• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Controversial poll

Was Levy right sacking Redknapp?

• Yes

Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 34.7%

• Total voters
I think it was wrong, but can understand you being of that opinion at time. But surely with the benefit of hindsight, you have no choice but to change your mind. We've gone backwards and played terrible football. How can removing a manager that took us twice into the top 4, the CL 1/4 finals and whilst playing great football be the right decision, when 18 months later, you are in 7th, having previously finished 5th and played really awful football? It just makes no sense. The only way the decision could be seen as the right one is if we finished in the top 3 and played amazing football.

You are right and you are wrong. Yes we played some good football and we have gone backwards in terms of playing style but not in regards to points haul and wins. What narked me with Redknapp was him obviously wanting the England Job. As soon as he did that I wanted him out. Loyalty whilst you are at the club you are at until you leave. I had no time for him after that. Ironically i wish he was the England Manager as im sure we would be playing better than under Roy. But as soon as he wanted to move on he made his bed.

he had his chance, he did very very well, he got us into a great position which we let slip, he then failed to learn any of the lessons from that and carried on exactly the same the following season and made exactly the same mistake's again, condemning us to another embarrassing collapse

I'm surprised how one sided the results are. We don't know exactly what went on behind the scenes. But Spurs were playing good entertaining football. And winning! Players were expressing themselves. We had a foundation that you could see us build upon then. If we'd had stability and slow development, I think we'd be up there with the ****.

You are right and you are wrong. Yes we played some good football and we have gone backwards in terms of playing style but not in regards to points haul and wins. What narked me with Redknapp was him obviously wanting the England Job. As soon as he did that I wanted him out. Loyalty whilst you are at the club you are at until you leave. I had no time for him after that. Ironically i wish he was the England Manager as im sure we would be playing better than under Roy. But as soon as he wanted to move on he made his bed.

But that still doesn't mean it was right to sack him. Personally I was never bothered by those issue's but I can understand why some fans were angered. But in terms of what it best for the club, it's surely been proven to be the wrong decision. It's a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I think it's fine to dislike Redknapp, but find it difficult to see how his actions mean it was right to sack him.

At the end of the day, wouldn't you rather see is doing well with a manger you don't like and are angry with than doing less well with someone else? I think that is the question that needs to be asked and if everyone did that, I think the result of this poll would be very different.

Points hauls and wins count for nothing. The league is a comparison with other teams. If all your top 4 rivals are seeing similar points hauls and win improvements then it tells you more about the current strength of the league than anything else. Of the top 4 rivals we improved the least and were starting to be overhauled by teams who were previously below us. There is no point improving point hauls if Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton are improving at a faster rate. We need to ask why they are improving quicker than us, when previously it was us making the biggest strides forward.

Basically I fully understand why you feel Redknapp needed to be punished with the sack, but ultimately I think everyone has to admit that is backfired on us. But given the hatred many have of Redknapp, I can't imagine many will do that, hence we will end up with this bizarre poll result.

joey - yes it has backfired in the sense that we haven't instantly improved, however that does not make the decision to sack him the wrong one.

IMV:
sacking Redknapp - correct
appointing AVB - incorrect (well id like to add that i still feel he should have had the remainder of the season, but as he is now gone you can only deem his time here a failure based on what has happened over the time he has had)

he had his chance, he did very very well, he got us into a great position which we let slip, he then failed to learn any of the lessons from that and carried on exactly the same the following season and made exactly the same mistake's again, condemning us to another embarrassing collapse

He lacked a big enough squad. Yes he took his eye off the ball a little with the England ******** and court case, but that doesn't condemn him. Who wouldn't?

My gripes with HR - too slow to make subs, not tactically aware enough (for example scouting opponents, adapting our play for different opponents), slightly dodgy transfers, runs his mouth off - in fact that was his undoing imo) But the answer to the poll, in hindsight, is definitely No! Our play and entertainment value regressed and we're now in total limbo. How can it be anything other than No, unless you think AVB did well?

