• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Controversial poll

Was Levy right sacking Redknapp?

• Yes

Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 34.7%

• Total voters
If people didn't want Redknapp from day 1 and stuck to that despite the (relative ;) ) success he brought then that to me is fair as it goes beyond the football and becomes personal reasons (which can't really be argued against, im sure there must be someone out there who you would similarly despise to see in charge of our club)

i don't like Redknapp the man and was not happy when he was appointed. however he went on to prove my misconceptions on his managerial abilities to be very wide of the mark (not totally i hasten to add) and come the mid point of the 11/12 season i was fully behind him getting a new contract. what followed, as has been discussed at length many many times, totally destroyed that for me.

How is it fair exactly? Scara for one is always having a go at anyone who wasn't an AVB believer when in reality all they did is exactly what he did with Redknapp so you tell me what is the difference?

Of course there are managers I wouldn't want at Spurs, but I would like to think I would change my tune even a LITTLE if he got us top 4 or perhaps better and proved me wrong to an extent. "Serious relegation fears" enough said :)

But he was sacked for non football reasons it seems. The aim was a top 4 finish and we got that. The same aim was set for the next coach (AVB said as much). To me that is what's wrong. I can't get my head around fans thinking it has proven to be the right decision for the good of the club. It's as if we sacked Redknapp for disloyalty, but it cost us more than it was worth. I can't see why people think that was the right decision.

Agree.

Ideally you'd have both HR and AVB. HR needed someone like AVB to compile tactical reports and help him with that side of the job imo - as he did so successfully for Mourinho first time round at chel$ea

How is it fair exactly? Scara for one is always having a go at anyone who wasn't an AVB believer when in reality all they did is exactly what he did with Redknapp so you tell me what is the difference?

Of course there are managers I wouldn't want at Spurs, but I would like to think I would change my tune even a LITTLE if he got us top 4 or perhaps better and proved me wrong to an extent. "Serious relegation fears" enough said :)

you'll have to ask Scara why mate, not my position to speak for him or his reasoning.

what Im saying is that if someone dislikes Redknapp (or whoever) enough that it reduces their enjoyment following Spurs and then they stick to that throughout any successes he has then at least they are being consistent.

an example we could possibly all relate to would be if Campbell was brought back in as a player (or manager i guess in the future) would certainly stop me from enjoying things

But he was sacked for non football reasons it seems. The aim was a top 4 finish and we got that.

The aim was never 4th, it was CL qualification.

Levy screwed up in basing Redknapp's bonuses on 4th, so when it came to the crunch, good old 'Arry took the bonus rather than risk it to guarantee CL qualification.

It isn't petty. Conversely, it actually IS about what is best for the club. There were aspects of Harry's managerial style that were going to cause problems in the not-too-distant future - the lack of scouting, the filling up of the squad with ageing high earners, the non existance of any future plans. And underpinning these issues was Harry's ego, his insistance that nobody could tell him how to do his job. That needed to change.

Sadly, that will never change. Jamie's interview confirmed that. It wasn't pettiness, it was confirmation of my fears.

None of this has any basis. It's as if we've gone back to the baseless arguments we had 2 years ago.

How can you say we have no scouting? What was Broomfields job? Of course we had good scouting otherwise we would have signed the good players we did. You think Vertonghen (was at our last home game of the season under Harry) and Sandro were poor signings? Fans complained about lack of non Prem players being brought in. This season we've 7 come in at once. Yet again have our fans learned nothing from this?

We weren't filling the squad with high earning aging players. We had a balance between age and youth. The only older players we brought on decent contracts were Gallas, Friedal and Parker. They all proved to be good signings. Parker was named our POTY and Friedal was given a contract extension after Redknapp left. Gallas was a free transfer who played 62 times for us. Ironically our new coach preferred to pick him over Steven Caulker.

Of course we had future plans. Look how well we used the loan system. But Redknapp wasn't in charge of running the whole club. He was part of things and it was going very well.

Did anyone tell SAF or Wenger to do their jobs? Most successful people have an ego. Wanting to sack someone for having an ego and still being pleased about after it back fires is something I just can't get my head around.

Levy screwed up in basing Redknapp's bonuses on 4th, so when it came to the crunch, good old 'Arry took the bonus rather than risk it to guarantee CL qualification.

so , in your opinion, the aim was 3rd is what you are saying. correct?

or was is 4th and chelsea dont win the CL...that would have been mission statemnet accomplished?

That is the craziest argument I've heard yet!

