• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Club mentality - domestic cups

Shall we play which teams who haven’t won anything in ages will next win another trophy before we do? I’ll go first, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa are my prediction.

Haven't read through the thread yet but, annoyed and fudged off as I am, I'm surprised at the strength of the reaction I'm seeing today to last night. Not just on this site but across the internet.

I'm in "fudged off coz I really believed this was our year but we're still doing alright and have a lot to play for" mode. To me, the glass is probably half empty but to our fan base in general it feels like it's half full, but half full with a Gooner's tinkle.

This feels like a proverbial powder keg similar to the vitriol that was unleashed on Nuno against Man U. if results start to go south in the league and we go out of the CL, Levy had better take cover.

Right, read the thread. @Grays_1890 is talking the most sense on here.

This nonsense I'm seeing about the club prioritising money and CL over trophies...really? Do people really think the likes of Conte and Stellini would go with that? Or are they picking a team that they think will win specific games? They got it wrong last night and they should carry the can for that. But people using it as a stick to beat the club with are pursuing agendas or venting frustrations.

We lost a game of cup football that we shouldn't have lost. It fudging hurts and our lack of trophies hurts. But that's football and I don't think our attitude to domestic cup competitions has been a problem over the years.

BTW, thought Porro was one of the better players last night which is encouraging after Leicester.

Rotate a couple per game, not all at once.
We could probably get away with taking two from each 11 in each game. 8 players rested. Taking four out, and probably our three best fit players, and having son in poor form along with Bentancur injured it just does not work.

Romero, kulu and kane should never all be out at one time.

Skipp motm at weekend dropped, royal is one of the form players in the league, dropped.
Sometimes it seems more like roulette than rotation.

The winner.

Right, read the thread. @Grays_1890 is talking the most sense on here.

This nonsense I'm seeing about the club prioritising money and CL over trophies...really? Do people really think the likes of Conte and Stellini would go with that? Or are they picking a team that they think will win specific games? They got it wrong last night and they should carry the can for that. But people using it as a stick to beat the club with are pursuing agendas or venting frustrations.

We lost a game of cup football that we shouldn't have lost. It fudging hurts and our lack of trophies hurts. But that's football and I don't think our attitude to domestic cup competitions has been a problem over the years.

BTW, thought Porro was one of the better players last night which is encouraging after Leicester.

"Our objective is to win the Premier League, to win the Champions League," he said.

"And then there is the FA Cup, of course, I would like to win and I would like to win the Carabao Cup, but if you want to be a big team and fight for big things, I think it is impossible if you don't use all the squad and rotate in England."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-and-champions-league-are-tottenhams-priority

Why was mourinho sacked?

"Our objective is to win the Premier League, to win the Champions League," he said.

"And then there is the FA Cup, of course, I would like to win and I would like to win the Carabao Cup, but if you want to be a big team and fight for big things, I think it is impossible if you don't use all the squad and rotate in England."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-and-champions-league-are-tottenhams-priority

Why was mourinho sacked?
Slight disingenuous using that Poch example as we were in a live chance of winning the league that season which is what he was referring too and if anything his comments are raising all round expectations

Jose was sacked because his record at the time was fcuking atrocious as was the football.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Slight disingenuous using that Poch example as we were in a live chance of winning the league that season which is what he was referring too and if anything his comments are raising all round expectations

Jose was sacked because his record at the time was fcuking atrocious as was the football.

Not because he wanted to rest players from a league game, for the cup final and daniel disagreed?

For the club i can understand it.

Ok.

He said: “To win the Carabao Cup and be in the middle of the table in the Premier League, I think today we are not talking how we are talking here. I think I was sacked a few years ago. With two or three Carabao Cups or FA Cups.

“If you don’t finish how we have finished in the last three seasons and [win] the FA Cup, I don’t know if Daniel would have too much patience with me or is very nice to say, ‘Okay, you’re 10th in the Premier League’ and give you a new contract.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-spells-out-cups-13809026

Not because he wanted to rest players for a league game, for the cup final and daniel disagreed?

For the club i can understand it.
I would suggest it was more that we had a run of 5 losses in 6 and lost to a team in Europe whose manager was in prison. Probably more to do with the tactics deployed at home against mid table fodder of zero chances and his delusion that we were the "better side" in many of those games. Or maybe it was never using a talent like Bale who was paid a fortune whose performance ironically blew up when Jose left and he actually played.

