• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I wish they'd stop with the repetitive question about undoing the lockdown.

Anyone can plainly see it'll be at least another 14 days before they'll even look at the situation.

What are you expecting them to say. Something to trip them up with?

I wish they'd stop with the repetitive question about undoing the lockdown.

Anyone can plainly see it'll be at least another 14 days before they'll even look at the situation.

What are you expecting them to say. Something to trip them up with?

There's a review of the situation next week but the decision will be to extend it.

One of my work colleagues Mrs is a teacher and she has been told to prepare for a June return to school
Really hope this is true

Would be surprised if there is any physical school until next academic year - September. It is possible though.

I think this is slightly misleading, as it looks like 50% of the deaths are not being counted. It's not extra deaths, but a measure of how the daily hospital death figures differ from the final tallies. This is mostly because of a lag in reporting. There are additional deaths but the two ONS reports had them at 25% (week to March 20; "40 more than the 170 announced by the NHS at that stage") and 8% (for week to March 27).

Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional: week ending 27 March 2020

Main points
  • The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 27 March 2020 (Week 13) was 11,141; this represents an increase of 496 deaths registered compared with the previous week (Week 12) and 1,011 more than the five-year average.

• A total of 150,047 deaths were registered in England and Wales between 28 December 2019 and 27 March 2020 (year to date), and of these, 647 involved the coronavirus (COVID-19) (0.4%); including deaths that occurred up to 27 March but were registered up to 1 April, the number involving COVID-19 was 1,639.

• For deaths that occurred up to 27 March, there were 1,568 deaths in England registered by 1 April involving COVID-19 compared with 1,649 deaths reported by NHS England for the same period in a newly published dataset.

• Of the deaths registered in Week 13, 539 mentioned "novel coronavirus (COVID-19)", which is 4.8% of all deaths; this compared with 103 (1.0% of all deaths) in Week 12.

• This is slightly lower than the figures reported by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) for Week 13 (739) as it takes time for deaths to be reported and included in Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures.

• Of deaths involving COVID-19 in Week 13, 92.9% (501 deaths) occurred in hospital with the remainder occurring in hospices, care homes and private homes.

I think this is slightly misleading, as it looks like 50% of the deaths are not being counted. It's not extra deaths, but a measure of how the daily hospital death figures differ from the final tallies, mainly because of a lag in reporting. There are additional deaths but the two ONS reports had them at 25% (week to March 20; "40 more than the 170 announced by the NHS at that stage") and 8% (for week to March 27).

Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional: week ending 27 March 2020

I know and he goes on to talk about that in the thread.

Seriously? Did you read the article? Sounds like to me they had countless opportunities to take decisive action, dating back to January but they failed to either take the advice or ask the right questions.

To me this article outlines failing upon failing of the government and their advisor's. Too weak to implement a lockdown until another European country did it first. That's not leadership.

Then there's quotes like this:

"With Brexit done, Johnson had the chance to focus on other matters the following month, among them the emerging virus threat. But leaving the European Union had a consequence.

Between February 13 and March 30, Britain missed a total of eight conference calls or meetings about the coronavirus between EU heads of state or health ministers - meetings that Britain was still entitled to join. Although Britain did later make an arrangement to attend lower-level meetings of officials, it had missed a deadline to participate in a common purchase scheme for ventilators, to which it was invited. Ventilators, vitally important to treating the direst cases of COVID-19, have fallen into short supply globally. Johnson’s spokesman blamed an administrative error."
Fail.

and...

“You would have thought that they would be bashing down the door,” said the executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity. By April 5, Britain had carried out 195,524 tests, in contrast to at least 918,000 completed a week earlier in Germany.

Nor was there an effective effort to expand the supply of ventilators. The Department of Health told Reuters in a statement that the government started talking to manufacturers of ventilators about procuring extra supplies in February. But it was not until March 16, after it was clear supplies could run out, that Johnson launched an appeal to industry to help ramp up production."
Fail.

It's failing upon failing. The lack of testing and supplies being an utter cluster fudge.

It seems clear to me they have been given conflicting advice on what to do by scientists. Certain actions they could have inacted earlier but on the whole it is to many scientists acting out because they have had the moment in the spotlight.

One of my work colleagues Mrs is a teacher and she has been told to prepare for a June return to school
Really hope this is true

Would be surprised if there is any physical school until next academic year - September. It is possible though.

I agree, and that's what we've been preparing for as a family, positive thoughts though !!!

There is meant to be a split in Cabinet on this. It's reported that Rishi Sunak is keen on schools returning before the summer holidays. If we are still pursuing a heard immunity strategy, although controlled, the schools returning would be one of the lower risk ways of doing that.

It seems clear to me they have been given conflicting advice on what to do by scientists. Certain actions they could have inacted earlier but on the whole it is to many scientists acting out because they have had the moment in the spotlight.

I think that the question should have been, why are you telling me to do something different than the WHO advise and other countries are doing? This should have also been published and shared with the public.

I think that the question should have been, why are you telling me to do something different than the WHO advise and other countries are doing? This should have also been published and shared with the public.

I agree and had i been prime minister i would just have followed other countries and the WHO. But scientists were advising the government anither way.

I did not vote Johnson im not a supporter. But the thing to learn from this is better advice from scientists, maybe having more of them and finding a way to streamline the proccess.

Things to learn for next time for sure, but think the government have done generally ok.

I don't believe so. It is being done by the Cabinet Secretary, I think and will be a Cabinet decision.
BBC...
He had said a relaxation of the rules would be considered in three weeks, which would be 13 April.

But on Tuesday, Downing Street suggested that the review would not go ahead on the scheduled date and would instead take place after the three-week mark.

Mr Argar told BBC Breakfast on Wednesday: "We need to start seeing the numbers coming down and that's when you're in the negative.

"That's when you have a sense when that's sustained over a period of time, that you can see it coming out of that. We're not there yet and I don't exactly know when we will be."

I agree and had i been prime minister i would just have followed other countries and the WHO. But scientists were advising the government anither way.

I did not vote Johnson im not a supporter. But the thing to learn from this is better advice from scientists, maybe having more of them and finding a way to streamline the proccess.

Things to learn for next time for sure, but think the government have done generally ok.
Not saying they are choosing the right method but just for balance are Spain , Italy ,USA etc following the WHO advice. (Not forgetting Sweden)?

Not saying they are choosing the right method but just for balance are Spain , Italy ,USA etc following the WHO advice. (Not forgetting Sweden)?

The WHO are just that though an organization made up of relevant professionals who are no more accredited than the professionals who advise the UK government (their thinking may be more global in nature and perhaps they have access to more data) but if the UK government as we're led to believe (not disputed by any of the UK political parties) followed their own scientists recommendations then they haven't done anything wrong. It simply comes down to which experts should you believe in which is quite a big debate.

Don't forget the WHO didn't consider it a pandemic until 11 March, past what a lot of people were saying at the time. Their reasons were it hadn't gone global enough to be considered a pandemic yet under their guidelines so they too have a set of criteria they look out for which are likely different than ours and some other countries. Same with the face masks which they don't advise yet some countries are legally enforcing.

I agree, and that's what we've been preparing for as a family, positive thoughts though !!!

Do you have a garden?

Buy food that can be sown (cant buy seeds anywhere), get kids involved, put them in charge of growing food, and feeding the family !

I feel for anyone with kids and no outdoor space. Have to plan some amazing things to keep them occupied.

Schools returning end of June to give the kids 4 weeks - if this is possible - and it not leading to a huge spike and bringing forward an early 2nd phase lockdown - will possibly be massive towards helping with some of the other health issues that will arise from long periods of lockdown.

Back