I think even before the england debacle a lot of fans were questioning whether Redknapp had taken us as far as he could and that having a manager with a system and better tactics would push us towards a proper title challenge as we couldnt just go out and buy the best players. There was also obviously tension between Harry and the board with regard to signings and having a DOF. The way things ended, Harry had to go.

how does anyone know that Harry didnt have any scouting going on?

and did harry ONLY buy ageing players? or were most of his transfers primarily ageing players?
cause we can go ahead and dig out the transfers under harry and find out how many were 29 and above

even if he did buy ageing players...how many of his transfers were truly **** and completely useless and a rough estimate of the figure over the total sum of players purchased would show what? an effective transfer policy or not?

dont know about his future plans and quite frankly neither does anyone else

Of course we had future plans. Look how well we used the loan system. But Redknapp wasn't in charge of running the whole club. He was part of things and it was going very well.

Did anyone tell SAF or Wenger to do their jobs? Most successful people have an ego. Wanting to sack someone for having an ego and still being pleased about after it back fires is something I just can't get my head around.

The people (or perhaps person) best placed to make that judgement clearly disagreed with you.

The comparisons with SAF & Wenger are frankly ridiculous. It's fair to say that they proved their loyalty and dedication to their respective employers, something Harry never quite managed to convince too many people about at Spurs.

I think even before the england debacle a lot of fans were questioning whether Redknapp had taken us as far as he could and that having a manager with a system and better tactics would push us towards a proper title challenge as we couldnt just go out and buy the best players. There was also obviously tension between Harry and the board with regard to signings and having a DOF. The way things ended, Harry had to go.

As I said at the time, careful what you wish for.

Levy will pull something out the hat. He always does. But we missed an opportunity to build on a good team at that juncture. We'll never know for sure, but we could have done what the Ars e did, and benefit from stability, plus one or two signings, to take a step forward. Instead we've gone backwards. I don't think it is really contestable that we've gone backwards. Yet two-thirds of people seem to think otherwise.

so , in your opinion, the aim was 3rd is what you are saying. correct?

or was is 4th and chelsea dont win the CL...that would have been mission statemnet accomplished?
At the end of that season we had 4 immensely winnable games against some right ****e, which had we won them would've put us 3rd, the Scum 4th, and they'd have been the ones getting shat on by Bayern's **** penalties. It would've been the sweetest moment in, err, history ;)

But we balked it at Villa.

In answer to the original question, probably not. It seems a running theme with Levy that I feel rather sorry for the manager getting slung out, but what difference does it make now, it's done and gone.

The people (or perhaps person) best placed to make that judgement clearly disagreed with you.

The comparisons with SAF & Wenger are frankly ridiculous. It's fair to say that they proved their loyalty and dedication to their respective employers, something Harry never quite managed to convince too many people about at Spurs.

why would he need to do that when he was signed on a short term basis AND he said ...on more than one occasion that if the england job came about that he would take it

he was as transparent as the day is bright. If the board wanted someone that would be there longer then they were right to let go of him but i think that if they wanted to keep what he had created for as long as possible while finding someone to transition that over to then i think an error was made

Haven't read this thread through yet, but I will say that for the massive dereliction of duty the Beloved 'Arry 'performed' two seasons in a row, I am deighted we canned him. How soon people forget that this guy was ready to walk off happily until he found out he wouldn't get the job, whence he tried to get right back in there and 'demand' a contract. FFS! You cannot trust that! HARRY broke my heart because he COULD'VE been THE MAN. He and HE ONLY elected against that.

One thing about AVB. The guy tried his ****ing heart out and never hitched his skirt for a better option.

Spot on imo.

At the end of that season we had 4 immensely winnable games against some right ****e, which had we won them would've put us 3rd, the Scum 4th, and they'd have been the ones getting shat on by Bayern's **** penalties. It would've been the sweetest moment in, err, history ;)

But we balked it at Villa.

In answer to the original question, probably not. It seems a running theme with Levy that I feel rather sorry for the manager getting slung out, but what difference does it make now, it's done and gone.

not disputing any of that...but tragedy happens all the time.......at the end though Harry made top 4 which i thought was always the remit

i think the dissapintment of losing out on CL is what brought about the new imagined target of "CL qualificATION not 4th"

its done and gone true, but this thread exists right NOW :lol: best make the most of it while its still alive

why would he need to do that when he was signed on a short term basis AND he said ...on more than one occasion that if the england job came about that he would take it

he was as transparent as the day is bright. If the board wanted someone that would be there longer then they were right to let go of him but i think that if they wanted to keep what he had created for as long as possible while finding someone to transition that over to then i think an error was made

I'm not a million miles away from agreeing with you on your last point, but there's clear contradiction between you saying that Harry didn't need to show us any kind of commitment on the one hand, and the resentment he & his supporters feel towards the club, and DL, on the other.

And yes, I know we could chase that particular point round in circles all night...!

The people making the judgement seem to have got it wrong. It's not the first time they have either. Using the opinion of the Spurs board regarding managerial hiring and firing as a defense is about as weak an argument as you can make!

You suggested that Harry had an ego problem and cited that no one could tell him how to do his job as evidence of this. So my Wenger and SAF comparisons are perfectly apt.

Back