Last edited:

Isn't that exactly what you have done? Haven't you learned it's better to have collapse and finish 4th, than it is to have no collapse and not finish in the top 4?

You'd have thought after the Ramos affair our fans would have learned a lesson, but once again many wanted a better "tactician" or coach than Redknapp.

Fans always seem to bang on about people in the game not learning their lesson, but what about the fans themselves?

joey - yes it has backfired in the sense that we haven't instantly improved, however that does not make the decision to sack him the wrong one.

We've gone backwards. It's not like we are treading water. In as far as we can see, based in the evidence we have, it's was the wrong decision.

The truth is no one ever wants to back down and least of all when someone like Redknapp is involved. I think many fans would rather gouge their own eyes out than admit sacking Redknapp was the wrong decision.

IMV:
sacking Redknapp - correct
appointing AVB - incorrect (well id like to add that i still feel he should have had the remainder of the season, but as he is now gone you can only deem his time here a failure based on what has happened over the time he has had)

I can't really disagree too much. You wanted Redknapp out but you're not irrational and make some 100% valid points about why he was sacked. BUT, still to this day I believe there were and still are some Spurs fans not just on here but in real life who never wanted him and couldn't stand his personality so they went out of their way to try and belittle what he achieved and set completely unrealisitc targets knowing he wouldn't be able to meet them, thereby giving Levy no option but to get rid of him. I really find it a shame how some couldn't enjoy the football we played under him or the success he brought because they don't have the ******** to admit they were wrong about him.

The result of this poll to date show how pathetic fans can be. Is it so hard to admit you were wrong?

Not at all. I strongly favoured bringing in AVB. I was very, very wrong.

But to simplify it down to 'Harry = good / AVB = bad' isn't it. There were numerous issues with Redknapp that brought his position into question, most of them down to good old Henry and the way that he conducted himself.

I actually found myself wondering earlier about the prospect of a return......until I saw Jamie's outburst on Sky. He (and, therefore, more than likely, his father) clearly has a pretty big resentment against us, believing Harry did absolutely nothing questionable, and was an innocent victim of Big Bad Daniel Levy.

I'd have taken Redknapp (similar scenario with Hoddle actually) back if I thought for a minute he'd reflected on some of what brought the situation about, and held his hands up to his shortcomings. I now don't think for a minute that's likely to happen, though.

We've gone backwards. It's not like we are treading water. In as far as we can see, based in the evidence we have, it's was the wrong decision.

The truth is no one ever wants to back down and least of all when someone like Redknapp is involved. I think many fans would rather gouge their own eyes out than admit sacking Redknapp was the wrong decision.

again i don't agree that it was the wrong decision, so your summary that people don't want to admit they were wrong, to me, doesn't add up.

Redknapp was sacked for the reasons he was sacked - we then searched for a replacement. the subsequent success or failure of his replacement has no bearing whatsoever on whether the reasons he was sacked were just. If you want to argue that those reasons were wrong then go ahead, but AVBs failure is no evidence

again i don't agree that it was the wrong decision, so your summary that people don't want to admit they were wrong, to me, doesn't add up.

Redknapp was sacked for the reasons he was sacked - we then searched for a replacement. the subsequent success or failure of his replacement has no bearing whatsoever on whether the reasons he was sacked were just. If you want to argue that those reasons were wrong then go ahead, but AVBs failure is no evidence

No one has a crystal ball. But we can learn from history and make judgements based on hindsight. In hindsight, it is fair to say, we did not push on, or advance under ABV. And recently we showed signs of really dropping back. For a year the team has been less than the sum of its parts. With HR we had a team.

Not at all. I strongly favoured bringing in AVB. I was very, very wrong.

But to simplify it down to 'Harry = good / AVB = bad' isn't it. There were numerous issues with Redknapp that brought his position into question, most of them down to good old Henry and the way that he conducted himself.

