

good day for Froome, they'll have the lead car tomorrow which is always important on cobbles

It was always unknown how we would do on a short sharp climb like that. The other big four performed pretty much how you'd expect. Nibali and Contador have never went well up that climb in the past.

This was my favourite moment of the day.
Cheeky bit of cheating with a sticky bottle by Ian Stannard

Absolutely amazing footage of the aftermath of the huge crash today recorded on a Go Pro camera worn by an Orica Greenedge mechanic

It was always unknown how we would do on a short sharp climb like that. The other big four performed pretty much how you'd expect. Nibali and Contador have never went well up that climb in the past.

This was my favourite moment of the day.
Cheeky bit of cheating with a sticky bottle by Ian Stannard

that was hilarious, hold it hold it hold it, bin it

Sounds like he stormed it, hope he's still got something left in the tank for the rest of the week.

Cav won a stage last week too, about time. Was beginning to think he was finished.

What a race yesterday, gonna take an amazing turn around to stop him now

yeah, although that stage favoured Froome, the long grind climbs in the Alps will favour Quintana and Contador

I reckon this should be it, Sky can control things from here, the team is so strong, if moviestar start thinking about stage wins for Valverde it's all over

Back