• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Club mentality - domestic cups

I do not think anyone is suggesting that the FA Cup is/was a priority over league posistions, however to make as many changes as we did ( have done) over the years in cup games is not the way to go. imo

Also nobody is suggesting that levy or the coaching staff don't want to win domestic trophies.

Just they are not the priority. Which is pobably the same for the other big 6 clubs at the beginning of the season.

fudging hurts and our lack of trophies hurts. But that's football and I don't think our attitude to domestic cup competitions has been a problem over the years.
Conte can't have it both ways. He can't say the cup matters and then out out a team with so many changes. It's one or the other. To say "We'd like to win and be in the quarters but it isn't a priority" is insulting flimflam. All round our stadium it says "The game is about glory". Glory equates to winning, and as we've never challenged consistently for the League, wining at Spurs was all about the cups -it was what once made us a great club. Now? Mediocre performance in cups. Winning teams win consistently, so I won't be at all surprised if we lose on Saturday, in which case, what is the roulette/rotation for?
For me Conte's team selection is a kick in the teeth for what matters to the fans, and is completely counter-productive.

I would suggest it was more that we had a run of 5 losses in 6 and lost to a team in Europe whose manager was in prison. Probably more to do with the tactics deployed at home against mid table fodder of zero chances and his delusion that we were the "better side" in many of those games. Or maybe it was never using a talent like Bale who was paid a fortune whose performance ironically blew up when Jose left and he actually played.

I mean there are more reasons to support the reason he was sacked than there are about those rumours

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk
The timing of the sacking absolutely tells us that it was because he was going to rest players for the PL game to give the best possible chance to win the cup final.

fudging hurts and our lack of trophies hurts. But that's football and I don't think our attitude to domestic cup competitions has been a problem over the years.
Conte can't have it both ways. He can't say the cup matters and then out out a team with so many changes. It's one or the other. To say "We'd like to win and be in the quarters but it isn't a priority" is insulting flimflam. All round our stadium it says "The game is about glory". Glory equates to winning, and as we've never challenged consistently for the League, wining at Spurs was all about the cups -it was what once made us a great club. Now? Mediocre performance in cups. Winning teams win consistently, so I won't be at all surprised if we lose on Saturday, in which case, what is the roulette/rotation for?
For me Conte's team selection is a kick in the teeth for what matters to the fans, and is completely counter-productive.

It's not conte. It's not levy. It is how fudged football is. Sheffield utd put out a weakened squad. Why? Not because of illness, that was bs. Because finishing 2nd will get them promoted to the prem.

You want improvements to the squad? That costs money. You want to keep kane? That costs money. We aren't owned by oligarchs. Cl is where the money is.

If the fa cup was a priority we would have played the strongest team possible no matter the opposition.

Someone said.

It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club – a club like Tottenham Hotspur – if we're not in Europe…. we're nothing. We're nothing.”

(Not talking about brexit)

Thats still true, if you replace Europe, with, The Champions League

Thats still true, if you replace Europe, with, The Champions League

We could survive. Chelsea are going to have to do a lot of work in the summer if they don't get it. Especially if they sack potter. They've already asked the prem if they can be let off ffp due to roman being sanctioned.

Why would he? Sure mendez was somehow involved. Probably supplying coke and lap dancers while they were having the meetings.

My point is we don’t know what got him sacked, Levy interfering in team selections seems as equally unlikely imo.

The timing of the sacking absolutely tells us that it was because he was going to rest players for the PL game to give the best possible chance to win the cup final.
So does our disastrous form at the time and getting shleped by wormwood scrubs XI but alas people can believe twitter rumours if they like

So you are saying our league form was more important than a cup final?
No I'm saying losing 5 out of 6 and getting binned out of Europe against a managerless team and his turgid style of football was enough to get binned...

That and being an absolutely massive cnut
Good try though

Last edited:
No I'm saying losing 5 out of 6 and getting binned out of Europe against a managerless team and his turgid style of football was enough to get binned...Good try though

Yes the form was pants. The football wasn't pants. But none of us expected him to get sacked when he did.

If the fa cup was a priority we would have played the strongest team possible no matter the opposition.

Someone said.

It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club – a club like Tottenham Hotspur – if we're not in Europe…. we're nothing. We're nothing.”

(Not talking about brexit)

I guess that means the FA Cup isn't a priority for any big club as they all rotate in the early rounds

While I don't disagree that it's about winning, for me it's about mounting a serious challenge and not just shafting the fans to line one's pockets. A league cup would be great, FA cup even better, but playing in the CL final was magic. No we didn't win, but just being in the final where each and every team in all of Europe would love to be and some spend billions to get to, that made me proud. That was glory for me.

But mounting a challenge isn't about trying to win everything, it's about giving your best where it counts. Right now we are not title challengers and even less so CL final material. So to take the domestic cups seriously, that's the least we could do in my book. This was disappointing. If everything is about getting top 4 to be able to pay the wages of players whose only goal is to get top 4 and rinse and repeat, what's the point?

While I don't disagree that it's about winning, for me it's about mounting a serious challenge and not just shafting the fans to line one's pockets. A league cup would be great, FA cup even better, but playing in the CL final was magic. No we didn't win, but just being in the final where each and every team in all of Europe would love to be and some spend billions to get to, that made me proud. That was glory for me.

But mounting a challenge isn't about trying to win everything, it's about giving your best where it counts. Right now we are not title challengers and even less so CL final material. So to take the domestic cups seriously, that's the least we could do in my book. This was disappointing.
Last night counted
Well should have counted
Going out earlier rounds with a mixed team can happen
But at this stage we should have taken it much more serious and pkayed a first 11 to start with

I guess that means the FA Cup isn't a priority for any big club as they all rotate in the early rounds

I should have said "the" priority. But yes.

Teams want to do well in every competition and will rotate. But will prioritise. The fa cup is not as important as the league or the champions league. It's just the way it is.

Last night counted
Well should have counted
Going out earlier rounds with a mixed team can happen
But at this stage we should have taken it much more serious and pkayed a first 11 to start with
Exactly. An FA cup is the best we could realistically hope for this season, and we are in no position to look down on that trophy.

Back