• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

That is certainly the way we are going. The goal would almost make your house an energy island or alternatively tap into a local microgrid. Sounds like tomorrow's world (one for our older readers) but is actually not that far away. Imagine a house with a PV system capable of supplying and storing the house's full needs including running a heat pump and charging a car. It is not that far away in these climes.

The price of a stackable 2.4kw lithium battery is about a grand (€) now. That is a bit on the pricey side still but the prices are dropping all the time. Watch out for sodium batteries in this space which are still new but will likely replace lithium at some point. They'll drive prices way down. Not to get too far into the weeds but there are ac side batteries and dc side batteries and how they fit into your setup is different. And to blow your mind we will all be driving giant batteries soon which could power your house in a pinch or even connect to the grid. That's a whole other area of discussion.

The rate of development is awesome, but also frustrating if you're buying kit today, knowing will be outdated in a year or two. But I'd still do it. Don't have the setup at the moment, but may buy my late grandmother's cottage outside London. It is a grade 2 listed tiny cottage so not sure how you'd best apply solar? There is about an acre of land so could go on the ground, but its an ugly solution. Might be a rationale for an extension with solar on top. Its in the green belt so this could help with planning permission. All ideas at the moment, still not decided whether to buy it.

What's the deal with heat pumps?

The rate of development is awesome, but also frustrating if you're buying kit today, knowing will be outdated in a year or two. But I'd still do it. Don't have the setup at the moment, but may buy my late grandmother's cottage outside London. It is a grade 2 listed tiny cottage so not sure how you'd best apply solar? There is about an acre of land so could go on the ground, but its an ugly solution. Might be a rationale for an extension with solar on top. Its in the green belt so this could help with planning permission. All ideas at the moment, still not decided whether to buy it.

You could future-proof the setup by oversizing the inverter, which is sized to the wattage of the panels, and can be expensive to replace. Stackable batteries (google pylontech) if you want to add more later. The panels won't need to be swapped out that quickly though.
There's a good bit of chat about heat pumps in the energy saving thread.

@Kandi1977 just watching this following this discussion. Interesting to see this quite modest wind turbine doing 30kw a day in winter. Might be more suitable to your climate there. While the snow covers panels and storms rage, a couple of wind turbines could be delivering over 50% of your energy use.

@Kandi1977 just watching this following this discussion. Interesting to see this quite modest wind turbine doing 30kw a day in winter. Might be more suitable to your climate there. While the snow covers panels and storms rage, a couple of wind turbines could be delivering over 50% of your energy use.

Nope. Wouldn't get building permission for a workable size wind turbine here. And thank GHod for that!

Nope. Wouldn't get building permission for a workable size wind turbine here. And thank GHod for that!

I'm surprised there isn't some kind of communal Turbine installation to power the local town. Aren't Norway quite into these things? With your weather, turbines make perfect sense delivering lots of power when its inclement outside and you need to heat your home. Seems like an obvious solution in the northern snowy regions.

Best thing about Green Belt is you've still got all your permitted development rights, but as its listed, it's Historic England you need to worry about if they make you submit a listed building consent application. Speak to the local authority conservation officer to get an idea of what they are prepared to approve, and try to get them onside.

Best thing about Green Belt is you've still got all your permitted development rights, but as its listed, it's Historic England you need to worry about if they make you submit a listed building consent application. Speak to the local authority conservation officer to get an idea of what they are prepared to approve, and try to get them onside.

From what I know, they'll let you knock down all the outhouses, sheds, and garage, and use the combined square footage for a low-level extension. Maybe you can get more somehow. I thought Green Belt was quite stringent on development? The cottage is falling apart, parts of it are about to cave in. I know it will be costly but it has so much family history it'd be sad to see someone else develop it and punt it on.

From what I know, they'll let you knock down all the outhouses, sheds, and garage, and use the combined square footage for a low-level extension. Maybe you can get more somehow. I thought Green Belt was quite stringent on development? The cottage is falling apart, parts of it are about to cave in. I know it will be costly but it has so much family history it'd be sad to see someone else develop it and punt it on.

If that's allowed maybe a set up like in the agrivoltaics vid i posted? Panels on silts with vegetables and fruits growing underneath. You'd basically be converting the area into a green house.

I'm surprised there isn't some kind of communal Turbine installation to power the local town. Aren't Norway quite into these things? With your weather, turbines make perfect sense delivering lots of power when its inclement outside and you need to heat your home. Seems like an obvious solution in the northern snowy regions.
We have plenty of hydro power. People in general are very much against large wind turbines. It destroys a lot of nature and makes it unbearable to live several miles away from large turbine parks. Have you heard the noise they make?
Luckily We sold our cabin just in time, before a massive wind turbine park, with around 50 160m tall turbines, was erected about 20km away, up on a mountain.
The noise near that cabin now is unbearable. Would not have been able to sell it now.
"Small" turbines for "personal" use present a whole host of other issues.

Green Belt is quite stringent, but you've got all your permitted development. I designed and got permission for this in Green Belt:IMG-20220812-WA0000.jpgBy arguing that the additional area was equivalent to what is deemed acceptable under permitted development, it therefore could not be considered over development.
Before:IMG-20221106-WA0002.jpg
Yours being listed through, puts you at the mercy of the Conservation Officer.

Green Belt is quite stringent, but you've got all your permitted development. I designed and got permission for this in Green Belt:View attachment 14718By arguing that the additional area was equivalent to what is deemed acceptable under permitted development, it therefore could not be considered over development.
Before:View attachment 14719
Yours being listed through, puts you at the mercy of the Conservation Officer.
Nice job.

Back