I actually found myself wondering earlier about the prospect of a return......until I saw Jamie's outburst on Sky. He (and, therefore, more than likely, his father) clearly has a pretty big resentment against us, believing Harry did absolutely nothing questionable, and was an innocent victim of Big Bad Daniel Levy.

I'd have taken Redknapp (similar scenario with Hoddle actually) back if I thought for a minute he'd reflected on some of what brought the situation about, and held his hands up to his shortcomings. I now don't think for a minute that's likely to happen, though.

But again this all seems to be petty. It's as if fans care more about punishing Redknapp than what it best for us as a club. You even admit that you thought about his return until you saw Jamie speaking. Why do fans put petty things like this ahead of what is bets for the football team? It seems bat **** crazy to me that fans care more about their dislike of how a manager conducts himself than the football team he produces. I could understand it and would endorse if Redknapp was a poedo or murderer. But his biggest crime seems to be he speaks to the media too much and had ambitions to manage his country.

Last edited:
I can't really disagree too much. You wanted Redknapp out but you're not irrational and make some 100% valid points about why he was sacked. BUT, still to this day I believe there were and still are some Spurs fans not just on here but in real life who never wanted him and couldn't stand his personality so they went out of their way to try and belittle what he achieved and set completely unrealisitc targets knowing he wouldn't be able to meet them, thereby giving Levy no option but to get rid of him. I really find it a shame how some couldn't enjoy the football we played under him or the success he brought because they don't have the ******** to admit they were wrong about him.

If people didn't want Redknapp from day 1 and stuck to that despite the (relative ;) ) success he brought then that to me is fair as it goes beyond the football and becomes personal reasons (which can't really be argued against, im sure there must be someone out there who you would similarly despise to see in charge of our club)

i don't like Redknapp the man and was not happy when he was appointed. however he went on to prove my misconceptions on his managerial abilities to be very wide of the mark (not totally i hasten to add) and come the mid point of the 11/12 season i was fully behind him getting a new contract. what followed, as has been discussed at length many many times, totally destroyed that for me.

No one has a crystal ball. But we can learn from history and make judgements based on hindsight. In hindsight, it is fair to say, we did not push on, or advance under ABV. And recently we showed signs of really dropping back. For a year the team has been less than the sum of its parts. With HR we had a team.

it's just a shame we had a manager day dreaming for several months that he'd no longer be apart of it.

But he was sacked for non football reasons it seems. The aim was a top 4 finish and we got that. The same aim was set for the next coach (AVB said as much). To me that is what's wrong. I can't get my head around fans thinking it has proven to be the right decision for the good of the club. It's as if we sacked Redknapp for disloyalty, but it cost us more than it was worth. I can't see why people think that was the right decision. If Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season, I seriously doubt their fans will regret keeping Suarez and he was far worse than Redknapp. At the same time, I doubt our fans will feel as if Liverpool are worse off than us for compromising themselves by putting up with Suarez, when we got rid of our traitor.

But again this all seems to petty. It's as if fans care more about punishing Redknapp than what it best for us as a club. You even admit that you though about his return until you saw Jamie speaking. Why do fans put petty things like this ahead of what is bets for the football team? It seem bat **** crazy to me that fans care more about their dislike of how a manager conducts himself than the football team he produces. I could understand it and would endorse if Redknapp was a poedo or murderer. But his biggest crime seems to be he speaks to the media too much and had ambitions to manage his country.

It isn't petty. Conversely, it actually IS about what is best for the club. There were aspects of Harry's managerial style that were going to cause problems in the not-too-distant future - the lack of scouting, the filling up of the squad with ageing high earners, the non existance of any future plans. And underpinning these issues was Harry's ego, his insistance that nobody could tell him how to do his job. That needed to change.

Sadly, that will never change. Jamie's interview confirmed that. It wasn't pettiness, it was confirmation of my fears.

Back