• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Maybe you should wait until after the summer to invest in a bike, hotshot? Surely there might be some sales popping up in late september time?

Yep, I thought that - apparently some 2013 bikes are coming in as soon as next week, so they're already selling off the 2012's... a few sales about at Giant (as above) and Specialized.

Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing!

How easy is it for a business to be put on the cycle to work scheme? Do they have to pay anything for the privilege? I ask this, because I might get a new bike next summer, and currently work for my father's company. If I could save a lot of money for minimal hassle, then it might be worth a go.

Its FREE

your father's company will also benefit from reduced NI payments

You pay for the bike out of your gross salary and spread payments over a year

You can get a 1000 bike for like 35 quid a month!

There is also no credit check as your company effectively pre-approves your application

And you don't have to cycle to work

How easy is it for a business to be put on the cycle to work scheme? Do they have to pay anything for the privilege? I ask this, because I might get a new bike next summer, and currently work for my father's company. If I could save a lot of money for minimal hassle, then it might be worth a go.

Not a huge amount but it needs to be done properly to stand up to hmrc scrutiny.

my job is dealing with large scale employee benefit schemes so I've dealt with dozens of these schemes.

Tour De Vuelta starts today, its on Eurosport LIVE with highlights on ITV also..

1st stage is the time trial, Team Sky goes at 19.19pm

Not as far as I know.

If it did, would I have to cycles the rather arduous 20 miles to work every day??!

Popped in to Giant at Radlett today, got some full carbon at 20%, just about bringing it into budget. very tempted.

Best advice I can give is to make sure you give all options a good ride first...all bikes are slightly different shapes etc. I love my specialized and found giants uncomfortable...all personal taste, but most bike shops will let you take the bike out for a spin...

I recommend cycle surgery, then once you have chosen your bike, look it up on wiggle and cycle surgery will price match it. Benefit being you will have a local shop that sold you the bike who will give you advice on extra bits in the future...

Imo you'd be better off spending a little less on the bike and making sure you have money for good helmet, shoes, glasses, bibs etc

So Team Sky finished fifth in the team time trial in the first stage of the Vuelta. Looking forward to watching the second stage later

I'm gonna get stick for this but I love Contador as a rider. He's like cycling's Messi. 6 attacks on one stage when he'd be better off saving himself for later in the tour.

Yeah it was fantastic to watch, but the bloke shouldn't be racing anyway. Froome did well to stay with the other three in that last section

Would have loved all the details to come in a court case but ...

... that's what Armstrong doesn't want.

I don't think he's dropping the fight for one moment. This is just a different strategy. He has a history of taking legal action to block people talking, prevent investigations and hearings, and this current action stops the USADA tribunal.

Now it seems the USADA will no longer hold the tribunal and will determine he is guilty and should be stripped of his titles. Then its up to the UCI and Tour de France to act on their determination and strip Armstrong of the titles. But there is politics involved between the world and US governing bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to follow through because the evidence wasn't heard by a tribunal, possibly even taking legal action questioning the USADA authority. This last might see the evidence heard by the CAS.

Meanwhile, Armstrong will continue to declare his innocence and repeat for his witchhunt claim. He will even be able to use any UCI legal proceedings against the USADA as evidence of a witchhunt.

Cycling has become such a joke sport. Why even bother with the drug tests - they should just allow doping and stop pretending.

Do you think that Wiggins is doping then? If it's such a joke sport, he must be apart of it.

I hope not, but with all the drug cases in cycling for the past decade or so, it wouldn't surprise me the slightest. In my view, there are just too many cyclists caught cheating for that sport to have any credibility left. Kudos to the cycling authorities for actually testing and punishing the cheaters, obviously, but they have a lot of hard work to clean up the sport properly.

I hope not, but with all the drug cases in cycling for the past decade or so, it wouldn't surprise me the slightest. In my view, there are just too many cyclists caught cheating for that sport to have any credibility left. Kudos to the cycling authorities for actually testing and punishing the cheaters, obviously, but they have a lot of hard work to clean up the sport properly.
The sport is gradually cleaning its act up - the fact is that things that have happened in the past are lingering over today's competitions, unfortunately. The sport will never be truly moral until the likes of Armstrong are found out, as he has had such a big influence on the sport over the years.

But I think it has to be said that cycling is in a better shape than it ever has been over the past 15 years.

The sport is gradually cleaning its act up - the fact is that things that have happened in the past are lingering over today's competitions, unfortunately. The sport will never be truly moral until the likes of Armstrong are found out, as he has had such a big influence on the sport over the years.

But I think it has to be said that cycling is in a better shape than it ever has been over the past 15 years.

I hope it is, and even if I'm no big cycling fan, I also hope that the sport is cleaning up and continuing to do so. But I think we will need to see constant improvements and clean competitions for many years before cycling rids itself of the bad reputation from all the drug cases. Like you say, hopefully with Armstrong out of the way, that day is getting closer.

We have to remember that the UCI opposed serious drug testing for a long time and only recently allowed meaningful tests. There was a whole generation (possibly more) where drugs were the norm and where the teams had to be in on it. Without checking, I think every Tour de France winner between Indurain and Wiggins has tested positive for something or has strong suspicion against him (except maybe Evans?). We can only hope that the era is over and the number of cheats is now a small minority. Unfortunately, we will always be suspicious that they have move on to something that the testers can't detect.

Back