• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Comolli sacked from the bindippers?

There's a theory going round that he was sacked because the new Manager they've identified to come in to replace Dalglish doesn't want a DoF in place.

J Cruyff and L Van Gaal being linked with the Liverpool job.....jeez, this club really lives in the past

No, but you said he was tinkle-poor for us and I simply noted some of his transfers were very good buys.

No clue what transpired between him and Kenny

Comolli was a complete and utter failure for us. I dont care how many good players he signed, its not relevant. He could have signed the best 11 players in the world, but if those players dont fit into a balanced squad with players for each position, he has obviously failed. How can it be argued otherwise ?

How many people were happy with our team being rolled over each week. There was loads of quality in it, but light weight/young/too much flair etc etc it was a disaster.

And he has gone to Liverpool and done exactly the same. He hasnt built a squad, he has signed individual quality that doesnt fit into any sort of plan. He is obviously a good scout and negotiator, but he is clueless in building a squad to compete.

Comolli was a complete and utter failure for us. I dont care how many good players he signed, its not relevant. He could have signed the best 11 players in the world, but if those players dont fit into a balanced squad with players for each position, he has obviously failed. How can it be argued otherwise ?

How many people were happy with our team being rolled over each week. There was loads of quality in it, but light weight/young/too much flair etc etc it was a disaster.

And he has gone to Liverpool and done exactly the same. He hasnt built a squad, he has signed individual quality that doesnt fit into any sort of plan. He is obviously a good scout and negotiator, but he is clueless in building a squad to compete.

According to guardian article linked earlier in the thread he is not the great scout he makes out he is. He's nothing more than a smooth talker and networker with a CV full of half truths.

J Cruyff and L Van Gaal being linked with the Liverpool job.....jeez, this club really lives in the past
I'd physically throw up if a great like Cruyff goes to manage them lot. Although he does come across as a bit arrogant, I guess he can be given what he's achieved within the game!

That makes zero sense to put it mildly

He found good players for us - that is a fact. If the clueless bozo of a manager is unable to fit them in his team of extract their optinum form - surely he must shield the blame and not the DOF?

Look at F1 for example - engineers can fine-tune Button's car to the 't' but if he makes silly mistakes and crashes it - then who is to blame? The driver or his mechanics?

The venom towards Comolli is grossly unfair in my opinion

I'd physically throw up if a great like Cruyff goes to manage them lot. Although he does come across as a bit arrogant, I guess he can be given what he's achieved within the game!

it seems they are looking at Cruyff for the DoF role.....IF it happened, big IF, im not sure he could work with KKK

That makes zero sense to put it mildly

He found good players for us - that is a fact. If the clueless bozo of a manager is unable to fit them in his team of extract their optinum form - surely he must shield the blame and not the DOF?

Look at F1 for example - engineers can fine-tune Button's car to the 't' but if he makes silly mistakes and crashes it - then who is to blame? The driver or his mechanics?

The venom towards Comolli is grossly unfair in my opinion

It makes total sense. In your analogy what Comolli did was manage to acquire all the best mechanics in the land, but forget to hire a driver....

So it's down to Comolli to hire the manager?

Yes. But I wouldn't say the driver is the Manager personally. That would be the Team Manager. Bottom line is, if you sign 11 world class left backs for your first team, it's going to battle relegation. Comolli's biggest failure was being unable to identify and plug gaps in the first team with the required players.

Not quite so

He still found good to great players for us. I don't see how Ramos' perceived failure can be used to wipe that off the history books. He did some good deals for us, irrespective whether you harbour an irrational dislike towards some of his buys or not.

Last edited:
Not quie so

He still found good to great players for us. I don't see how Ramos' perceived failure can be used to wipe that off the history books. He did some good deals for us, irrespective whether you harbour an irrational dislike towards some of his buys or not.

Almost every Manager buys individually good and bad players. That's not what makes someone great in the transfer market. What makes someone great is their ability to identify specific weaknesses in the first team (then squad) and strengthen them. Comolli's transfer dealings can best be described as scattergun. It was almost like a decent player we could get becomes available, so we buy him regardless of whether that area needed strengthening or whether the new player is any better than the existing player in that slot.

And Ramos's failure is on Comolli's head because Comolli brought him in. He was Comolli's choice.

Finally I do believe that Comolli intentionally undermined Jol (just like I believe Arnesen intentionally undermined Santini, and Pleat intentionally undermined Hoddle).

Almost every Manager buys individually good and bad players. That's not what makes someone great in the transfer market. What makes someone great is their ability to identify specific weaknesses in the first team (then squad) and strengthen them.

I disagree.

The manger has a key role in identifying those 'weaknesses' in turn informing him and letting the DOF do his search. Jol was as much to blame for those gaps as Ramos.

Which areas did he fail to address so badly in your view - considering Zokora was brought in on the premise of some excellent displays and was on paper a good buy. Bear in mind we were nowhere near as 'lucrative' of a desitnation back then and were struggling to finish in the top half of the table more often than not

He brought good players for us - more so than Redknapp and Broomfield ever did in nearly 5 years now.

I disagree.

The manger has a key role in identifying those 'weaknesses' in turn informing him and letting the DOF do his search. Jol was as much to blame for those gaps as Ramos.

Which areas did he fail to address so badly in your view - considering Zokora was brought in on the premise of some excellent displays and was on paper a good buy. Bear in mind we were nowhere near as 'lucrative' of a desitnation back then and were struggling to finish in the top half of the table more often than not

He brought good players for us - more so than Redknapp and Broomfield ever did in nearly 5 years now.

I like the way you bring up Zokora, because it means you already know the biggest area he failed. Zokora was brought into replace Carrick. 5 games into the season it was obvious that Zokora wasn't up to the task and needed to be replaced. It took Harry to replace him, by bringing in Palacios.

The Berbatov fiasco was ridiculous too. If he genuinely believed that Pav was a Berbatov style player then he was tripping out of his mind. Bent and Bentley were a lot of money spent on players that just weren't required.

I am pretty confident that Jol would have spoken to Comolli about his desperate need for a new central midfielder! He had built his team around Carrick and it was Comolli's job to try and find a like for like style player or at least a more disciplined bog standard holding midfielder.

Left wing was a problem too (remember Bale was brought as a left back) that was never resolved under Comolli.

So to summarise

His 'bad' signings = failure of a DOF

His 'successful' signings = irrelevant since he managed some 'bad' ones too

:|

So to summarise

His 'bad' signings = failure of a DOF

His 'successful' signings = irrelevant since he managed some 'bad' ones too

:|

That's not what I said is it?

For me he was a bad director of football because:

It is the director of football's responsibility to plug gaps in the first team (not the manager like you think. The whole point of DoF is so there can be coninuation in philosophy, tactics and playing style from one head coach to the next - so the personnel required to achieve that is on the DoF's door. I believe that Comolli failed to do this for us and at the point of him being fired our squad was an unbalanced mess.

It is the DoF's job to identify the Manager that he wants to work under him, who will continue with the philosophy and style highlighted above. It seems harsh on Comolli that he was fired after his first and only management choice at Spurs failed though.

I freely admit I don't like the DoF role. It's just another cook in the kitchen and the more cooks the greater perpensity for arguments and disharmony at a club (in my opinion). But there is also little doubt in my mind that Arnesen benefited us massively, so I am not completely adverse to it. But I do believe Comolli just wasn't very good at it.

Back