I mean there are more reasons to support the reason he was sacked than there are about those rumours

Why was mourinho sacked?

Nowhere there does he say that we sacrifice the FA Cup to qualify for the CL. That’s the narrative being pushed by some. He says he’d rather win the PL or win the CL than win the FA Cup. Not many fans would disagree with that.

Would Levy prefer qualifying for the CL? I could see that being a possibility. But he doesn’t pick the team. I can’t see Conte or Stellini picking a team for a game that they don’t think stand a good chance of winning because they want to qualify for the CL.

I would suggest it was more that we had a run of 5 losses in 6 and lost to a team in Europe whose manager was in prison. Probably more to do with the tactics deployed at home against mid table fodder of zero chances and his delusion that we were the "better side" in many of those games. Or maybe it was never using a talent like Bale who was paid a fortune whose performance ironically blew up when Jose left and he actually played.

I mean there are more reasons to support the reason he was sacked than there are about those rumours

Ok, look at it differently. How damaging to chelsea, utd or liverpool would it be to not finish in a cl place be this season? Utd would lose 30% of their addidas contract for one.

Nowhere there does he say that we sacrifice the FA Cup to qualify for the CL. That’s the narrative being pushed by some. He says he’d rather win the PL or win the CL than win the FA Cup. Not many fans would disagree with that.

Would Levy prefer qualifying for the CL? I could see that being a possibility. But he doesn’t pick the team. I can’t see Conte or Stellini picking a team for a game that they don’t think stand a good chance of winning because they want to qualify for the CL.

I never said we would sacrifice anything. Just that cl (also getting into cl) is a priority over domestic cups. Not sure why that is outrageous.

Ok.

He said: “To win the Carabao Cup and be in the middle of the table in the Premier League, I think today we are not talking how we are talking here. I think I was sacked a few years ago. With two or three Carabao Cups or FA Cups.

“If you don’t finish how we have finished in the last three seasons and [win] the FA Cup, I don’t know if Daniel would have too much patience with me or is very nice to say, ‘Okay, you’re 10th in the Premier League’ and give you a new contract.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-spells-out-cups-13809026
Taken a few strokes there TBH, mentions about his own aims and about taking Spurs to bigger levels like winning the Prem, in context, again we were within two PL chases at the time.

His comment about finishing 10th everyone would be behind, no way anyone takes the level of performances that gets you 10th every year, if yoy believe that you ain't watching the OMTs on here and he is right, no League Cup would appease anyone when any top clubs ambition

You and others compare us to our rivals, you think they would allow managers to languish midtable even with cup wins? Tuchel won the CL and got the sack because you ain't a big club or acting like a big club if your happy with your club procrastinating in mid table.

That's not about prioritising CL qualification, it's called not settling for weekly mediocrity

I never said we would sacrifice anything. Just that cl (also getting into cl) is a priority over domestic cups. Not sure why that is outrageous.
Because people are making up a rhetoric that its purposely and proactively at the expense of the cups...its really not

Because people are making up a rhetoric that its purposely and proactively at the expense of the cups...its really not

Yet we rotated a load of players yesterday and are out of the fa cup. We could have played a full strength team and rotated against wolves.

Yet we rotated a load of players yesterday and are out of the fa cup. We could have played a full strength team and rotated against wolves.
Because we played a championship team and played to the level. You honestly think we would have played the same side had we played Man United away? Doubtful

And as I've said, we have gone deep in cups ALOT in recent years and come up short and played full strength sides in the big games we lost in cups semis and finals...same as we have played full strength sides in the league and CL, supposedly priority competitions and lost...why? Because that's football.

So it's not totally like the picture that's being painted here

Anyway, people will believe what they want, not gonna change that.

Last edited:
Because we played a championship team and played to the level. You honestly think we would have played the same side had we played Man United away? Doubtful

And we played a team that rotated more than us….

If the fa cup was a priority we would have played the strongest team possible no matter the opposition.

Someone said.

It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club – a club like Tottenham Hotspur – if we're not in Europe…. we're nothing. We're nothing.”

(Not talking about brexit)

Back