• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

This is the kind of behavior I would've hoped being a vice-captain might've discouraged. He did let his team down but... I also didn't really think that was a bad foul. You know, 50/50 ball in the box but that still doesn't excuse Romero for descending into his downward spiral moments before that. I like that he's aggressive but with Van de Ven injured as well, I hope it dawns on Romero just how much of a hole he's dug the team into (not single-handedly of course).
Still, he's played better than not this season but let's keep the standards high for all our players. I think Ange has been waiting for some sort of loss to happen and I have no doubt he will make full use of it with the players. With that said, I think he will praise the players more after a loss like tonight instead of tearing into them despite winning. I love that about him and I have some faith that it might help Romero be more mature.

Wasn’t a clear cut red. Do you apply the same to Udogie? It is a slow-mo red. Normal speed no one would ever give a red and unlikely they’d award a pen either.

Slow mo, freeze framed on studs connecting with shin. Pause there….assess…red.

There are signs that it is coming, maybe we should sub him as soon as he looks to be getting too aggressive.

Wasn’t a clear cut red. Do you apply the same to Udogie? It is a slow-mo red. Normal speed no one would ever give a red and unlikely they’d award a pen either.

I think it probably was a red tbf. I don’t think those ones (the follow through) are always given though, that’s what I’m slightly annoyed about. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a similar “catch the player on the follow through” incident next weekend and no red handed out.

Romero was silly though, no excuses, he lost his head for the first time this season.

There are signs that it is coming, maybe we should sub him as soon as he looks to be getting too aggressive.
If you have to do that, you may as well sell him. Can’t be making those sorts of changes after 20 or 30 mins.

You’re right though. It was coming and it cost us 3 points. Really, really disappointing on so many levels. I thought he’d turned a corner with this nonsense, it now rules him out for 3 games and with VdV gone, we’re in a massive hole.

I hope the lad feels a bit brick tonight.

Was Curtis Jones tackle on Bissouma red? I don’t see any difference

The thing is how does a defender avoid following through like Romero did if you go straight through the ball in a full blooded tackle? It’s not like he completely missed the ball and went in to Fernandez’s leg. I can understand that it looks nasty and therefore it’s a red but is he meant to not go all in on challenges when he gets the ball?

I realise I’m likely being stupid/naive but…

The thing is how does a defender avoid following through like Romero did if you go straight through the ball in a full blooded tackle? It’s not like he completely missed the ball and went in to Fernandez’s leg. I can understand that it looks nasty and therefore it’s a red but is he meant to not go all in on challenges when he gets the ball?

I realise I’m likely being stupid/naive but…
I think its worse because Romero has got a reputation, if that was VDV it will be looked at as a bad challenge but i feel most would back him saying it was an accident. In a packed box you are not just tackling, you are trying to clear the ball as far as possible at the same time. I feel he went through it to clear the ball.

Was Curtis Jones tackle on Bissouma red? I don’t see any difference
The other thing that really pizzed me off was the yellow for Sarr and Jackson for a bit of aggro. Yet Jackson was going to receive a yellow for the intentional foul stopping the counter. How is that not 2 yellows? The ref rolled the two yellows into one.

Var dominated the match sadly. When in normal speed we were head and shoulders better than them.

Last edited:
I think its worse because Romero has got a reputation, if that was VDV it will be looked at as a bad challenge but i feel most would back him saying it was an accident. In a packed box you are not just tackling, you are trying to clear the ball as far as possible at the same time. I feel he went through it to clear the ball.

That’s just it. It was a full blooded, hard tackle. In the past it would hardly be a foul. It looked an ugly challenge and I can understand if he missed the ball BUT he got the ball but unfortunately the player too. So is he to be going in to challenges in future with a feather light tackle?

I think his petulant kick out earlier in the match was a more stupid offence. Even if less likely to cause serious injury to the opponent.

That’s just it. It was a full blooded, hard tackle. In the past it would hardly be a foul. It looked an ugly challenge and I can understand if he missed the ball BUT he got the ball but unfortunately the player too. So is he to be going in to challenges in future with a feather light tackle?

I think his petulant kick out earlier in the match was a more stupid offence. Even if less likely to cause serious injury to the opponent.

he intentionally got the ball in a way that would let him put one on the Chelsea player, pre VAR you get away with that every time, different world now

the whole thing was premeditated, I think most people who have played can see that for what it was, as most of us have done it too

I think it probably was a red tbf. I don’t think those ones (the follow through) are always given though, that’s what I’m slightly annoyed about. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a similar “catch the player on the follow through” incident next weekend and no red handed out.

Romero was silly though, no excuses, he lost his head for the first time this season.

And if does and it's a first foul then we really can't argue, but Romero had already been very fortunate to not have been sent off five minutes before.
That was a ridiculously dumb tackle to make.

And if does and it's a first foul then we really can't argue, but Romero had already been very fortunate to not have been sent off five minutes before.
That was a ridiculously dumb tackle to make.

I think he was scared and he wanted to get out of there.

Back