• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

he intentionally got the ball in a way that would let him put one on the Chelsea player, pre VAR you get away with that every time, different world now

the whole thing was premeditated, I think most people who have played can see that for what it was, as most of us have done it too

Fair enough if that’s true. I think he got away with the kick out only due to VAR’s incompete system. I think VAR can only review for red card offences? So when they deemed his kick out to not be a red card, they couldn’t give him the reduced punishment of a booking.

Fair enough if that’s true. I think he got away with the kick out only due to VAR’s incompete system. I think VAR can only review for red card offences? So when they deemed his kick out to not be a red card, they couldn’t give him the reduced punishment of a booking.

maybe, but the second one, he was trying to hurt that guy

he intentionally got the ball in a way that would let him put one on the Chelsea player, pre VAR you get away with that every time, different world now

the whole thing was premeditated, I think most people who have played can see that for what it was, as most of us have done it too
100% this.

It's true that Romero has done this a number of times before...ie put the unnecessary extra force into a tackle...and yes, he's not been caught.
But if that's the game you play, you will sometimes get called on it.

I thought being part of the leadership group and being the 'senior' defender had put a leash on this type of aggression but alas, it still bubbling away

Growth and development rarely means just stopping making similar mistakes as in the past, but rather making them less frequently.

Growth and development rarely has an end point.

He will hopefully learn from this. He's probably not the only one. I think he will.

Growth and development rarely means just stopping making similar mistakes as in the past, but rather making them less frequently.

Growth and development rarely has an end point.

He will hopefully learn from this. He's probably not the only one. I think he will.

I hope he does because he has been immense, but if he doesn't he won't be here long.

Don't dampen that fire, or he becomes a lesser player.

It'll be like when Alli started thinking about his game instead of just playing by instinct. His career actually hit it's first big bump with a reckless red card (Gent in 2017)

100% this.

It's true that Romero has done this a number of times before...ie put the unnecessary extra force into a tackle...and yes, he's not been caught.
But if that's the game you play, you will sometimes get called on it.

I thought being part of the leadership group and being the 'senior' defender had put a leash on this type of aggression but alas, it still bubbling away
He put in a shocker v Bmuff at the start of the season.

The one last night was scummy, he knew what he was doing, he let the team down.

It'll be like when Alli started thinking about his game instead of just playing by instinct. His career actually hit it's first big bump with a reckless red card (Gent in 2017)
He'd dampened the fire for the first 10 games of the season, playing with his head and not rushing out of position to make stupid challenges.
It's the best 10 games he's played for us. I don't know if he just got wound up last night but he's no use to us like that.

After a few pushes and fouls weren't given the atmosphere changed and the players fed off that. We were 1-0 up, the better team and the crowd was cheering every tackle. The best teams don’t get sucked into the hostile atmosphere, unfortunately we did.
I’ve seen better teams than us react

We all wondered years ago if this was why he went downhill but recent revelations has shown us he clearly just had a mental health issue and fell out of love with the game.

He'd dampened the fire for the first 10 games of the season, playing with his head and not rushing out of position to make stupid challenges.
It's the best 10 games he's played for us. I don't know if he just got wound up last night but he's no use to us like that.
Yep I am hoping last night was a watershed moment for him and the penny will finally drop.

A lesson for Udogie too. I still don’t know what he was thinking with that first challenge.

You know, you often hear from older ex players and fans about how "That was never a foul/yellow/red back in our day" and when you saw old footage of George Best getting hacked to pieces it always felt like the game had moved on for the better. I'm in my 40s now and grew up with 90s and 00s football and I'm starting to feel like those people!.. None of the incidents yesterday would have been a Sending off offence when I played. To get a Red card (outside of violent conduct) you'd need to commit a really cynical tackle from behind or bring down the last man when he was clear through on goal.

Don't get me wrong, According to modern rules we got what we deserved and Romero should've known better etc. but
does anyone else feel as disheartened with the way the game is going nowadays? Red cards seem to be thrown around left, right and centre now for such small things. I can't even remember the last time I saw a red for violent conduct and thought, "wow, that fella is out of order and has to go" ....not by old standards at least.

You know, you often hear from older ex players and fans about how "That was never a foul/yellow/red back in our day" and when you saw old footage of George Best getting hacked to pieces it always felt like the game had moved on for the better. I'm in my 40s now and grew up with 90s and 00s football and I'm starting to feel like those people!.. None of the incidents yesterday would have been a Sending off offence when I played. To get a Red card (outside of violent conduct) you'd need to commit a really cynical tackle from behind or bring down the last man when he was clear through on goal.

Don't get me wrong, According to modern rules we got what we deserved and Romero should've known better etc. but
does anyone else feel as disheartened with the way the game is going nowadays? Red cards seem to be thrown around left, right and centre now for such small things. I can't even remember the last time I saw a red for violent conduct and thought, "wow, that fella is out of order and has to go" ....not by old standards at least.
What I didn’t like was .. wait for it….
Sterling diving
He didn’t get caught by Destiny (if he had he would be nursing a broken leg) but he jumped out of the way and dived
He dived just before the Romero foul for the penalty
He then did it later on a slight touch from Porro
2 of them are yellows for cheating
Not a comment though anywhere

Players are much stronger and faster than in "the good aul days". If they got away with used to be allowed there would be much more serious injuries with the increased force of impact due to being that much stronger and faster.

Players are much stronger and faster than in "the good aul days". If they got away with used to be allowed there would be much more serious injuries with the increased force of impact due to being that much stronger and faster.
Fair point. Not just talking tackles though. That doesn't account for reds for a gentle palm in someone's face and the player hitting the deck though. Or a pen for a ball hitting a hand on a cross that a defender had no idea about. Pens used to be if it stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity etc. Nowadays we are all watching and going "that's a yellow, that should be a yellow too, and that!" I just find it all a bit exhausting now. I just want to see the best footballing side prevail but there are just too many random incidents that can screw up a game.

Fair point. Not just talking tackles though. That doesn't account for reds for a gentle palm in someone's face and the player hitting the deck though. Or a pen for a ball hitting a hand on a cross that a defender had no idea about. Pens used to be if it stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity etc. Nowadays we are all watching and going "that's a yellow, that should be a yellow too, and that!" I just find it all a bit exhausting now. I just want to see the best footballing side prevail but there are just too many random incidents that can screw up a game.
A gentle palm in the face should be OK if not intended. Likewise a ball hitting a hand when the player has no clue. But other recent changes such as a yellow card for pulling a player back are BRILLIANT improvements; it used to be awful when players would get dragged back 30 times per game. Likewise dangerous tackles when both feet are off the floor, flying in studs up, that is not necessary in any circumstance and should be red.

Back