• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Covid Games/Tokyo Olympics

I thought the same at the time.

The suggestion between the lines of what she's saying is that if she'd been as good as she normally is, her mental health would be just fine.

Suffering from real mental health issues is not the same as getting sad because she fudged up.

It's a grey area but I do appreciate the angle of knowing if you don't feel 100% with it you can get yourself seriously injured attempting to compete at the highest level. Honestly I'm still trying to work out my views on the current discussion on mental health and what is actually a productive way to go about it.

I see where you're coming from with the last line, having not read the full interview I cannot speculate with certainty but it seemed like she wasn't stating a specific illness / condition but more that the decision was to do with her mental health as a whole which I totally respect.

It's a grey area but I do appreciate the angle of knowing if you don't feel 100% with it you can get yourself seriously injured attempting to compete at the highest level. Honestly I'm still trying to work out my views on the current discussion on mental health and what is actually a productive way to go about it.

I see where you're coming from with the last line, having not read the full interview I cannot speculate with certainty but it seemed like she wasn't stating a specific illness / condition but more that the decision was to do with her mental health as a whole which I totally respect.
Quite possibly, that would suggest a poor career choice then.

Similar vein of facetiousness on my part but it's like when people say "I'm suffering from mental health". Even as I'm typing it, it seems petty and would totally be a dingdong move to correct someone who had brought it up but it's the lexical side of it that irks me somewhat.

I have noticed it as well, people using it as a buzz word and an excuse to get out of doing stuff. Or someone feeling a little bit down or someone wanting attention.

A lot of the young'ns say it far to easily.

I started the mental health thread on this site so I know poor mental health is real and I have genuine issues with it. But with better recognition and treatment comes people saying it for attention or to get benefits.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the mental health thread...

Firstly, to be clear I'm not having a pop at the decision or her as person at all, but one part of what USA Gymnast Simone Biles said after withdrawing gets to me slightly. Maybe it's just me being pedantic because I think I get what she's trying to say but it's still just not the best way to express it:

"After the performance I did, I just didn't want to go on," she said.

"I have to focus on my mental health. I just think mental health is more prevalent in sports right now."

The last line, it just isn't correct. Mental health has always been a massive factor in sports much like physical health, it hasn't suddenly appeared out of nowhere. You could definitely say there is more awareness of the concept and hopefully a higher level of understanding but it's not something those darn snowflakes or Gen Z'ers invented.

Similar vein of facetiousness on my part but it's like when people say "I'm suffering from mental health". Even as I'm typing it, it seems petty and would totally be a dingdong move to correct someone who had brought it up but it's the lexical side of it that irks me somewhat.
I think you are splitting hairs.
One thing we should all know and understand now is it's important to listen and respect people when they talk about health issues; support, not overanalyze.

I know my "underperformance" in life is often a trigger to take a step back and assess where I am right now. Is it just a dip? Or do I need a step back and reset?

I don't think for a second she is being disingenuous, and to make a big step away from something you have focused on so much is not a step taken lightly.

Frankly, I'm pretty appalled by anyone questioning it. You have done with reason and eloquence - but it still feels unecessary and inappropriate.

I have noticed it as well, people using it as a buzz word and an excuse to get out of doing stuff. Or someone feeling a little bit down or someone wanting attention.

A lot of the young'ns say it far to easily.

I started the mental health thread on this site so I know poor mental health is real and I have genuine issues with it. But with better recognition and treatment comes people saying it for attention or to get benefits.
Agreed. Context is important. Defensive over analysis is counterproductive however.
This is not a skiving type situation. This isn't "I don't want to do the washing up today, so I'll claim anxiety."

Think you're in a better time zone for watching it than us.

Coverage is fragmented on the Beeb this year. I don't think they have the rights iirc. Secondary feed from Discovery I think.

Tokyo is one of the few cities on the same timeline as Melbourne/Sydney. I flew there for a weekend once, but that's for another thread, probably the vice den.

These Olympics came at a great time for us being in lockdown but a lot of the emphasis here is on the pool which I'm bored of now. I heard a stat on the news this morning, apparently every gold (or maybe even medal) Australia has won so far has been in the water. Get the track and field going!

Agreed. Context is important. Defensive over analysis is counterproductive however.
This is not a skiving type situation. This isn't "I don't want to do the washing up today, so I'll claim anxiety."

Not thos situation no. Put I am seeing it in some situations I encounter in everyday life. As you say it is knowing the context.

Not thos situation no. Put I am seeing it in some situations I encounter in everyday life. As you say it is knowing the context.
It's definitely something to be acutely aware of. There will naturally be some abuses, especially as medical resources and HR depts are way being the times.
But I'd rather have a few idiots cry wolf than the keep it bottled up culture of the past.

I think you are splitting hairs.
One thing we should all know and understand now is it's important to listen and respect people when they talk about health issues; support, not overanalyze.

I know my "underperformance" in life is often a trigger to take a step back and assess where I am right now. Is it just a dip? Or do I need a step back and reset?

I don't think for a second she is being disingenuous, and to make a big step away from something you have focused on so much is not a step taken lightly.

Frankly, I'm pretty appalled by anyone questioning it. You have done with reason and eloquence - but it still feels unecessary and inappropriate.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her choice at all trust me, just the phrase itself about mental health being more prevalent in sport now, I do think she means the awareness of it, as in it's talked about more but I may have misread it completely. It's just that like physical health, mental health has always been a big part of sports..

Quite possibly, that would suggest a poor career choice then.

Given she's the greatest living/ever Olympic gymnast, I would suggest you're wrong.

Putting it mildly, if you get one of her routines wrong, you could well and truly fcuk yourself up. She has the weight of a nation on her shoulders, same with Naomi Osaka and when you look at how it affected the original Ronaldo prior the World Cup final, it's clear that we have zero clue as to what she is experiencing prior to making a decision like she has.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tal-block-which-puts-gymnasts-at-serious-risk

Given she's the greatest living/ever Olympic gymnast, I would suggest you're wrong.

Putting it mildly, if you get one of her routines wrong, you could well and truly fcuk yourself up. She has the weight of a nation on her shoulders, same with Naomi Osaka and when you look at how it affected the original Ronaldo prior the World Cup final, it's clear that we have zero clue as to what she is experiencing prior to making a decision like she has.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tal-block-which-puts-gymnasts-at-serious-risk
If she couldn't jump, or spin, or whatever the fudge she has to do for her sport then we'd all be saying she should be doing something else.

The same goes for the ability to cope mentally - that's all part of competing and if she doesn't have what it takes, she has chosen poorly.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her choice at all trust me, just the phrase itself about mental health being more prevalent in sport now, I do think she means the awareness of it, as in it's talked about more but I may have misread it completely. It's just that like physical health, mental health has always been a big part of sports..

I think, just like anyone of that age, you have to give them latitude for phraseology. Often I find people cannot clearly articulate themselves, especially when they're having trouble recognizing what is going on within themselves.

Personally, I give her all the latitude and support as long as she is OK in the end of it.

If she couldn't jump, or spin, or whatever the fudge she has to do for her sport then we'd all be saying she should be doing something else.

The same goes for the ability to cope mentally - that's all part of competing and if she doesn't have what it takes, she has chosen poorly.

Why do you care (well, obviously you don't because you lack any empathy whatsoever) but more specifically, why does her story have you caring enough to comment?
How does her choice affect your life?
Do you know more about her life than we might assume?
Why is this even an issue for you?
Or is it just another chance to deliver one of your patent "Scara We Will Fight Then On The Beaches When I Was A Boy We Walked a 1000 Miles In Cardboard Shoes In The Cold And Never Once Complained Stiff Upper Lip" commentaries?

Why do you care (well, obviously you don't because you lack any empathy whatsoever) but more specifically, why does her story have you caring enough to comment?
How does her choice affect your life?
Do you know more about her life than we might assume?
Why is this even an issue for you?
Or is it just another chance to deliver one of your patent "Scara We Will Fight Then On The Beaches When I Was A Boy We Walked a 1000 Miles In Cardboard Shoes In The Cold And Never Once Complained Stiff Upper Lip" commentaries?
Because mental health is a very, very serious issue and it rarely gets treated with the respect it needs and deserves.

It's not a term to be thrown around lightly and certainly not something that should be used in the sense of "I didn't do as well as I wanted to, so mental health"

Because mental health is a very, very serious issue and it rarely gets treated with the respect it needs and deserves.

It's not a term to be thrown around lightly and certainly not something that should be used in the sense of "I didn't do as well as I wanted to, so mental health"

Are mental health issues only what you define them to be?
Again, do you know more about her specific circumstances and reasons, or are you just drawing conclusions and making assumptions?...

The triathlon looked absolutely brutal. Norwegian winner was puking his guts after. Decent silver for our chap.

Saw a bit of this, when they started there was a boat blocking off half of them from even getting into the water but they blew the gun anway and some people had already swam 150m out before they got told. Absolute amateur organising.

Australia v Great Britain in the women’s football just kicking off. The first time we’ve ever met at a tournament in either men’s or women’s football I believe (maybe not that impressive as GB, but I don’t believe we’ve played any of the individual nations either. Maybe Scotland?)

Australia v Great Britain in the women’s football just kicking off. The first time we’ve ever met at a tournament in either men’s or women’s football I believe (maybe not that impressive as GB, but I don’t believe we’ve played any of the individual nations either. Maybe Scotland?)

I am convinced I saw a friendly so not tournament football, between England and Australia at Upton Park.

Back